Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Panic Button Deactivation

by Warof1812, January 4, 2007

I keep hitting the dang thing when I'm fumbling with my keys, usually early in the morning or late at night. I'm sure my neighbors must love me. Is there an easy way to deactivate the panic feature while retaining the other keyless entry features?

I keep hitting the dang thing when I'm fumbling with my keys, usually early in the morning or late at night. I'm sure my neighbors must love me. Is there an easy way to deactivate the panic feature while retaining the other keyless entry features?

Put a piece of tape over it like electrical tape or the like.You cannot have it deactivated.

Good luck

Bikeman982

Is that on the remote door lock?

Yup - the OEM Toyota ones have a panic button the backside of the key fob remote. I haven't had a problem yet, but came close a few times - fortunantly, the button is slightly recessed and you can sort of feel when you are touching it.

• 1,424 posts

Yes. The Remote has three buttons on it. On the front are the buttons that lock and unlock the car. The lock button locks all 4 doors, the unlock button unlocks the driver's door the first time you press it, then it unlocks the other doors with another press. On the back there is a red button that is slightly inset. When you push it your lights flash and your horn honks for a couple of minutes.

When you unlock the car it also turns on the dome light and flashes the parking lamps twice. When you lock the car it turns off the dome light and flashes the parking lamps once. It is important to note that the doors will not lock if any one of them is opened.

To make it more complicated, different Toyotas have different keyless entry systems. The Camry's keyless does all the same things that the Corolla's keyless does, but it beeps once when you lock the car and twice when you unlock it in addition to the lights flashing. It will emit a long beep if you try to lock the car with a door opened. It can also open the trunk, which the Corolla's keyless can not do.

The keyless on the top of the line Avalon is really sophisticated. It is a smart key. You carry around a plastic fob in your pocket, and when you get close to the car, the car recognizes the signature of your fob and places the doors on unlock standby. All you have to do is press a small switch on the driver's door and the door unlocks. You can then get into the car (keeping the fob in your pocket) and press the start button. The car will start and you can drive off. There are switches on the driver's and front passenger's doors as well as on the trunk to provide for easier access. This system is the most advanced key system available on any production automobile. It has proximity sensors so it knows when you are close enough to the car to place it on priority standby and it has a unique signature for each fob so it can recognizes who is driving the car and adjust the seats, mirrors and other setting according to that driver's preferences. Mercedes Benz pioneered it several years ago on their 120k S600 as an expensive option. Now less than 10 years later the same system is found on the Avalon Limited.

Here is a video of the system in action

• 1,424 posts

You pop the remote apart and remove the red rubber piece and then tape over the hole that is left with electrical tape from the outside. Now the button is so far recessed into the remote you can't possibly press it.

However, your remote will no longer be waterproof, so don't wash it with your jeans.

on my 05, the red button is plastic inside a rubber gasket.

you can open up the remote, pull off the rubber gasket, remove the button, put the gasket back, and put the remote back together. This way it is still waterproof, and it is possible to use the panic feature (the find your car in a parking lot feature) if you use a key or possibly your little finger to push on the black rubber inside. But the panic will no longer go off by accident

This is what I did with my remotes--takes less than 10 seconds a remote.

-Ben

Off topic - that is one cool video of the Avalon Limited keyless system. Probably not cheap to replace - so no good for me, some days - I'd forget my head if it wasn't already tied to my body.

Solution: stop being so lazy and unlock the door with the key.

While it is true that I have gotten used to using the remote to lock and unlock my car doors, I don't believe that qualifies me as lazy. There are other habits which probably do; but this is an unfair characterisation.

I hit the panic most often when fumbling for my house key with my hands full of groceries. I like 99contour & the King's suggestion of removing the button itself from inside the case. Thanks for input.

I was hoping Toyota might have given us the option of turning off that feature (like the automatic headlights - another pet peeve) but I guess we Americans are not to be trusted with our own safety.

I miss my '63 Dodge Dart with its metal dashboard - always kept me mindful of maintaining a 2 second space cushion.

Bikeman982

While it is true that I have gotten used to using the remote to lock and unlock my car doors, I don't believe that qualifies me as lazy. There are other habits which probably do; but this is an unfair characterisation.

I hit the panic most often when fumbling for my house key with my hands full of groceries. I like 99contour & the King's suggestion of removing the button itself from inside the case. Thanks for input.

I was hoping Toyota might have given us the option of turning off that feature (like the automatic headlights - another pet peeve) but I guess we Americans are not to be trusted with our own safety.

I miss my '63 Dodge Dart with its metal dashboard - always kept me mindful of maintaining a 2 second space cushion.

The suggestions to open it and remove the button, and then close and tape it sound practical for you.

Is it screwed together or just snapped together? I don't have one.

• 1,424 posts
The suggestions to open it and remove the button, and then close and tape it sound practical for you.Is it screwed together or just snapped together? I don't have one.

It snaps together. All you have to do is take a quarter and place it in the slot at the top of the remote, then twist the quarter. The remote will pop into a front half and a back half. You do what you will to the inside and then you pop the halfs back together.

As 99contour says, it snaps and it was a very easy solution - took me about 2 minutes. My neighbors and I thank you guys.

I took a look at it before I took it apart and the button was almost perfectly flush with the case. Is it supposed to be like that? It seems like it should be recessed.

Bikeman982

As 99contour says, it snaps and it was a very easy solution - took me about 2 minutes. My neighbors and I thank you guys.

I took a look at it before I took it apart and the button was almost perfectly flush with the case. Is it supposed to be like that? It seems like it should be recessed.

If you opened it and removed the button, you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Be sure and tape up the opening where the button was.

Guest tiz

Yes. The Remote has three buttons on it. On the front are the buttons that lock and unlock the car. The lock button locks all 4 doors, the unlock button unlocks the driver's door the first time you press it, then it unlocks the other doors with another press. On the back there is a red button that is slightly inset. When you push it your lights flash and your horn honks for a couple of minutes.

When you unlock the car it also turns on the dome light and flashes the parking lamps twice. When you lock the car it turns off the dome light and flashes the parking lamps once. It is important to note that the doors will not lock if any one of them is opened.

To make it more complicated, different Toyotas have different keyless entry systems. The Camry's keyless does all the same things that the Corolla's keyless does, but it beeps once when you lock the car and twice when you unlock it in addition to the lights flashing. It will emit a long beep if you try to lock the car with a door opened. It can also open the trunk, which the Corolla's keyless can not do.

The keyless on the top of the line Avalon is really sophisticated. It is a smart key. You carry around a plastic fob in your pocket, and when you get close to the car, the car recognizes the signature of your fob and places the doors on unlock standby. All you have to do is press a small switch on the driver's door and the door unlocks. You can then get into the car (keeping the fob in your pocket) and press the start button. The car will start and you can drive off. There are switches on the driver's and front passenger's doors as well as on the trunk to provide for easier access. This system is the most advanced key system available on any production automobile. It has proximity sensors so it knows when you are close enough to the car to place it on priority standby and it has a unique signature for each fob so it can recognizes who is driving the car and adjust the seats, mirrors and other setting according to that driver's preferences. Mercedes Benz pioneered it several years ago on their 120k S600 as an expensive option. Now less than 10 years later the same system is found on the Avalon Limited.

Guest tiz

i have a 2006 corolla S, is there a way to make the horn "chirp" when you lock the doors?

• 1,424 posts

i have a 2006 corolla S, is there a way to make the horn "chirp" when you lock the doors?

There is a way to do anything to a car, but there is no built in provision for chirping on the Corolla. So unless you want to upgrade to aftermarket keyless or figure out a way to rewire the keyless module to signal a chirp horn (which you could source from the 2005 and later Camry), there is not a way to make the Corolla chirp.

Topic List