Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Napa Oil Filters

by induction1, September 9, 2004

i've noticed the new napa nascar oil filters which claim to spiral the oil in the filter as opposed to the conventional means of oil filtration. this, of course, is supposed to better filter the oil and allow for better flow. i'm a die hard purolator man, but i'm tempted to try the new napa filter. it's only 30 cents more. any experience, thoughts, or ideas?

thanks

Sounds too clever by half. I'll stick to my genuine Toyota-brand oil filters for my Corolla. I have a case of them!

Sounds good on paper - unfortunately doesn't work that way. Filters are a pass-no pass type of medium. Surface effects and velociy of fluid over a surface do have some effect to overall filtration (spiral effect) - but any gains are lost in the noise versus overall filtering ability of an oil filter.

Good marketing idea though.

From the filter disassembly photos I've seen, the Napa filters are perfectly fine filters. Nothing wrong with using them.

I use Pure1 filters, personally. They're the only ones I've used (including Toyota) where the oil stays visibly cleaner, and they're available everywhere.

I have no idea if visibly cleaner = less engine wear, but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And there's no denying the Pure1 filter is a well-made, outstanding filter. I hate, detest, and loathe my local Toyota dealer, so I don't want to go there for anything, let alone oil filters.

Much more important than the brand of filter (well, just don't install any of that junk from Fram) is that you just change the oil and filter regularly. I go every 5K miles since my commute is 65 highway miles each way. For my wife's RAV4 (driven mostly in town), I change every 3K miles.

Well if Napa has a new redesigned filter it was designed, engineered, tested and manufactured by Wix corp,which would be a verrrrry good designed filter.

****uming, of course, that toyota ones are the best filters, would they not have incorporated this spiral idea into factory filters?

nah, gimmie my normal valvoline filters.....................

Filter for my rolla 05 looks like a Briggs & Stratton that goes on my Cub Cadet mower.

I have got to stop using Fram filters...

Topic List