Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

07 Yaris

by Access-Denied, December 18, 2006

Access-Denied (+1)

Been looking at a the new 07 Yaris to replace my 96 Prizm.

Any thoughts on em? Anyone test driven em? Any known problems? Anything to look for?

IMO the yaris looks like a toy car, and from what ive heard you can get a base corolla for what the yaris costs with the same options.

If you aren't interested in the hatch, I wouldn't bother with the 4 door sedan. Mainly just because a hatch 5sp is the only way to spends thousands less then the Corolla.

I don't fully understand why Toyota raised it's prices. We got our car right before the 05 gas price jump and with the summer $500 rebate, we got a LE 5sp out the door for 14K even. The yaris s is $13,425 MSRP without any added option package or delivery charges.

Access-Denied (+1)

Local dealer website has the 2door hatchback listed for 12,500. Which is only why I'm looking at em.

Pretty ugly car. But most sub compact cars are. Maybe I'll get myself to a dealer and physically take a closer look.

If you aren't interested in the hatch, I wouldn't bother with the 4 door sedan. Mainly just because a hatch 5sp is the only way to spends thousands less then the Corolla.

I don't fully understand why Toyota raised it's prices. We got our car right before the 05 gas price jump and with the summer $500 rebate, we got a LE 5sp out the door for 14K even. The yaris s is $13,425 MSRP without any added option package or delivery charges.

the corolla is a lot more car for the money. Besides being bigger and heavier, with more horsepower, it gets better gas mileage.

Anybody have a link for horsepower/mileage ratio for common cars? This would seem to bee a good indicator of quality of engineering. I rented Chevy (Diawoo) aveo. Tiny, with no power--it got about 20 mpg!

Ben

yea i heard some other aveo owners complaining about milage in the 20s! what the heck, tiny car and tiny engine, and its getting milage in the 20s?

Second on Corolla as your best bet. Luxury feeling too.

Local dealer website has the 2door hatchback listed for 12,500. Which is only why I'm looking at em.

Pretty ugly car. But most sub compact cars are. Maybe I'll get myself to a dealer and physically take a closer look.

I Yaris is rated at 34/40MPG for the manual. It could probably get it too. It is pretty much the same car as the Echo was and the car is sold in other countries as the Yaris. So, it's not a new platform or engine. I've been in a echo rental and my only complaints was the looks and the seats. My biggest worry about the Yaris would be Toyota putting low end seats that hurt your back if you try driving longer then a short trip across town. I personally think the Yaris looks pretty decent for a sub compact car. The curb weight matched with the HP wouldn't make it much of a slower car, if any slower the a Corolla. I had a 91 CRX Si that was rated at 108HP, 100' torque (the year before vtec), and a curb weight of 2174lbs. The Yaris is a little more, but it also has a tad more power and VVTi and the cars would probably be pretty close. Anyway, I was able to keep up with a NA Mini in my CRX. No it's not fast, but because of the light weight, it was fun in the corners.

The front bumper is flush with the grille.

One parking lot tap could do a world of damage.

Very poor value when you have to add back stuff like rear window defroster that is standard in Corollas.

A 5sp hatch with option package C is $13,070 with delivery. A Corolla CE with package C is $15,440. I depends on how much extra cash the buyer has. I personally wouldn't get the CE because of the smaller tires and cheaper seats that hurt on long trips.

The sticker price on our 05 LE 5sp with package B was 15,800 sticker. Now the same car is $16,305. Toyota just raised prices just a tad. I would never pay sticker price. A good buyer should be able to get the 5sp yaris hatch with package c out the door for around 12K. Maybe a tad less depending on how well they are selling and how many the dealer has in stock at the end of the month.

If you are really interested in the Yaris, check edmunds to see what the average sales price is in your area. Always try to spend less then that. Take up a LOT of the sales persons time. Stay all day at the dealership taking multiple test drives, and drive where you want to go, not where the sales person tells you to drive. Drive it on the HWY before you buy it and makes sure you are happy with it. Also, taking up all the sales persons time is going to make him want to make a sale at the end of the day. Even if he only makes a few hundred. A great buy is the sales person making $250 in commission. Normally, they want to make more, but if you took up hours of his time, and your ready to walk, the sales person will want to make something off of you. Ya, it's a little dirty, but you know they make too much money off of someone who paid sticker or close to it. Let someone else pay for the sales person to take his family out for steak that night.

speaking of distance from front bumper to grill--the more imortant distance is front bumper to engine block. My 99 subaru, which I hit a dear with a 70 mph, was salvageable to someone because that distance was at least 18 inches. I checked out a mini when looking at my next car. That distance was no more than 3 inches. Wouldn't take much to total one of those.

New Corolla's cost a lot to repair too. A corolla would probably be a tad safer then a Yaris, but only weighing in a few 100lbs more, the Corolla isn't the safest car on the road. When our car had 500 miles on it, it was hit in the rear at a stop light by a crown vic. We got tossed around pretty good, hurt for weeks/months, and it cost over a grand (not at our cost) to get a new painted bumper and new impact foam and to have the air bag system reset.

For the size of the car, the Yaris has a good crash rating. http://www.automotive.com/2007/12/toyota/y...fety/index.html

I wouldn't want to meet up with a large car or SUV in a Corolla or a Yaris. Ideally, I would never want to get in a wreck, but they happen and the new cars do crush better then the old ones. I use the old fashion tool of good driving to account for the million air bags and stability control that I can't afford.

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzcras1...-business-print

That might be some what true, but the way the open line was written, I'd think that someone from a oil company paid for that. Funny how other countries can safely have sub compact cars, but in the US, they just don't work. Ya, your better off buying a H3. It's big, bulky and guarantied to smash the crap out of a small car.

The US has been brainwashed and articles like that don't help.

I think the drivers need to change rather than what they drive.

the solution is to simply ban the big road hogs default_laugh

Bikeman982

I am not real comfortable with the way they look and I would never buy one.

I wasn't trying to say that the Yaris (or similar cars) are unsafe, just merely showing the crash test results.

I wasn't trying to say that the Yaris (or similar cars) are unsafe, just merely showing the crash test results.

I wasn't picking on you, just the article and the way it was written. I had already posted crash test and I thought they were pretty good for a sub compact car.

The fact of the matter is, auto makers are trying to sell sub compact cars again. I am all for that. Well, except the Aveo if it only gets 20MPG. That's getting in to V8 fuel economy.

I agree that the way the article is written it makes it sound like sub compact cars are not safe at all. Matter of fact is that SUVs/Trucks aren't that safe either. A quick google of F150 crash test photos will show what i'm talking about. And I think post people have seen the pics of crashed Hummers, with the Hummers pretty much falling apart.

Hi

Well I got a 2007 Corolla S 5 spd and my step daughter got a 2007 Yaris (auto) 2 dr hatch.

Yes the Corolla is far more car indeed, but I must admit after driving in that little Yaris that it is a stunning little car.

Its quick enough for both city and highway driving and is very stable, handles well.

Is well built and feels pretty solid, been a smaller car the one big advantage is getting into smaller spaces.

I agree though that the cost is pretty close to that of a Corolla.

But I think for woman in perticular the little Yaris hatchback is probably the cutest car in production today.(and lets not forgot the kind of MPG this car can give having that awesome little 1.6L motor with VVT-i)

Cheers

Sheldon

Topic List