Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Just Turned 160,000 Miles

by Bikeman982, December 17, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

I got over 300k out of a 90 civic on the original lower end - and I drove the hell out of it til I finally sold it - still running. It was the 1.5L SOHC motor though, I don't think the DOHC motor lasted quite so well. That was probably the best car I'll ever own - the only real problem with them was that the axles clicked and as long as you kept the CV boots good, just ignore it. Here's to another 160 on your rolla! I know I'm driving mine into the ground default_smile
I have to ask - why did you get rid of the car?

What makes people get rid of cars?

I got over 300k out of a 90 civic on the original lower end - and I drove the hell out of it til I finally sold it - still running. It was the 1.5L SOHC motor though, I don't think the DOHC motor lasted quite so well. That was probably the best car I'll ever own - the only real problem with them was that the axles clicked and as long as you kept the CV boots good, just ignore it. Here's to another 160 on your rolla! I know I'm driving mine into the ground default_smile

Usually around 300K miles, the car is falling apart. Just because it still runs and drives doesn't mean it is a good or even nice ride. Cars start to look ugly, worn, rusted. Suspension bushings are dry rotting and need to be replaced. Break lines might be getting rusty. The power steering rack is probably a little leaky with too much play. The list goes on and on. Cars wear out and they need to be replaced at some point.

The only time I could see having a car with really high miles is if it is driven a LOT and the 300K miles was put on in a few years. Plain old age and weather conditions cause most of the problems I listed, not just miles, so if the car is not too old, it could probably keep going. When I had a 91 Honda with 13xK miles, the engine was ready to go in another car. A lot of times, that's what people will do if they want to save some money or if they have a engine that is good for the long haul. A long time ago I worked at Cummins Engine Company and I saw guys in the shop transporting the Dodge/Cummings diesel turbo engine (a 35K truck option) in to a newer truck once they trashed a older truck. I think the engines are good for about 500K miles or so. Maybe more.

Bikeman982

Usually around 300K miles, the car is falling apart. Just because it still runs and drives doesn't mean it is a good or even nice ride. Cars start to look ugly, worn, rusted. Suspension bushings are dry rotting and need to be replaced. Break lines might be getting rusty. The power steering rack is probably a little leaky with too much play. The list goes on and on. Cars wear out and they need to be replaced at some point.

The only time I could see having a car with really high miles is if it is driven a LOT and the 300K miles was put on in a few years. Plain old age and weather conditions cause most of the problems I listed, not just miles, so if the car is not too old, it could probably keep going. When I had a 91 Honda with 13xK miles, the engine was ready to go in another car. A lot of times, that's what people will do if they want to save some money or if they have a engine that is good for the long haul. A long time ago I worked at Cummins Engine Company and I saw guys in the shop transporting the Dodge/Cummings diesel turbo engine (a 35K truck option) in to a newer truck once they trashed a older truck. I think the engines are good for about 500K miles or so. Maybe more.

So the case is made that although the car is good and the engine is also good, with high mileage - other parts are too worn to make keeping the car a viable option.

Also some engines will outlast the car body and they can be swapped into a vehicle with a better body.

I also add that people tire of a vehicle and will want to change.

BMF_RACING

well i would say with the recomonded maitence it could easily see 300K, i mean look at some of the old corollas, ive seen some that where 300K+ i drove a 74 that had 350K on the engine and it was still peppy

I just purchased a 1990 corolla 5-spped at a local police auction for $300 bucks. It needed a clutch, but it runs like a champ and just clicked over 293,000 miles. It looks rough but runs good. My goal it 500,000 on factory motor and trans. The cool part is who ever owned it before me kept great records which were in the glove box.

Bikeman982

well i would say with the recomonded maitence it could easily see 300K, i mean look at some of the old corollas, ive seen some that where 300K+ i drove a 74 that had 350K on the engine and it was still peppy

I just purchased a 1990 corolla 5-spped at a local police auction for $300 bucks. It needed a clutch, but it runs like a champ and just clicked over 293,000 miles. It looks rough but runs good. My goal it 500,000 on factory motor and trans. The cool part is who ever owned it before me kept great records which were in the glove box.

Some people don't really care how their car looks on the outside, as long as it runs.

Other people will spend lots of money to get a good-looking car, whether it runs good or not.

Guest herrwolf

I just hit 306,000 with my 1994 Corolla. I bought it a while back with only 100,000 miles so over 200,000 of those miles are mine.

Bikeman982

I am working on 165,000 miles. I hope to reach 200,000 on the car before I sell it.

I am working on 165,000 miles. I hope to reach 200,000 on the car before I sell it.
100k......150k......200k.....250k............300k...........350k............awe heck why not 400k!

It was a sad day for me, when Old Yeller finally wouldnt get up past 25 mph. I almost cried. Oh well, I coudnt complain, after all how often does anyone have a car who's original engine finally gives up (although not totally because I drive it to the wrecking yard and it wasnt even smoking) at 435,000 miles. Yes the engine had never been cracked open. The only non maintenance work done was a new timing gear/chain set at about 320k , a tranny bearing and clutch job at 275k. And it was even a pushrod engine. It was 78 corolla pseudoSR5 ( the engine was the 2tc, 5 spd, 17570R13 tires. The only non SR5 item from the factory was the rear end was not the heavy duty wagon axle).

Hello,

I am impressed with the mileage you guys have accumulated on your cars! I personally have never ran a car much over 100,000 miles myself. Either the car starts to need too many big ticket repairs or the harsh winters here in my neck of the woods usually kill them.

High mileage on a used car has always been a deterrent for me. Right now, I have a 2000 Corolla that I bought about a year ago that had only 34,000 miles on it. I don't drive it that much, so, I've only managed to add about another 4,000 miles to it over the past year. But, judging from what I've been reading, I've got a long, long, long way to go............hopefully!!!! default_smile

Anyway, best of luck to all of my fellow Corolla owners!!!!!! default_biggrin May they all last for many, many more miles!!!!

Regards,

timkedz

My bit of advice to anyone that wants to go the distance is to use good quality oil and not overheat under any circumstances.

I drive my cars a long time if they are worthy of keeping in the fleet.

I had a nice clean low mileage 1998 Ford Ranger 2WD truck that I couldn't wait to get rid of after a year.

Prior to that was a $1600 1989 Grand Marquis that I loved and drove til 250K miles. I got rid of "The Livingroom" because she was letting me down too often at the end of her life.

This 1995 Corolla appears to be bulletproof after almost 100K miles. Pretty much all I do is change the oil. It's not sexy or exciting but surely the most dependable car I have ever had.

Jay in MA

Hello,

I am impressed with the mileage you guys have accumulated on your cars! I personally have never ran a car much over 100,000 miles myself. Either the car starts to need too many big ticket repairs or the harsh winters here in my neck of the woods usually kill them.

High mileage on a used car has always been a deterrent for me. Right now, I have a 2000 Corolla that I bought about a year ago that had only 34,000 miles on it. I don't drive it that much, so, I've only managed to add about another 4,000 miles to it over the past year. But, judging from what I've been reading, I've got a long, long, long way to go............hopefully!!!! default_smile

Anyway, best of luck to all of my fellow Corolla owners!!!!!! default_biggrin May they all last for many, many more miles!!!!

Regards,

timkedz

Bikeman982

I have been "flipping" Corollas and if my project car is better than the one I am driving - I keep it and sell my daily driver.

I like the body style and ease of maintenance on the 7th generation Corollas and I have three right now.

One is my daily driver and it has almost 171,000 miles on it.

The old project car I drive a few times a week and it has 175,000 miles on it.

The new project car is in my garage and has no engine/tranny in it.

The odometer has 243,000 miles on it. I plan on fixing it up and either keeping it to drive or sell it for profit.

Mine is an 08 have about 5024 miles, will be at 160K in about 6 years with my daily 62 mile commute 6 days a week

Bikeman982

Mine is an 08 have about 5024 miles, will be at 160K in about 6 years with my daily 62 mile commute 6 days a week
Are you sure you won't trade it for a '12 in about 4 years??

whoa i thought i drove alot...im driving a 95 dx with 171,600 miles so far...minor maintenance but besides that no major worries, i'll see 500k one day...

Bikeman982

Some cars are used as rentals and have quite a bit of miles put on them.

They are sold after a few years and can have many more miles by someone with a traveling job or long daily commutes.

Having a 1995 with 171,000 miles is actually a low yearly average.

Most people put on about 18,000 miles a year on a car, give or take a few thousand.

my 93 has 131 thousand on it, its very low miles for its age.

Bikeman982

my 93 has 131 thousand on it, its very low miles for its age.
Very low mileage for a vehicle that old.

Must not be driven very far.

I have several spare instrument clusters and can make whatever mileage I want for a car.

I have a gold 2005 LE automatic that I bought used 3 months ago with about 36,500mi on the odometer. I buy all my cars used. I bought the car because I liked the look and feel despite the far away feel of the steering wheel, and the long road life of the brand.

Until recently I could only afford "well used" cars (9-10 years old), so I could not keep them for very long. The cost would have been prohibitive.

Here is my history:

1-1984 Oldsmobile Firenza (remember Adam Sandler's song "Piece of S-!t Car?") 2 years

2-1991 Nissan Sentra XE manual (slapped the jersey wall) 3 years

3-1989 Maxda MX-5 (severe oil leaks destroyed the alternator) 6 months

4-1994 Nissan Sentra XE manual (traded in for Corolla just shy of 200K miles)4 years

The Corolla is the "newest" used car I've ever purchased. It hurt to write that check to the dealer. I don't want to do that again for at least 10 years. I average about 15K miles per year so with basic maintanence and no jersey walls getting in my way I should succeed.

Bikeman982

I have a gold 2005 LE automatic that I bought used 3 months ago with about 36,500mi on the odometer. I buy all my cars used. I bought the car because I liked the look and feel despite the far away feel of the steering wheel, and the long road life of the brand.

Until recently I could only afford "well used" cars (9-10 years old), so I could not keep them for very long. The cost would have been prohibitive.

Here is my history:

1-1984 Oldsmobile Firenza (remember Adam Sandler's song "Piece of S-!t Car?") 2 years

2-1991 Nissan Sentra XE manual (slapped the jersey wall) 3 years

3-1989 Maxda MX-5 (severe oil leaks destroyed the alternator) 6 months

4-1994 Nissan Sentra XE manual (traded in for Corolla just shy of 200K miles)4 years

The Corolla is the "newest" used car I've ever purchased. It hurt to write that check to the dealer. I don't want to do that again for at least 10 years. I average about 15K miles per year so with basic maintanence and no jersey walls getting in my way I should succeed.

Glad to see you are moving up in the automotive world.

Congratulations on the 'rolla. Enjoy.

Not a Corolla, but still a Toyota. Years ago my older sister was given (FREE) an 83? Tercel manual tranny with plenty of miles on it and a scratched windshield. That windshield and the oil was the only thing she ever had replaced in that car. She had the car for about 4 years.

That ugly car broke down on her ONE time -- the gas gauge stopped working and she ran out of gas!

She traded that car in still working with over 330K on the odometer and the original clutch. The body had a lot of rust holes that Bondo couldn't fix.

I hope the paint on the new Corollas hold up better.

Bikeman982

Not a Corolla, but still a Toyota. Years ago my older sister was given (FREE) an 83? Tercel manual tranny with plenty of miles on it and a scratched windshield. That windshield and the oil was the only thing she ever had replaced in that car. She had the car for about 4 years.

That ugly car broke down on her ONE time -- the gas gauge stopped working and she ran out of gas!

She traded that car in still working with over 330K on the odometer and the original clutch. The body had a lot of rust holes that Bondo couldn't fix.

I hope the paint on the new Corollas hold up better.

My daughter is on her second Tercel.

The first one I helped her sell, because it needed a paint job.

The car ran great, but the clear coat was all peeling off.

She got an identical car (a couple of years newer).

Now the exact same thing is happening to that car.

The car runs great, but the clear coat is peeling.

I think Toyota is lacking on the paint quality.

From Bikeman982:

I'm hoping that washing and the occasional wax or polish would prevent that. I plan to put some effort into keep this car looking new despite being parked on the street all of the time.

The first Sentra that I had turned from red to pink on me (oxidized paint). With the second one I made an effort to keep a layer of wax on the thing to avoid driving a "pink" car. That and waxing is good aerobic exercise!

Bikeman982

From Bikeman982:

I'm hoping that washing and the occasional wax or polish would prevent that. I plan to put some effort into keep this car looking new despite being parked on the street all of the time.

The first Sentra that I had turned from red to pink on me (oxidized paint). With the second one I made an effort to keep a layer of wax on the thing to avoid driving a "pink" car. That and waxing is good aerobic exercise!

Keep a layer of wax on it and keep it out of the sun as much as possible.

The red paint seems to be deficient on fade resistance.

Toyota clear coat (at least on the 90's cars) seems to be lacking toughness.

I don't know how waxing could be aerobic (unless you jog while doing it), but it is sure good exercise.

I drive a 2005 Toyota Corolla CE that was purchased in 2004 for the 2005 model year. So far it has 166K. Lets see what has happened to it, almost over rev'd when I was stuck in snow, drove about 5km with no trans fluid, no 4 tires are presently alike.

My 2000 Corolla VE was sold in 2004. When it hit 156K.

yeah mine is 400 miles away from 160k, its a 95 though. hmm what kind of changes will I be looking for?

Topic List