Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Fluid Leak On 2006 Corolla

by jfmtnbiker, December 14, 2006

On Thursday of last week I got the oil changed in my 2006 Toyota Corolla at the Toyota dealer. Today I came home from work and noticed that in the bay of the garage where my wife parks the car, there was fluid on the concrete.

The fluid definitely had an oil texture. In fact, it seems as though it is motor oil to me, althought it just didn't look dark enough in color. I understand that fresh oil would be light in color, but I just am not convinced it is oil.

I immediately called my wife and had her check the oil before leaving work to come home. She discovered two fresh drops of oil in the parking lot when going out to her car. My intiial thought was the maybe during the oil change the filter was not tightened or it had a bad seal. After looking around the oil filter, I saw nothing that even indicated the slightest drop or leak of oil.

I also checked the power steering fluid, brake fluid, and coolant reservoirs. All of them seemed fine. I did not crawl underneath the vehicle, but I am no mechanic either.

I decided to inspect the passenger front wheel well. The wheel well had spots of oil that looked like they were thrown on the inside of the fender. Is it possible that I blew the shock on the passenger side front? Would the fluid be consistent with the description I have provided?

Bikeman982

Sometimes during oil changes, they are not real careful when keeping the area clean and end up spilling oil inside the engine area.

It is possible that some oil was spilled and it could easily have been on one of the belts that would have thrown it around the engine area.

It could also have dripped on the splash guards and eventually will find its way to the ground.

The new oil would be a light color. Also check the drain plug area - it is the lowest point on the oil pan and it could also be leaking there.

Getting underneath the car to see where the drip is coming from is the best way to find the source. You may also be able to see any oil spills on the engine from the top with a torch. You can always take the car back to the dealer and check it out with them.

Bikeman982

Put a piece of cardboard under the car where it is leaking and note where it drops from.

Then you can look up to see if it is the filter, or plug area.

It might be residual oil that was dropped on your engine.

It could be a definite leak and it will continue, so check the level often.

To find it from underneath you would need to remove the splash guards to check.

is the bottom of the pan and the drain bolt free of oil?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)