Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Favorite Tires Retire, New Pick

by jupiterboy, December 5, 2006

Yeps, the Azenis ST-115s that I've always loved are on the outs and I'm forced to look at something else. I usually get about 20 grand out of a set, and I'm looking for something not so loud, no tramline, stiff sidewall, very good dry and wet, snow not such and issue.

Whatcha got? Size is 215/17/45. default_sad

i like the yokohama H4s i have, they wear well and bite into dry and wet roads nicely and are all weather temp rated. they bite just as well on a 20 degree day as they do on an 80 degree day.

I hear good things about the Falken Ziex 512 tires also, also all season temps.

if you want summer only then the pilot sport 2 is a very nice tire, but very fast wearing at less then 200 treadwear.

hankook ventus rs-2's check them out and get back to us on your thoughts, thats all i run, they have noise like an r compound so that means like no noise, alot of sizes, good dry and wet, very comparable to the azenis but they are cheaper

Max

Bridgestone Turanza LS-T. Quiet, great grip wet or dry. Also hear good things about the Potenza G009, which might be more your style as it's a performance tire that still gives a smooth ride.

Keep 'em coming.

The RS-2s sound like a good value. I see them for $107 each.

Some good tire choices - based on what you had before (the ones I listed below are ones that I've run personally or have colleagues that gave good reviews on):

NOTE: I listed the UTQG ratings as well - but you should always treat them as only usuable in comparing tires from the same manufacturer - as different manufacturers use different methods to determine these "universal" ratings.

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 300 AA A

- massive amounts of dry grip

- very good wet performance

- lasts surprising long for a performance oriented tire

BFGoodrich g-ForceTM Sport 300 AA A

Dunlop SP Sport 9000 280 AA A

- pretty good lifespan, probably similar to what you had before

Dunlop SP Sport MAXX 240 AA A

- pretty good lifespan, probably similar to what you had before

Falken FK-452 300 AA A

- probably one of the best bang for the buck tires

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 280 AA A

- pretty good lifespan, probably similar to what you had before- probably one of the more expensive ones in the bunch (Michelins equivalents are more expensive)

- love/hate kind of tire depending on conditions

Hankook Ventus R-S2 200 A A

- decent wet performance

- lasts surprising short (most of the Scooby guys have them wear out in less than 10K - but the tire is like a rubber gumball, great for dry)

Kumho Ecsta MX 220 AA A

- decent wet performance

- lasts about average a performance oriented tire

Kumho Ecsta SPT 320 AA A

- decent wet performance

- some love them , some hate them - similar to the 712s

Toyo Proxes T1R 280 AA A

- pretty good lifespan, probably similar to what you had before- probably one of the best bang for the buck tires

Yokohama AVS ES100 280 AA A

- lasts surprising long for a performance oriented tire (I've gotten about 20K with HARD driving on these - very progressive tire, can recover well from a break away)

AVON tech and Michelins have some really nice ones too - but I haven't played with them myself or have people close that have them to test.

ya as long as you dont have to deal with snow its an awesome tire (rs2's)

So what's up on the noise level? I have to say I'm getting better prices on the 452s and am leaning in that direction.

noise level on the rs2's is much like an r compoud, doesnt ahve really any noise at all unless you are like really spinning out, i hate noise so thats the good thing, for street and track tire you really cant get better that the rs'2s the azenis are about the same but usually cost more, ive races and driven both tires, they both are about the same

Thanks for all the responses. The RS-2s are pricing at $107 and the 452s at $98. If I don't like these Falkens as well as the 115s then I'll try the Hankook for sure. Treadwear rating and reports of softer sidewall swayed me to the Falkens. I hope they are as good as the 115s.

If you liked the 115s - the FK series will fell even better. They are OEM tires on the mega bucks sports cars and sports luxury. Good for "spirited" driving with great wet/dry performance. Some have complained about the noise levels with the FK - but most reviews I've seen, especially from the Subie fans - really like the FK series, good ride without being punishing. Those will be my choice once the weather warms up next year.

Bikeman982

I think the "Legacy" tires I got from Big O Tires are very good.

I'm having to shop for tires for my Mustang and I need all weather because summer tires can't be driven on cold roads, even if they are clear and I want to drive it as long as snow isn't on the ground.

Anyway, I've been looking for a few weeks and I am down to two choices.

The Yokohama Avid V4s and the BFGoodrich KDWS. Read up reviews on tirerack.com

I'm leaning more to the BFGoodrich tires because they come stock on the GTO and a lot of RWD V8 guys like them because of long tread life.

Bikeman982

I'm having to shop for tires for my Mustang and I need all weather because summer tires can't be driven on cold roads, even if they are clear and I want to drive it as long as snow isn't on the ground.

Anyway, I've been looking for a few weeks and I am down to two choices.

The Yokohama Avid V4s and the BFGoodrich KDWS. Read up reviews on tirerack.com

I'm leaning more to the BFGoodrich tires because they come stock on the GTO and a lot of RWD V8 guys like them because of long tread life.

I had BF Goodrich Radial T/A's on my custom van and they were excellent.

I had 50 series mounted on Cragar SS mags.

They looked great.

After a lot of searching, reading reviews, I ended up taking a small chance and getting Sumitomo HTR+ from tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...yes&place=6

They are very affordable and I got my tires delivered and installed for around $400. I wanted more cash for Christmas, but also, all the good reviews kind of sold me.

I can't really say much about how long they will last since I just got them, but most of the reviews say good things about tread wear (360 rating).

As far as how they drive. Pretty decent. I haven't pushed the car really hard, but it corners way better now, drives smoother down the road, and 245/50/16s are not breaking free with some juice on the throttle. I'm kind of going gentle and trying to find out what they can and can't do, but they are better then I thought they would be. I NEEDED new tires, but these actually have a sport feeling behind them. Not good enough for racing or really aggressive driving, but I went around one wide corner speeding up and they held without making any noise. One SCed Cobra owner reviewed that the rears last about 25K with spinning them often and the fronts can last up to 40K. If they can really do that, for the price, I might never use anything else for my DD. Time will tell. I can't give a long term review on them yet. Not everyone is happy with them. Usually people who buy them for hard cornering are not happy enough. I read some bad reviews from RX-8 guys. You can't get it all in one package. The tires listed are all weather performance tires. The best all weather tire I've ever driven on so far. I haven't been in the market for a long time though, but they sure have improved things. I usually get summer and winter tires on different rims, but I wanted all weather tires for my DD.

Bikeman982

As long as you are happy with what you bought, that is what counts. It sounds like you are a good driver and those tires should last you a long time.

They might be good enough for a corolla even with aggressive driving. It sounded like some of the MX-5 guys were using them at the track. They are rated at 1,800lbs max per tire. I would imagine that they would have less side wall roll on a lighter car. The tire shop had mine aired up to 40psi?!?! I dropped it to 35 and they ride even smoother now.

I went to the store tonight and decided to see if they could grip on a take off. I goosed it and they started to slip a little. I let off the gas just a tad and eased it down to the floor and they held up great. One of the reviews on tire rack from a mustang owner said he could get a 1.99 0-60' time with them. At first I called BS, but with a good enough driver, it might be possible.

Bikeman982

I would just be happy if the tires gave a good ride and lasted a long time.

I am not about trying to race my car - it provides daily transportation.

My deal with tires:

1.) Improve the brake performance/stopping power

2.) Accident avoidance/predictable under quick action

3.) Predictable and not noisy/love the music and like to explore the limits of the vehicle

I've got a nice little life and a good relationship. Having good tires and brakes makes me feel it is more likely my sweetness will make it home to see me one more time.

My deal with tires:

1.) Improve the brake performance/stopping power

2.) Accident avoidance/predictable under quick action

3.) Predictable and not noisy/love the music and like to explore the limits of the vehicle

I've got a nice little life and a good relationship. Having good tires and brakes makes me feel it is more likely my sweetness will make it home to see me one more time.

I feel the same way. I was really unhappy with the stock tires on the Corolla. Upgrading made the car feel a lot safer. Even if you just use your car to get from point A to point B and don't care about performance, having a upgraded tire from stock can be safer for breaking or emergency lane changing. I baby our Corolla. I think my wife actually drives it more aggressive then I do, but I still like having XRS rims and tires on it. The stock XRS tire isn't even rated that well, but it was a major upgrade over the stock tires. I also put snow tires on the stock rims for my wife. I've been spoiled with tires for years now, but it has truly saved our butts more then once. Last year, we both got stuck driving in a snow storm in two different cars. Both of our cars had dedicated snow tires and we both made it home safely. We saw countless auto's that had spun out of control and were on the side of the road. Back when I was younger and broke, I had some close calls from having worn out, and or lousy tires on my car. Not doing anything wrong, just almost hydroplaning off the road, have a auto down shift going up a snow covered hill and almost loosing control of the car, etc.

I got Z rated all weather tires for my Mustang because I needed some decent rubber to grip the road because it's modded and it has gobs of torque, but for the price, I would recommend them for a lot of people just because they are a amazing tire for the price. Don't take my word for it, just read the crazy reviews on tirerack.com I'll probably replace the stock XRS tires (when they wear out) with the Sumitomo summer only tire. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...es&place=40

If you are looking for a longer wearing all season tire at a cheap price, check out Kumho KR21 at tirerack.com. Rates at 640 A B....$50 each

Bikeman982

I can get practically new tire (some mounted on rims) from the local junkyard for $23.00.

I bought one last week.

You guys buy some really expensive tires and if your car ends up in the junkyard, I will enjoy getting them.

Topic List