Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

See every reply in these pages:

Toyota does not recommend synthetic oil in their manuals, but they do recommend 5W30. What puzzles me is that the dealership I was using would put in 10W30 instead of the 5W as recommended. Could my warranty be voided when the dealership uses a different grade of oil than what was recommended? I must point out that I live in the south where the thinner oil is not as critical as in the north, so that could be why they were using the 10W30. But I switched dealers (for other reasons) and they new ones are using the recommended oil.

• 320 posts

Thanks, DB1.

Ellis, I've seen this problem in both Toyota and Dodge dealers. The old-time mechanics believe 10W30 is better, period, and many refuse to use 5W30 even on request. They're living in the past but it does show how long a misconception can live in "professionals." However I think 10W30 is shown as acceptable if not recommended. They can't kill the warranty for that. They CAN kill it if the dealer puts in the wrong stuff because the dealer is a franchise operation and then you have to sue the dealer.

I'm closing this thread because I think we've gotten all the info we're going to get out of it and it'll just degenerate if it goes on. We've had a few sludge threads.

Topic List