Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Long Do Struts And Shocks Last?

Guest jjb2222000

I have about 60K miles on my O1' corolla. I put 17" rims on and even after clearing out almost all the crap in my car the back tires still rub sometimes when I go over dips on the freeway. Any recommendations to avoid that? Is it possible I need new struts or shocks?

I noticed there's a lip on the wheel well which is most likely what it's hitting, I wonder if that can be grinded off or something? Also when I first take off each time I go somewhere I hear a knocking noise, is this somehow related to putting on the 17" rims since it started a couple days after I put them on? For those of you who read my last post, I'm still riding on three 17" rims and one stock 14" which is the right rear tire due to the stripping of one of the bolts so I had to take off one of the 17"s. Can this somehow affect the knocking noise from the front??

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Springs may be worn - struts will have no effect on ride height. Unless you have overloaded your car everytime you go out - the chance they are that worn is remote.

Sounds like you have some clearance issues - did you get the right backspacing (wheel offset). Too much and you hit suspension components - to little and you will hit the fender lip. Check and make sure it is not a suspension clearance issue - if it only makes contact with the fender - you will have to "roll" the fender lip. Not rolling the lip will really shorten the life of your tires.

Good Luck.

Guest nomad17

You can roll the rear fenders. I'm sure there's different ways to do it, only way that's been suggested to me was to use a baseball bat (or other rounded object) and press the inside of the rear fender lip inward. Haven't done it myself, so don't quote me.

Guest The Dom

Hey

I was thinking of getting a set of 17" wheels for my '89 corolla seca SX.

What sort of width tyres did you get for them, I was thinking 215/45.

What did you put on?

Guest jjb2222000

To The Dom-

I used the recommended size for my 01 corolla which is 205/40/ZR17.

Although on Tirerack.com the largest recommended size for an 89 corolla is 205/40/16. With the size I used there is a couple inches of room between the front tire and fender but very little room in the back. In fact on some dips on the freeway my back tires rub the fender lip so I'm gonna have to roll the back fender lip so my tires don't get damaged too much and shorten the tire life.

Good Luck

My back struts went at 40 000km on a 2002 Toyota Corolla of course it was under warrentee

Topic List