Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2002 Corolla Le Automatic

by jduffner, October 19, 2006

Hi, I'm new to these forums and I would appreciate any help you all can give.

I recently bought a used 2002 Corolla LE automatic (83K miles when I bought it, 87K now), and sometime after I got an oil change at the dealer, the car started developing some sort of clicking noise when shifting gears, usually around the 2.5-2.9 RPM range. It's not loud, it's not always consistent, but it's easy to notice if you're the only one driving the car. The sound is more evident on hills. I also noticed that my car's mileage started dropping, from about 28-29 mpg average (city) to about 24-26 mpg. I know that some of you may get less than that on average, but for me a drop in mileage is something to wonder about.

I don't know much about cars and I wanted to be proactive about fixing problems, so I took it to the dealer (I live in Atlanta), and they inspected the car and told me that my front axle had "big vibrations" and that it was possible that the axle was causing the noise. They also noted that my transmission fluid was "very dark," but they couldn't tell which was causing the problem. Atlanta road conditions are fairly poor, so I figured that it was possible that poor roads were to blame, and I also didn't want to do any work on the transmission as I know it is expensive. I plunked down $420 (parts and labor time) to get the front axle replaced...

But the shifting problem is still there, and my mileage is still about 24-26 on average. They recommended that I drive for a few days to find the problem (I did) and then come back to do a transmission flush, which would cost me about $140. I don't know anything about cars; I don't even have the car manual, as it didn't come with the car (I'm working on getting that from Toyota, I guess).

Any help? Would a transmission flush do anything?

Thanks.

• 1,424 posts
Hi, I'm new to these forums and I would appreciate any help you all can give.

I recently bought a used 2002 Corolla LE automatic (83K miles when I bought it, 87K now), and sometime after I got an oil change at the dealer, the car started developing some sort of clicking noise when shifting gears, usually around the 2.5-2.9 RPM range. It's not loud, it's not always consistent, but it's easy to notice if you're the only one driving the car. The sound is more evident on hills. I also noticed that my car's mileage started dropping, from about 28-29 mpg average (city) to about 24-26 mpg. I know that some of you may get less than that on average, but for me a drop in mileage is something to wonder about.

I don't know much about cars and I wanted to be proactive about fixing problems, so I took it to the dealer (I live in Atlanta), and they inspected the car and told me that my front axle had "big vibrations" and that it was possible that the axle was causing the noise. They also noted that my transmission fluid was "very dark," but they couldn't tell which was causing the problem. Atlanta road conditions are fairly poor, so I figured that it was possible that poor roads were to blame, and I also didn't want to do any work on the transmission as I know it is expensive. I plunked down $420 (parts and labor time) to get the front axle replaced...

But the shifting problem is still there, and my mileage is still about 24-26 on average. They recommended that I drive for a few days to find the problem (I did) and then come back to do a transmission flush, which would cost me about $140. I don't know anything about cars; I don't even have the car manual, as it didn't come with the car (I'm working on getting that from Toyota, I guess).

Any help? Would a transmission flush do anything?

Thanks.

A transmission flush might help. If the fluid is degraded, which it definately is in your case, it will not allow the transmission to operate correctly. If the fluid has not been in there too long, no damage has been done and a flush and refill may very well correct your problem. If the fluid was in there for all 83k, then it is probable that your transmission has been slightly damaged and simply changing the fluid will not fix the problem. If the later is the case, changing the fluid may stop any more damage from occuring and may cause the symptoms to lessen. If the symptoms don't lessen, then you have big problems and it's time to check into a rebuilt tranny.

Long story short, go for the flush and refill, there is a 33% chance it will fix your problem completely and a 66% chance it will at least lessen the symptoms sevirity and stop any further damage from occuring.

A transmission flush might help. If the fluid is degraded, which it definately is in your case, it will not allow the transmission to operate correctly. If the fluid has not been in there too long, no damage has been done and a flush and refill may very well correct your problem. If the fluid was in there for all 83k, then it is probable that your transmission has been slightly damaged and simply changing the fluid will not fix the problem. If the later is the case, changing the fluid may stop any more damage from occuring and may cause the symptoms to lessen. If the symptoms don't lessen, then you have big problems and it's time to check into a rebuilt tranny.

Long story short, go for the flush and refill, there is a 33% chance it will fix your problem completely and a 66% chance it will at least lessen the symptoms sevirity and stop any further damage from occuring.

Thanks! I'll probably go get it done this Saturday. Just curious... do you think the axle repair did anything?
  • 1,424 posts

Thanks! I'll probably go get it done this Saturday. Just curious... do you think the axle repair did anything?

It's hard to say without actually riding in the car in question. I've driven through Atlanta before, and your roads are bad. I grew up in Metro Detroit and we had worse roads then you do. It was not uncommon for axles to develop slight bends and suspension components to wear out prematurely. It is certainly possible that you needed an axle replacement. I wouldn't look at the axle replacement as a good thing. It couldn't have hurt.

BTW, you stated you were only getting fuel economy in the mid to high 20s. That isn't uncommon for new Corolla drivers. If you were coming from a more powerful car like I was, you tend to drive the Corolla too hard to get good fuel economy for the first couple of months you own it. After you get used to it and are more gentle, the fuel economy goes up.

It's hard to say without actually riding in the car in question. I've driven through Atlanta before, and your roads are bad. I grew up in Metro Detroit and we had worse roads then you do. It was not uncommon for axles to develop slight bends and suspension components to wear out prematurely. It is certainly possible that you needed an axle replacement. I wouldn't look at the axle replacement as a good thing. It couldn't have hurt.

BTW, you stated you were only getting fuel economy in the mid to high 20s. That isn't uncommon for new Corolla drivers. If you were coming from a more powerful car like I was, you tend to drive the Corolla too hard to get good fuel economy for the first couple of months you own it. After you get used to it and are more gentle, the fuel economy goes up.

Okay, thanks. I did come from an Avalon, haha. What is the normal average? I guess I have been driving it harder these days, but a drop of 3 mpg still worried me. I'll try being more gentle too and seeing if that helps.

• 1,424 posts

Okay, thanks. I did come from an Avalon, haha. What is the normal average? I guess I have been driving it harder these days, but a drop of 3 mpg still worried me. I'll try being more gentle too and seeing if that helps.

Well, the 2005 I drive has an EPA rating of 38 MPG. I can get that at 60 with cruise control, and no AC. However, if I drive at 70 or 75 I get only 32 or 34. When I first got the car, I only got between 30 and 32 on the highway and 25 to 29 in the city. Since your car has a similar EPA rating, I would not worry about the fuel economy yet. If it is still doing this after you've driven it for months, then you'll need to get it checked.

Hi, just wanted to let you know what happened - they agreed to have someone drive my car with me in the passenger's seat. As soon as we hit 2500 RPM and we heard the noise, the guy called it out - worn spark plugs. He said it wasn't a big problem, that it explained my lower mileage, and that I could get it fixed at my 90K maintenance service interval. So at least it wasn't a transmission issue.

The service guys did tell me, though, that the 90K maintenance interval would cost me $500 at their place. That seems kind of high.

Yes, it IS high. Unless you have partial ownership of a toyota dealer, never, ever take it to one. Most are schisters in the extreme. It isn't just confined to Nth America - many dealerships (or 'stealerships') are purely as one member put it 'bottom line augmentation systems'. Sure, there are some dealers who are honest, competant and helpful - but unless you are absolutely sure that your intneded dealer is one of these try taking to your local neighbourhood mechaninic.

90,000 mile service on an american corolla is just replacing coolant, oil and filter, maybe changing gearbox oil and the regular inspections - suspension, brakes, exhaust which takes maybe 30 min. $500?! I would say at your local corner mechanic it would be no more than about $200-250 for the works.

The sparkplug explaination is sound; although it cost $420 to get there (I reckon the axle was a con). If the sound happened at a certain rev range, rather than a speed/gear combination, it would be motor related.

Yes, it IS high. Unless you have partial ownership of a toyota dealer, never, ever take it to one. Most are schisters in the extreme. It isn't just confined to Nth America - many dealerships (or 'stealerships') are purely as one member put it 'bottom line augmentation systems'. Sure, there are some dealers who are honest, competant and helpful - but unless you are absolutely sure that your intneded dealer is one of these try taking to your local neighbourhood mechaninic.

90,000 mile service on an american corolla is just replacing coolant, oil and filter, maybe changing gearbox oil and the regular inspections - suspension, brakes, exhaust which takes maybe 30 min. $500?! I would say at your local corner mechanic it would be no more than about $200-250 for the works.

The sparkplug explaination is sound; although it cost $420 to get there (I reckon the axle was a con). If the sound happened at a certain rev range, rather than a speed/gear combination, it would be motor related.

Thanks for your advice. As it turns out, the same guy who pointed out the spark plug problem also helped fix the axle, and he said that the car was shaking so badly at 2500 RPM that he felt the axle should have been the first thing to get fixed. I wasn't completely aware of the problem it seems, but now that I'm driving it, the ride does feel a lot smoother especially around 60-70 mph (before the steering wheel would shake pretty badly).

The dealer bashing is incredible.

You have the choice of doing the repair at an aftermkt shop this is true.Some people still think the dealer is out to screw ya.that same 90k service is gonna cost ya 400-450 at the aftermkt shop and then after they put those CHEAP crappy parts on your car you bring it to the dealer because the aftermkt guy screwed ya.

As a Toyota Tech I must say that in your situation I would have reccomended a 90k also.whens the last time your got the coolant,plugs,airfilter changed and you induction service completed and your rear brakes cleaned and adjusted and a full inspection done on your car?? The normal response from most peolple is ????????

if you dont want the 90k thats ok also pick a couple that you wanna do or can afford and do them a little at a time.

Just want the plugs done thats cool also.That tech that rode with you gets paid for his knowledge and also has a family to support.

I have been employed by a couple of aftermkt shops and the parts are mainly crap and if you dont think so go get a set of wires for that car of yours and install a set of autolite plugs in it and see how long that car runs good.Then when the car rejects you plugs like a dodnor kidney tell me howmany plug wires come out in 1 piece.

bottom line if you dont wanna pay the Toyota place then get the toyota parts and save yourself some money.

Oh and for you Brain surgeons out there if you put junk plugs in a coil pack over plug engine the plugs will short out the coil packs.I got one I can send ya if you dont believe me.

The dealer bashing is incredible.

You have the choice of doing the repair at an aftermkt shop this is true.Some people still think the dealer is out to screw ya.that same 90k service is gonna cost ya 400-450 at the aftermkt shop and then after they put those CHEAP crappy parts on your car you bring it to the dealer because the aftermkt guy screwed ya.

As a Toyota Tech I must say that in your situation I would have reccomended a 90k also.whens the last time your got the coolant,plugs,airfilter changed and you induction service completed and your rear brakes cleaned and adjusted and a full inspection done on your car?? The normal response from most peolple is ????????

if you dont want the 90k thats ok also pick a couple that you wanna do or can afford and do them a little at a time.

Just want the plugs done thats cool also.That tech that rode with you gets paid for his knowledge and also has a family to support.

I have been employed by a couple of aftermkt shops and the parts are mainly crap and if you dont think so go get a set of wires for that car of yours and install a set of autolite plugs in it and see how long that car runs good.Then when the car rejects you plugs like a dodnor kidney tell me howmany plug wires come out in 1 piece.

bottom line if you dont wanna pay the Toyota place then get the toyota parts and save yourself some money.

Oh and for you Brain surgeons out there if you put junk plugs in a coil pack over plug engine the plugs will short out the coil packs.I got one I can send ya if you dont believe me.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to be a mechanic. nor to figure out that the basic electrical prinicples apply when dealing with the ignition system. The coil pack or distributer system is designed to match the

voltage and current characteristics of the spark plug, so it is a very bad idea to switch them.

What bugs me about the dealerships is the "apprentices" or cheap help they have,,,, I had several

bad experiences with the cheap help I had that I'd rather not rant again about.

There are good mechanics at dealerships, but there are also bad ones pushing commisions.

Just what do you mean by induction service ??

can you be more specific for us lay persons ??

We on this board rather try to do things our selves, and what you just mentioned, I 've been

doing myself.

Dealer or not, there are good mechanics and bad mechanics. Dealer or not, it's a crap shoot whether you will get the good one or the bad one. Every time my car enters a shop for a repair there is a story to follow.

At my age I've learned that my cars last a long time because I do ALL of the work unless I don't want to blow a weekend on a job. I keep precise records and I know what's been done and when.

Jay in MA

Just wanted to update you all on what's been going on with my car.

I've still been getting an average of 24-25 mpg on my car in mostly city driving, even after getting the spark plugs changed.

I still hear the clicking noise when changing gears every now and then.

Very unfrequently, when the car is idling at a light, the car revs a few times and shakes slightly. It sounds something like a muffled motorcycle revving.

Any help on what to look for would be really appreciated....

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)