Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Water Pump ?

by bhp02, September 21, 2006

guys, just wondering how long the water pump lasts on the timing

chain engines ??

and is it alot easier to replace than the old ones with the timing belt ??

Hopefullly a long time default_biggrin

But from what I've seen other people talk about, about the same as the other variants. But most are highly dependant on how you drive, driving conditions, frequency of coolant exchanges and type of coolant/water used.

If the weep hole starts leaking - then it is time for a new pump. On timing belt cars - I usually shoot for every other belt change to change the water pump (since I usually use Toyo red with distilled water). I might change the water pump when the timing chain stretches out too much.

Good thing is that you don't have to mess with engine mounts or chain when replacing the pump. Just drain coolant, remove serpentine belt, 6 bolts on pump (remember locations, bolts of different lengths), pull off pump, pull off o-ring.

Bikeman982

Hopefullly a long time default_biggrin

But from what I've seen other people talk about, about the same as the other variants. But most are highly dependant on how you drive, driving conditions, frequency of coolant exchanges and type of coolant/water used.

If the weep hole starts leaking - then it is time for a new pump. On timing belt cars - I usually shoot for every other belt change to change the water pump (since I usually use Toyo red with distilled water). I might change the water pump when the timing chain stretches out too much.

Good thing is that you don't have to mess with engine mounts or chain when replacing the pump. Just drain coolant, remove serpentine belt, 6 bolts on pump (remember locations, bolts of different lengths), pull off pump, pull off o-ring.

Water pumps are supposed to last a long time. On my 7th generation cars they are recommended to be changed when the timing belt is changed (every 60,000 miles) because the pump is easier to get to during the belt change process.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)