Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Battles Of The Bulge...

By c2105026, September 17, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

I thought jogging was running, just running slowly...

Further update, now down to 205.5. 18lbs to go, but with this rate by the end of April I could be about 21lbs lighter. However, I am starting a weight training program in the imminent future so this could all change...

Bikeman982

I thought jogging was running, just running slowly...

Further update, now down to 205.5. 18lbs to go, but with this rate by the end of April I could be about 21lbs lighter. However, I am starting a weight training program in the imminent future so this could all change...

Jogging and running are similar, but have a lot of differences.

Running requires different muscles and also is more anerobic.

Heart rate is usually higher (until you reach a stabilized rate).

Both are good for your health and for weight loss.

NEXT UPDATE

6 months and 5 days gone.

Have now lost 41.5kg, or 91.4 lbs. Now weigh 200.7lbs. Should dip under the double ton in the next few days...

Weight training progessing smoothly (though my abs are killing me!)

Running/jogging stepping up a notch; this afternoon went for a 5.45km/3.39mi run, completed in a bit over 36 minutes. No longer feeling any real pain in my knees.

Kudos to you C. You must have an iron will.

I just started reading this topic recently and was amazed at the progress you've made......really a tribute to your constitution.

My one bit of advice (it seems to work for me anyways) is that when you get to the weight and shape that you want, refuse to buy larger sized clothes in the future. If my clothes start to feel tight, I cut way back on eating. I used to work out a lot when I was younger and stay fairly active at 52 but am still able to maintain a fairly solid 6 feet @ 205 to 210 pounds.....at least I used to be 6 feet. default_biggrin

As a side note....my daughter is in her sophomore year in college and hopes to declare her major in Hotel and Tourist management. She told us the other day that she would like to spend her 2nd semester next year in Australia. Maybe someday my wife and I can also pay a visit to OZ.

Keep up the good work. You'll never regret it.

Jay in MA

NEXT UPDATE

Have now lost 41.5kg, or 91.4 lbs. Now weigh 200.7lbs. Should dip under the double ton in the next few days...

Running/jogging stepping up a notch; this afternoon went for a 5.45km/3.39mi run, completed in a bit over 36 minutes. No longer feeling any real pain in my knees.

Thanks Jay... default_smile

What city does your daughter intend to stay/study in? Newcastle? Sydney? Melbourne?

Just now I went for a 5.85km/3.6mi jog, completed in 38 and a half minutes...

The plan of not getting bigger clothes is one I shall be adhereing to. As a start I have been progressively getting rid of my fat clothes, I have been giving them to my mother for her to distribute other plus-sized family members, or charity. I have given her, so far, two large suitcases and 4 garbage bags full of clothes. Only thing is now I have basically nothing left. I only have the jeans and polo tops I wear to work, workout clothes and some t-shirts. I need to spend maybe A$1000 to fully replenish my warbrobe. Autumn and winter are coming, and I have no coats or jumpers.

Shaun:

Outstanding progress, mate! Keep it up -- you'll never regret it. What is your goal weight?

BTW it must feel great to buy a new wardrobe because you shrunk out of your old clothes! Again, congratulations!

Bikeman982

NEXT UPDATE

Keep up the good work. Exercising will really help.

Good diet and proper nutrition is essential to healthy living.

C,

I'm not sure what city she'd like to live in as it's still early in the process. I don't even think she knows where she would like to stay.

The exercising can get addictive. I know when I was lifting and running I felt guilty when I missed a day of my routine. Of course, that was many moons ago and I got over it. default_biggrin

The exercising definitely gives you a bounce in your step, adds to your energy levels and promotes a general sense of well being.

You're dedication to this mission is admirable,

Jay

What city does your daughter intend to stay/study in? Newcastle? Sydney? Melbourne?

C,

I was talking to my daughter the other day and she said it would be Southern Cross University in Lismore.

She needs to wait for Economics grades this spring before she can move on with her plans.

Jay in MA

ahh yes, I have heard Lismore is nice - I went there once, back when I was 5. It is in northern sub-tropical NSW. It isn't an overly big place; maybe 20-30,000 people. Palm trees in the middle of roundabouts there. That uni is probably the only place in OZ where you can get a degree in animal naturopathy.

My goal weight is 85kg/187lb, but I may be going further. Am currently 199.4 (under the double ton!)

I just started reading this topic. It seems to be pretty popular (up to 6 pages so far). I see that you were originally 300+ lbs and now you are down to less than 200. Remarkable progress. I actually had the opposite problem growing up. I was very thin no matter how much I ate. Around age 13-14, I got into the muscle building phenomenon and bulked up. I used to workout everyday, keeping detailed records of how many reps I performed of every exercise. Some of my records are crazy (600+ sit ups in one night). I also obsessed about what I was eating. Sometimes entire meals would consist of powerbars. I went from a lean 130 lbs to a much more muscular 160. I even joined the Wrestling team for my high school Freshman year. I also did track and field for the first 3 years. Thankfully I never got to the point of steroids, but I knew alot of people on my teams who I suspected.

When I think back, it was absolutely insane what I was doing. Exercise and fitness was on my mind all the time, everyday. I look back on my records and I see how much I pushed myself to perform better everyday. For the last 4 years, I've leveled off at 160-165 lbs at 5'9". I've relaxed alot about my exercise. Actually I've gotten really lazy. I'm trying to get back into a routine of bicycling and light workouts to keep in peak shape as a police officer, but my experiences in high school have taught me to set limits. Sometimes obsession can be just as dangerous as neglect.

Bikeman982

This topic is popular because everyone can relate.

Most people are overweight and to read about someone successfully losing weight is motivational.

Some people think about exercising and eating right (a lot of people make New Years resolutions), but never actually do anything.

There are all kinds of diets, books, exercise regimes/routines, etc.

It takes discipline and dedication to stick to what works for a long time.

If you go too far, it may become an obsession. Everything must be in moderation.

Some people have an opposite problem of being able to eat anything and not gain weight.

I am on one of those "sea food" diets - all the food I see, I want to eat.

It is like the "revolving door" diet - everytime I turn around I want to eat.

The fitness expert Covert Bailey says "It does not matter what you eat - as long as you burn it off".

It is extremely hard to gain weight, if you burn more calories than you consume.

Keep up the good work , all you dieters and lose those unwanted pounds.

Congratulations c2105026 and other users of this forum for the effort to have this topic here and also to loose weight. I currently weigh around 275 pounds and am trying to loose it.

Bikeman982

Congratulations c2105026 and other users of this forum for the effort to have this topic here and also to loose weight. I currently weigh around 275 pounds and am trying to loose it.
We support anyone who is making effort to lose weight, or otherwise improve themselves physically.

If they drive a Corolla, we support them even more!

here are other motivational tidbits on how a healthy weight can improve corolla ownership

*for every 50kg/100lbs you lose you should see an improvement of about 2% in fuel economy (actual scientific proven fact). Corollas are light; being light will enhance the power to weight ratio. Lose that fat; you go faster...

*bear in mind that automotive safety systems are built around a standard person of a 185lb male, 5 feet 11 inches high (or something like that). These are what dummies a built to replicate. There are also dummies for women and children. None of them are obese, they appear to be a healthy weight. If one is obese the extra girth brings them closer to the sides of the car and steering wheel, reducing the available crumple zones. In addition, the extra weight can mean that seatbelts fail, and airbags not function correctly.

Bikeman982

here are other motivational tidbits on how a healthy weight can improve corolla ownership

*for every 50kg/100lbs you lose you should see an improvement of about 2% in fuel economy (actual scientific proven fact). Corollas are light; being light will enhance the power to weight ratio. Lose that fat; you go faster...

*bear in mind that automotive safety systems are built around a standard person of a 185lb male, 5 feet 11 inches high (or something like that). These are what dummies a built to replicate. There are also dummies for women and children. None of them are obese, they appear to be a healthy weight. If one is obese the extra girth brings them closer to the sides of the car and steering wheel, reducing the available crumple zones. In addition, the extra weight can mean that seatbelts fail, and airbags not function correctly.

I think the height average is closer to 5'-8''. I am just a short guy and 5'-11'' seems tall.

The average height in the US for men is 69.2 inches (5' 9.2") and for women is 65.7 inches (5' 5.7"), the last time I checked. I'm 5' 9" so I'm dead-on with the average.

Bikeman982

The average height in the US for men is 69.2 inches (5' 9.2") and for women is 65.7 inches (5' 5.7"), the last time I checked. I'm 5' 9" so I'm dead-on with the average.
I suppose I am shorter than the average male - I am only 5' - 7".

next update:

have cracked the ton; have now lost 100.4 lbs default_smile

running is progressing, albeit slowly.... only days after upping daily mileage to 9km/5.5mi I have had to pull back a bit due to knee pain. built up again to 9km but I am really feeling it in my right knee. am seeing a doctor about it thursday.

NEXT UPDATE - 105lbs lost...

HAVE REACHED INITIAL GOAL WEIGHT (187lbs) (cue happy dance...) BUT.......

Still have a lot of fat on my butt, thighs, calves and stomach. Am now shooting for 176lbs (~80kg)

NEXT UPDATE

Have reached what a trained professional (a nutritionist) beleives to be a decent, healthy weight - 180.2 lbs (81.8kg). My weight loss effort is complete and now I am onto maintenance. On my first day I actually lost a further 1.2kg somehow (am now 177.5); but since then I haven't lost or gained anything, which I am assuming is good. So total weight lost was 114lbs/52kg. What I thought was excess fat was in fact loose skin; I was told this should go within the next few months.

I have found maintenance to be quite liberating; no more counting calories! At the end it was driving me nuts. I now basically have whatever healthy food I want; unhealthy food is restricted to 4000kj/1000 calories a week.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you all for your intrest and support over the previous 10 months. I really appreciate it! default_smile

Max

Congrats, c! You must feel great now, not only healthier, but happier and very proud of what you've accomplished.

WOW. Congrats on getting this far! Not a whole lot of people I meet these days are as motivated as you.

My battle is the other way. Now that I'm home from college and working all the time, I often forget to eat, and I've been losing too much weight.

Bikeman982

We are all proud of you for sticking to it. We know it is not easy and you should feel proud.

Keep up the good work and know that your car also appreciates it!

• 1,424 posts

I don't know what it is like to have a weight problem personally.

I'm rather slim at 5'9" and 140 lbs. I have a stellar metabolism and can eat pretty much anything, although my tastes are really for the better foods, not the bad for you ones. I don't drink pop, nor do I eat candy (hardly ever) and I limit my consumption of sugar and red meat. I have to eat a lot to maintain weight (2500-2700 calories per day). If I start skipping meals I lose weight quickly and my body chemistry gets out of whack.

I have hardly any body fat because I walk at least 2 miles a day and do 150 sit-ups a night plus 50 cross crunches. That is in addition to the 6 or so hours of standing I do a day and all the lifting I do at work. When I'm at school I average 4 miles a day walking and 20 flights of stairs. I feel like I'm pretty good on the exercise front.

All that being said, I have friends who really want to lose weight and try really hard. At some point I realized that I needed to start eating better in front of them because as long as I continued to eat crap when I was in front of them they could not resist eating like I did.

When I started trying to eat better in front of them I realized how hard it was for them. They didn't have the choice to eat crap like I did and they still weren't losing a lot of weight eating healthier. When I started losing weight I had to stop eating like that because I can't afford to lose weight and after having lost 3 pounds in a week by eating 1500 calories a day one day I decided I couldn't do it anymore. It was that day that I realized something that never occurred to me before: if it takes a lot of will power for me to lose 3 lbs and I don't have a weight problem it must be 10x harder for someone with a weight problem to lose weight. It has to be hard to diet and diet and not see any immediate results. I used to get discouraged when I would eat 1500 calories a day and not lose 2 pounds in 4 days, it must be terribly discouraging to diet for weeks and not see any noticeable weight loss.

So, to anyone who has had a hard time losing weight but has managed to diet and exercise their way to a healthier life; congratulations, you have shown the world that you have a great deal of self disclipline and will power.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else