Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By jpierce55, September 16, 2006

6 weeks, two in which I was in Europe, and a total of 2000 highway miles. No rough roads, no large amount of debris. And in this time I have found my new 06 Corolla is chipping on the hood/bumper/fenders. I also barely bumped it while washing it and tore a big chunk out paint out, and I mean barely bumped it. The paint is obviosly soft.

The color is Indigo blue, anybody else have this problem?

BTW I have driven both a Suzuki x-90 and a Suburban on this same exact path with over 10,000 miles each vehicle and NO chips.

i'd go complain to the dealer that your paint is defective.

i'd go complain to the dealer that your paint is defective.

Absolutely I am going to the dealer, tried to contact them already (today) about the issue but could not get through and got no reply.

Max

Mine showed chips pretty early, too. Paint isn't what it used to be, literally. These newer ones are very soft. But, if you took a big chunk out just washing it, sounds like you've got a defective paint job.

6 weeks, two in which I was in Europe, and a total of 2000 highway miles. No rough roads, no large amount of debris.
Where was your Corolla manufactured?

Bikeman982

Sounds like the paint was not applied correctly, or allowed to cure as it dried. Take it to the dealer and have the whole car repainted right.

I spoke to my daughter who works at the Chrysler plant in Brampton Ontario. She told me anything like that would have affected over a thousand vehicles made that day. Check it out as you shouldn't be the only one affected if it's a defect.

Sounds like the paint was not applied correctly, or allowed to cure as it dried. Take it to the dealer and have the whole car repainted right.
not just repainted, but stripped clean and then repainted. they'll have to take it down to atleast the primer. and dont settle for anything lesss than perfect if its warranty work, theyre correcting their mistake. also make sure the paint has atleast a 2 year warranty. paint can take over 6 months to fully cure, and during that time many blemishes can show through that you didnt see initially.

Bikeman982

not just repainted, but stripped clean and then repainted. they'll have to take it down to atleast the primer. and dont settle for anything lesss than perfect if its warranty work, theyre correcting their mistake. also make sure the paint has atleast a 2 year warranty. paint can take over 6 months to fully cure, and during that time many blemishes can show through that you didnt see initially.

That's exactly the right way to go.

Thanks for the suggestion as I would have assumed that they would have stripped it, but now that you mention it I will insist.

Bikeman982

Thanks for the suggestion as I would have assumed that they would have stripped it, but now that you mention it I will insist.

Be sure and go thru the waiting period afterwards before washing, to make sure the paint has properly cured.

I'd make them throw in free rustproofing if I was you. You have nothing to loose if you call Toyota and ask them for another vehicle. Also, where was your car made??

Topic List: Go to Everything Else