Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Biggest Driving Pet Peeves

By muzak, September 16, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

I'd like to know what other's have in their "pet peeve" inventory. What's your 3 biggest pet peeves where you wish you were in an unmarked police car and could nail the offender? Mine....

1...Drivers who have the advanced green and turn left in front of you after their light turns red

2...Those who pass on the shoulder of the road to save a few precious seconds

3...Drivers who do not know what a stop sign means.

Here are my pet peeves, the first one isn't exactly illegal...

1. I wish drivers would stop riding their brakes ever three seconds...Whether it's automatic or stick, just let off the gas.

2. Drivers not understanding that a Stop sign means "stop", not "yield".

3. Drivers who drive in the left lane without consideration for other drivers. (ie If you're not passing someone get out of the left lane. If another driver is coming up behind you going faster than you (despite how fast you're going) get out of the left lane)

Max

1)Tailgaters

2) Red light runners - a peeve, but also often deadly. Where I live, you look both ways on green.

Bikeman982

My biggest peeve is slow drivers in the left lane. I drive the freeway everyday and there are several signs that say "Slow drivers keep right". No one pays attention to the signs. The entire left lane is packed, while the right lane has a couple of cars (staggered) in it.

My pet peeves are

1. People who, on an undivided road, drive at 10-20 kmh below the limit for no apparent reason. In Australia, road designers assume that traffic will be travelling at about the speed limit. People in this category are predominantly the elderly and/or hippies, who drive snipboxes that are not long for this world, and are probably not roadworthy anyway. Not that i'm ageist, but if you are an older person, seeing that you don't have much time left wouldn't you want to get the gas down a bit? default_tongue

2. Ricerockets - meticulously maintained, huge stereos, big wheels, turbos up the ying-yang. Thing is once you change into 2nd, they are over the speed limit. Sure, I have seen some ricerockets that are purpose built racecars and they aqcuit themselveswell on the track. But 20 inch wheels, adjustable suspensions, NOS and so on are completely redundant on public roads. When artists record music, they put in all that effort only for some twit to drown the whole thing out with way to much bass that you can hear a mile away from their 4 subwoofers. Ricerockets are just pointless.

3. Drink drivers - during random breath testing, about 1% of all drivers are found to be over the BAC limit (0.05 in NSW). Thing is, they are involved in about 20% of all crashes.

4. excessive speeders - the road is not a racetrack. If it was, there'd be kitty litter and ripple strips. Many fatal crashes are caused by excessive speeding.

Ti-Jean

-People driving cars that are unsafe and not roadworthy. Bald tires, rotten to death cars, faulty brakes, suspension, lights, etc. Too many of those in a big city like Montreal.

-Gross polluters, be they old stinky cars that keep going or heavy trucks. Each one of those pollutes more than 500 modern and well maintained cars with thousands of our $$ worth in each of them for legal and proper emission equipment.

-People driving below the speed limit and those driving way above.

-And last but not least, those who absolutely think they have to be yakking on their cell phones as soon as they get behind the wheel.

-Oh, and finally, old ladies in beige automatic 8th generation Corollas... No offense!

Bikeman982

-People driving cars that are unsafe and not roadworthy. Bald tires, rotten to death cars, faulty brakes, suspension, lights, etc. Too many of those in a big city like Montreal.

-Gross polluters, be they old stinky cars that keep going or heavy trucks. Each one of those pollutes more than 500 modern and well maintained cars with thousands of our $$ worth in each of them for legal and proper emission equipment.

-People driving below the speed limit and those driving way above.

-And last but not least, those who absolutely think they have to be yakking on their cell phones as soon as they get behind the wheel.

-Oh, and finally, old ladies in beige automatic 8th generation Corollas... No offense!

Is that my aunt??

1) Left lane closed ahead, we all get into the right lane and some Ahole pulls out of the right lane to zoom upto the front of the line and cut in causing further slowdown…

2) People who seems to think its ok to drive insanely above the speed limit and ride another cars bumper trying to force them to go faster… Just pass me!

3) Loud thumping base cars that rattle the coins out of my dash, and make my children cover their ears and cry…

Bikeman982

I hate the loud cars that think everyone in the neighborhood wants to hear their noise.

I don't even understand why people blare their music with the thumping subwoofers..... Does it make them more popular or cool or something? Do they only hang out with people that respect them for their vehicle's volume control?

There is one scenario that I'd completely understand the situation - if it's a popular song and THEY are the artist. If Jay Z drives down the street here in Milwaukee blaring his crappy music then hey, more power to him. default_smile IMO I think his music sucks, but I think it's fair play nonetheless.

I think they are trying to makeup for the size of their itty bitty manhood

Bikeman982

How can people even hear after listening to the boom boom of a loud base while driving their cars??

I get a headache, just from being next to them in my car with the windows rolled up!

• 1,424 posts

Here are my Big3

- Ricerboys who drive like they're in "The Fast and the Furious" on crowded public roads

- People who won't pass on the right when the person infront of them is turning left

- Drivers who stay in the left lane after passing, especially those who drive less than 80 mph in said lane.

Here are my MinorMillions

- People who can't park quickly and safely

- Driver's who talk on the phone and drive intermittantly

- People who speed up while you're passing them

- People who do anything that distracts them while driving

- Driver's who will not move over a lane or slow down when a cop has pulled someone over. It's the FREAKIN

State law, it protects our State Highway Patrol and Sheriffs, and it's posted all over the side of the highways.

- Drivers who wait until the last minute to get into their exit lane on the freeway

- Drivers who don't use the entrance ramp to accelerate

- Token brakers

- People who ride your bumper, especially if they're in a big truck

- Drivers who have mis-adjusted headlights that point up (they blind people who don't wear sunglasses at

night, and they make looking in the mirrors impossible unless you have an auto-dimmer)

- Drivers that take exception to you leaving behind their jack-###### driving habits.

Bikeman982

Here are my Big3

- Ricerboys who drive like they're in "The Fast and the Furious" on crowded public roads

- People who won't pass on the right when the person infront of them is turning left

- Drivers who stay in the left lane after passing, especially those who drive less than 80 mph in said lane.

Here are my MinorMillions

- People who can't park quickly and safely

- Driver's who talk on the phone and drive intermittantly

- People who speed up while you're passing them

- People who do anything that distracts them while driving

- Driver's who will not move over a lane or slow down when a cop has pulled someone over. It's the FREAKIN

State law, it protects our State Highway Patrol and Sheriffs, and it's posted all over the side of the highways.

- Drivers who wait until the last minute to get into their exit lane on the freeway

- Drivers who don't use the entrance ramp to accelerate

- Token brakers

- People who ride your bumper, especially if they're in a big truck

- Drivers who have mis-adjusted headlights that point up (they blind people who don't wear sunglasses at

night, and they make looking in the mirrors impossible unless you have an auto-dimmer)

- Drivers that take exception to you leaving behind their jack-###### driving habits.

Well said!

My pet peeves:

1. Drivers with the high-intensity fog/driving lamps that have them going 100% of the time during hours of darkness, whether they are needed or not.

2. Any driver trying to use a cell phone while driver -- but I have a special place in my heart for the females. One of them is going to seriously injure or kill me some day while I'm on my bicycle.

3. Drivers who don't give me adequate space while passing me when on my bicycle.

4. Tailgaters. I wish I had the technology to make a custom-made bumper sticker which says, "THE CLOSER YOU DRIVE, THE SLOWER I DRIVE. I'VE GOT ALL DAY -- DO YOU?"

5. People who won't turn on their headlights when it is dusk, or it is raining.

6. Pretty much anyone driving a pickup truck.

7. Pretty much anyone under the age of 21 driving anything, although I'm finding problems with all age groups these days.

8. Blue-haired ladies driving Buicks at half the posted speed limit.

9. Bald-headed geezers wearing British golfing caps driving Buicks at 15 MPH below the speed limit in the left lane of any divided highway.

10. Pretty much anyone driving a Buick.

11. People flashing their lights at me when I'm in the passing lane of a 65 MPH highway, doing 66 - 70 MPH, and passing slower traffic almost constantly. I know that slower traffic has to keep right, but if I'm going .001 MPH over the speed limit, I'm NOT "slower" traffic. Speeding is illegal, and I'm not required to make it possible for other people to break the law. I'll move to the right when I can do so without immediately overtaking another vehicle in front of me, and that's the end of that!

12. Ref #11, people driving 60 MPH in the RIGHT lane of 65 MPH roadways.

13. People smoking cigarettes around gasoline pumps, usually while also taking on a cell phone. What part of KABLOOEY!!! don't they understand?

I'm sure I can come up with more, but I've got to get back to work.

My pet peeves:

1. Drivers with the high-intensity fog/driving lamps that have them going 100% of the time during hours of darkness, whether they are needed or not.

2. Any driver trying to use a cell phone while driver -- but I have a special place in my heart for the females. One of them is going to seriously injure or kill me some day while I'm on my bicycle.

3. Drivers who don't give me adequate space while passing me when on my bicycle.

4. Tailgaters. I wish I had the technology to make a custom-made bumper sticker which says, "THE CLOSER YOU DRIVE, THE SLOWER I DRIVE. I'VE GOT ALL DAY -- DO YOU?"

5. People who won't turn on their headlights when it is dusk, or it is raining.

6. Pretty much anyone driving a pickup truck.

7. Pretty much anyone under the age of 21 driving anything, although I'm finding problems with all age groups these days.

8. Blue-haired ladies driving Buicks at half the posted speed limit.

9. Bald-headed geezers wearing British golfing caps driving Buicks at 15 MPH below the speed limit in the left lane of any divided highway.

10. Pretty much anyone driving a Buick.

11. People flashing their lights at me when I'm in the passing lane of a 65 MPH highway, doing 66 - 70 MPH, and passing slower traffic almost constantly. I know that slower traffic has to keep right, but if I'm going .001 MPH over the speed limit, I'm NOT "slower" traffic. Speeding is illegal, and I'm not required to make it possible for other people to break the law. I'll move to the right when I can do so without immediately overtaking another vehicle in front of me, and that's the end of that!

12. Ref #11, people driving 60 MPH in the RIGHT lane of 65 MPH roadways.

13. People smoking cigarettes around gasoline pumps, usually while also taking on a cell phone. What part of KABLOOEY!!! don't they understand?

I'm sure I can come up with more, but I've got to get back to work.

I wholeheartedly agree with #'s 5, 6 and 10. default_biggrin

Bikeman982

I am against turning on headlights too soon and leaving them on after the sun is up and shining.

I forgot one that really bugs me. Some guy in front of you is turning left and someone decides to pass you on the right in the dirt or gravel. My friend got hit that way a couple of years ago while turning right while some idiot was passing on the shoulder.

• 1,424 posts
I forgot one that really bugs me. Some guy in front of you is turning left and someone decides to pass you on the right in the dirt or gravel. My friend got hit that way a couple of years ago while turning right while some idiot was passing on the shoulder.

That is legal in some states in the US. Michigan and Ohio being two of them. In fact, in Michigan if you don't pass on the right while someone is turning left, you're going to get hit because everyone expects you to and the driver's there don't always pay good attention to what is actually happening.

That is legal in some states in the US. Michigan and Ohio being two of them. In fact, in Michigan if you don't pass on the right while someone is turning left, you're going to get hit because everyone expects you to and the driver's there don't always pay good attention to what is actually happening.
I can see it being dangerous as well, not to pass on the right..IF there is a road there. Here at most intersectons, there is a solid white line which means it's a no no. It would probably not be dangerous other than the fact there could be stopped police vehicles, pedestrians or someone changing a tire off to the side of the road.

Bikeman982

In New Jersey the majority of left turns are done by first turning right and going across traffic - hence, less traffic in the road turning left.

In New Jersey the majority of left turns are done by first turning right and going across traffic - hence, less traffic in the road turning left.

Yes, NJ is probably the only state I've driven in which had those "jug handle" intersections where you exit to the right, loop to a traffic light, which then allows you to cross the highway from which you just exited. It's a good system, but takes up a lot of valuable real estate at the intersections, which is probably why other states don't do it.

Here in Delaware, on major divided highways, there are "crossovers" placed every mile or so which allow you to exit to the left and cross over into the opposite lanes when you get a chance -- no lights, you just wait until you get a good 5-second gap or so.

Bikeman982

Yes, NJ is probably the only state I've driven in which had those "jug handle" intersections where you exit to the right, loop to a traffic light, which then allows you to cross the highway from which you just exited. It's a good system, but takes up a lot of valuable real estate at the intersections, which is probably why other states don't do it.

Here in Delaware, on major divided highways, there are "crossovers" placed every mile or so which allow you to exit to the left and cross over into the opposite lanes when you get a chance -- no lights, you just wait until you get a good 5-second gap or so.

Probably a lot of accidents at those locations, also a long wait with heavy traffic.

Yah it messes with your head! Always going right to turn left... As an out of state visitor I had to do a lot of back tracking...

The only worse things was the fact that I got off the wrong exit going back home to Newark Airport.... the the toll guy told me no problem just go down this road and take a right... I guess he meant the SECOND right because the first one drove me across a bridge... At the other end was a welcome to NY sign and a $10 toll fee to make a U turn!

Even worse I didnt have the toll!!! Had to drive through it.... I was in a rental... ohh yes I got the bill $32... Your Welcome Stanton Island...

Bikeman982

Yah it messes with your head! Always going right to turn left... As an out of state visitor I had to do a lot of back tracking...

The only worse things was the fact that I got off the wrong exit going back home to Newark Airport.... the the toll guy told me no problem just go down this road and take a right... I guess he meant the SECOND right because the first one drove me across a bridge... At the other end was a welcome to NY sign and a $10 toll fee to make a U turn!

Even worse I didnt have the toll!!! Had to drive through it.... I was in a rental... ohh yes I got the bill $32... Your Welcome Stanton Island...

I hate tolls.

I have to pay $3 everytime I have to go to work in Martinez.

If I work in Benicia, it is before the bridge and I don't go thru the toll.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else