Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tires Always Screwy After Service...

by twinky64, September 13, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Yup - a good road force tire balancer will detect voids in the tire tread itself, out of round issues with wheel and tire, and if the tire needs to be unmounted turned a free degrees and remounted.

Out of round tires are pretty tough to get - Sears got into a ton of trouble telling people their tires were out of round and had to be shaved to correct (they automatically scrap tires that are not round at the tire plant). Unless you know you locked up the brakes long enough to flat spot or running low profile tires (can flatspot in a day - but return to their shape within a few miles of driving, when the tire heats up).

I'd like to toss in my 2c on this one - I haven't been able to keep my 01 prizm aligned worth a turd either - and at $90 a pop I have simply given up and counter steer. Bad for my tires, suspension, and mileage.

On the shaking issue - my car shakes at hwy speeds also, but it is caused by a bent wheel (or two) and I simply can't afford to replace them at the moment.. It took 3 visits to the tire shop to learn this, however, and watching them balance the damn tire.

i picked up up on 2 problems here

first - you mentioned that your tires are wearing on the out side, and not on the inside. you do know this means your tires are under inflated right? i am also assuming you have used a tire pressure gage to check your tire pressure.....

second - a vibration that comes and goes is not a tire balance issue. i would suspect maybe a motor mount myself.

third - i have a 93 corolla with who knows what kind of wear and tear, 150k + miles. it drives straight, doesnt vibrate, and doesnt wear tires funny. even with REALLY bad rear struts.

fourth - a tire shop that puts tires on, aligns your car, and then says "radial pull" is out of warranty? BS!!!!!! i would never shop there again, let all my freinds know, and call the tire manufacturer, or whoever is higher up then that manager. they have to have a least a customer satisfaction program of some sort.

good luck

aaron

Bikeman982

My 1994 has never had a tire alignment and doesn't have any problem at any speed.

I put new tires on it when I bought it and had them balanced (not on the car).

I think most vibration problems are related to the tires or rims.

Topic List