Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Thermostat

by Silver Bullet September 8, 2006

Has anyone changed the thermostat on a 1ZZFE? It looks like I have to remove the alternator to access it. Any other ideas?

It is not too bad to get to - but you are correct, you do have to pull the alternator off to get at it.

I took mine off some time ago to check on something - basically:

- disconnect the negative battery terminal

- drain coolant (drain petcock on radiator - will take a while or pull the lower radiator hose if you are impatient).

- good idea to note the way the belt runs around the pulleys (take a pic or sketch it - usually there is a diagram of the routing under the hood, but sometimes it is too hard to read).

- get wrench on the belt tensioner and turn it to loosen the belt and pull belt off

- disconnect wire clip on alternator

- disconnect two leads on alternator

- loosen two bolts in the front of alternator and take alternator off

- should see the two nuts and ECT connection on the thermostat housing pretty clearly

- take connector lead off

- loosen two nuts and it should come off, if not tap it lightly with an end of the screwdriver or handle of a hammer and it should pop off.

- don't forget to check for the o-ring - sometimes it sticks to the housing, sometimes it will stick to the thermostat.

Thanks for the good info. It's unfortunate that Toyota decided to mix in a very domestic car design like this.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)