Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Bittorrent Client Do You Use?

By NILLINOIS, August 24, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

Do you use one? I was an Azureus ( http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ ) fan for a while, but got sick of the Java VM sucking tons of memory and cpu cycles. Now I switched to ?Torrent ( http://www.utorrent.com ). Much better. default_smile

What are they and what are they used for??

BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer (sometimes shown as P2P) file distribution client application - basically a file sharing protocol. Was designed to distribute large amounts of data widely without costly servers and available bandwidth. Everyones computer that is setup with this protocol helps share the workload - the more users that download a file (even a portion of it) and is open to other peers will increase the aggregate bandwidth and chance for someone else to get a copy of the file.

I use burst! as a BitTorrent client app - I kind of cycle through the various flavors until I find one that is stable enough to reside on my machine for more than a few days. I also use the "Official" one from creator Bram Cohen or others that have a Python back-end, for continuous support.

I use BitTornado.

bittornado as well, but only for legal files.

Do you use one? I was an Azureus ( http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ ) fan for a while, but got sick of the Java VM sucking tons of memory and cpu cycles. Now I switched to ?Torrent ( http://www.utorrent.com ). Much better. default_smile

Duhhhh -- whaddhesay?

I usually use Craftsman bits. They are nice and sharp, and if you break one, Sears will give you a new one.

Burst is pretty good for a GNU product. But I bet some people just can't get used to the Unix-like ASCII screen window. You tend to get spoiled by the GUI's in windows. Being a old time unix/linux guy I kinda like it.

Bikeman982

BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer (sometimes shown as P2P) file distribution client application - basically a file sharing protocol. Was designed to distribute large amounts of data widely without costly servers and available bandwidth. Everyones computer that is setup with this protocol helps share the workload - the more users that download a file (even a portion of it) and is open to other peers will increase the aggregate bandwidth and chance for someone else to get a copy of the file.

I use burst! as a BitTorrent client app - I kind of cycle through the various flavors until I find one that is stable enough to reside on my machine for more than a few days. I also use the "Official" one from creator Bram Cohen or others that have a Python back-end, for continuous support.

So it acts like (without actually having one ) a Local Area Network (LAN)??

Burst is pretty good for a GNU product. But I bet some people just can't get used to the Unix-like ASCII screen window. You tend to get spoiled by the GUI's in windows. Being a old time unix/linux guy I kinda like it.
Yeah, the other guys at work hate when I try and show them stuff via command line. Lot of the precanned programming languages (Matlab, IDL, etc.) have nice GUIs but I still like the command line. I still use a ported EMACS editor in Windows for programming in C/C++, hard to change habits default_biggrin

In a sense, yes. Every time you surf the internet - you are in a sense on a LAN/WAN, the internet is just a large network made up of smaller networks. LAN is just a high-speed data network that covers a relatively small geographic area (usually in the confines of a single building). WAN is the same thing, just spanning larger distances (distances on the scale of between major metropolitan cities and even country wide). LAN/WANs connects workstations, personal computers, printers, servers, and other devices - allowing them the ability to have shared access to devices, applications, file, and communication between users. Think of them as the technology that allow something like BitTorrent, an application, use a specific protocols to allow users to share resources.

I use BitTornado on Windows and the official client on my Linux router. My dad (who does way more BTing than I am) uses BitComet, but I don't like its slow response.

Whatever happened to good old DOS? We still use it today and don't even know it. Most of the commands are as good today as they were when I used 6.22. I do think it would be fun for a bunch of us on here to be on Mirc at the same time. I'm on one of the trivia channels a lot and we could chat as we go.

I still use a ported EMACS editor in Windows for programming in C/C++, hard to change habits default_biggrin

Ha..I have a russian friend who has that too..real old school. I still revert to Wordstar key combinations in most editors, if they have it. CP/M Wordstar that is default_biggrin

I did a sh%tload of C++ programming in MFC & OWL from like 90-00. Then got into Java heavily..just got sick of the memory management code...debugging other peoples, etc. If you don't need the performance, Java is like heaven compared to C++.

Bikeman982

In a sense, yes. Every time you surf the internet - you are in a sense on a LAN/WAN, the internet is just a large network made up of smaller networks. LAN is just a high-speed data network that covers a relatively small geographic area (usually in the confines of a single building). WAN is the same thing, just spanning larger distances (distances on the scale of between major metropolitan cities and even country wide). LAN/WANs connects workstations, personal computers, printers, servers, and other devices - allowing them the ability to have shared access to devices, applications, file, and communication between users. Think of them as the technology that allow something like BitTorrent, an application, use a specific protocols to allow users to share resources.

So Bittorrent Client is actual an application program you can use with the internet to refine people into a network without actually being directly linked? How is that any advantage over normal internet - is it faster or give you better connectivity?

BitTorrent is much more than just being able to download a file - those files have to be downloaded from a dedicated server + large amounts of bandwidth. BitTorrent files that are "seeded" over a large number of computers will spread out the bandwidth and file availability over all those computers. Sort of like trying to download a 100MB file from one source or 100 chunks of 1MB a piece from 100 separate or more computers and then recombining them on your computer.

Bikeman982

BitTorrent is much more than just being able to download a file - those files have to be downloaded from a dedicated server + large amounts of bandwidth. BitTorrent files that are "seeded" over a large number of computers will spread out the bandwidth and file availability over all those computers. Sort of like trying to download a 100MB file from one source or 100 chunks of 1MB a piece from 100 separate or more computers and then recombining them on your computer.
I would imagine that you must have to have a computer with large memory or storage capacity.

I am just using a laptop!

I would imagine that you must have to have a computer with large memory or storage capacity.

i have almost 670 GigaBytes of storage in one PC, and about 270 in another.

Bikeman982

I don't think it would work for me - I only have 36.3 GB on my PC!

you dont need alot of space, you just should have a fast connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

Bikeman982

you dont need alot of space, you just should have a fast connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

I have 108 MPS on my computer, but the laptop is wireless using a "Netgear" adapter.

I bought mine in a can today but no instructions about the internet.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/muzak/Corolla/bitterant.bmp

You have got some bitterent, but no client!!

LOL default_laugh The **AA is going to be interested in what (any) kind of bitterant can deter bittorrent abuse.

Bikeman982

I bought mine in a can today but no instructions about the internet.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/muzak/Corolla/bitterant.bmp

You have got some bitterent, but no client!!

LOL default_laugh The **AA is going to be interested in what (any) kind of bitterant can deter bittorrent abuse.

It is not right to abuse your bitterant - especially if you have no client.

It's about time these manufacturers added some kind of bitterant to their products. I personally know of 2 kids who died from 'huffing'.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else