Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Best Cold Air Intake? Mixed Info....

by azsunlover, August 10, 2006

I also had a question about intakes. I was at a couple Toyota dealers asking about the AEM full cold air setup & was told Toyota no longer offering because they make the check engine lights come on. Toyota is only going to be selling the TRD setup. Can anyone back this up with personal experience?

I also had a question about intakes. I was at a couple Toyota dealers asking about the AEM full cold air setup & was told Toyota no longer offering because they make the check engine lights come on. Toyota is only going to be selling the TRD setup. Can anyone back this up with personal experience?

Spend your money where you will, it's yours to spend but please consider it's only 130hp on it's best day. And even still engine horsepower is only a small part of the whole performance equation.

The Corolla [doesn't really matter what model, vintage or otherwise] is in reality a low priced car that is expected to perform as such...for the masses who want a reliable vehilcle that gets good fuel mileage. The S and yes XRS models are simply cosmetic marketing tools designed to attract a larger base, that being a younger buyers swayed by badges, ground effects, and gauges.

Cold air packages very often suggest their use with an oil treated filter...it is all too often that the owners servicing these filters OVER-OIL them in effect causing fouling critical air intake components [MAP, TB, etc] then wonder why they keep getting CELs and spending 15% of their gross monthly income in sensors, troubleshooting costs and alike. If you feel compelled to install a cold air intake, IMHO would shy away from oil treated filters and stay with DRY type.

In my "personal experience" [as requested] the time it takes from HOOD UP to HOOD DOWN [with oil treated filters] is very unproductive as it often holds up driving for quite a while [i.e they take too long to clean, dry, re-oil/treat/soak prior to reinstalling]

I'm sure your ride is important to you, as mine is to me...but for different reasons...but don't forget...it's just a corolla...not an RS4, S60R, AMG, or even one of Leno's Duesys. That's not to say it can't be personalized, but if it's performance your after, you may want to consider the fastest Toyota for the 2007 model year [take a guess ?]... go figure...RAV4 with V6 @300bhp and even does a 60-0mph in 120ft.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's ok to be [as your username would suggest] an "asian lover" but try not to get caught up in visions of grandeur of a vehicle that just isn't capable [or for that matter "worth"] if the performance level you hope to one day achieve rivals that of some of the models mentioned earlier...for if it is, you might end up spending a TON of dough and you're still left with a corolla.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike corollas, cripes I've owned several...I just drive them they way they were intended and designed.

Hope that was enough personal experience for ya.

• 1,424 posts

The 2005 and later Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE engines (that would be the CE, S and LE models) have an electronic throttle or throttle by wire. This electronic throttle changed some things, added some additional sensors, etc. The 04 intakes don't have places on them for all the sensors and caused a Check Engine Light. AEM hasn't upgraded their cold air intake to work with the 2005 and later models yet, they are still on the 2004 design. TRD has or will have a 2005 and later compatible cold air intake that will not cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate.

That is why Toyota isn't selling the AEM cold air intake anymore.

The S and yes XRS models are simply cosmetic marketing tools designed to attract a larger base, that being a younger buyers swayed by badges, ground effects, and gauges.

You should really get the word out because so many people are getting ripped off paying extra for cosmetic marketing.

xrs has a different engine, i didnt know the 2zzge was available in lower trims.

• 1,424 posts
The S and yes XRS models are simply cosmetic marketing tools designed to attract a larger base, that being a younger buyers swayed by badges, ground effects, and gauges.

You should really get the word out because so many people are getting ripped off paying extra for cosmetic marketing.

I agree with Jupiterboy's sarcasm. WyleCoyote, read below.

The 'S' is a cosmetic upgrade and it is indeed meant to appeal to a younger buyer than the typical Corolla buyer. However it isn't a rip-off as your post suggests because its price difference is negligable with the LE. The XRS isn't a cosmetic thing. It has a performance suspension, brakes, wheels, interior setup, and a more powerful engine and 6 speed transmission. It comes standard with many things that aren't available on the 'S' and has some things as standard that the 'S' has as optional. For all those extra things, Toyota has to charge more for it. It isn't a rip off. It is the only Corolla that can go from 0-60 in less than 8 seconds, can take a corner at more than 20 without squealing the tires, can brake without lockup from high speeds, and mostly, it was limited production.

Please explain to me how the XRS with all that stuff is JUST a "cosmetic" upgrade and is a rip off. Or for that matter how the 'S', which is usually much, much better equipped than the typical CE yet only costs a couple of grand more is a rip off. The way I veiw it, for what you get, there isn't any Corolla that is a rip off. A rip off is when they want the same amount of money for a used Focus or Cobalt as they do for a used Corolla of the same year and mileage.

xrs has a different engine, i didnt know the 2zzge was available in lower trims.

As I posted above, the XRS has a host of upgrades that aren't available on any other model. The main one being the engine, which puts out 170hp vs 126hp. It is only available in the XRS and that engine alone makes the XRS worth the price premium over the LE. The bigger wheels, better tires, better brakes (larger and 4 wheel disc), the upgraded suspension, and the standard ABS, cruise, etc are just icing on the cake. Plus bieng one of the very few who were fortunate to get an XRS new, as they only made it in 2005 and 2006 and only made 10,000 in those two years, is something to feel good about.

Bikeman982

Okay, the XRS is a different car altogether and worth every penny.

All I have is a little Corolla (DX version).

I agree with Jupiterboy's sarcasm. WyleCoyote, read below.

The 'S' is a cosmetic upgrade and it is indeed meant to appeal to a younger buyer than the typical Corolla buyer. However it isn't a rip-off as your post suggests because its price difference is negligable with the LE. The XRS isn't a cosmetic thing. It has a performance suspension, brakes, wheels, interior setup, and a more powerful engine and 6 speed transmission. It comes standard with many things that aren't available on the 'S' and has some things as standard that the 'S' has as optional. For all those extra things, Toyota has to charge more for it. It isn't a rip off. It is the only Corolla that can go from 0-60 in less than 8 seconds, can take a corner at more than 20 without squealing the tires, can brake without lockup from high speeds, and mostly, it was limited production.

Please explain to me how the XRS with all that stuff is JUST a "cosmetic" upgrade and is a rip off. Or for that matter how the 'S', which is usually much, much better equipped than the typical CE yet only costs a couple of grand more is a rip off. The way I veiw it, for what you get, there isn't any Corolla that is a rip off. A rip off is when they want the same amount of money for a used Focus or Cobalt as they do for a used Corolla of the same year and mileage.

As I posted above, the XRS has a host of upgrades that aren't available on any other model. The main one being the engine, which puts out 170hp vs 126hp. It is only available in the XRS and that engine alone makes the XRS worth the price premium over the LE. The bigger wheels, better tires, better brakes (larger and 4 wheel disc), the upgraded suspension, and the standard ABS, cruise, etc are just icing on the cake. Plus bieng one of the very few who were fortunate to get an XRS new, as they only made it in 2005 and 2006 and only made 10,000 in those two years, is something to feel good about.

the99contour...pardon me please,

I never said "rip off"...that was Jupiterboy and then you... please re-read my post...I choose my words carefully and when I feel I might offend someone, I usually add a disclaimer or apology upfront.

This post was about a cold air kit, which no one seem to argue my point about. I was merely trying to show that an owner could get caught up in things [money, time, etc] for so-called improvements that would have little [if any at all for this car] effect at all, or even it's cost vs value-added, that's pretty much it.

As far as the difference in horsepower, brakes, suspension, etc...I just don't feel that the difference in cost is justified...but I never said ripoff and I never intended to offend any corolla and/or toyota owner as I myself am one.

E-Mail and newsgroup posts often have no face [and I'm not one for smileys...man-rule here]. I shoot from the hip and call 'em the way I see 'em so before you start quoting me...please have your facts straight.

Hope that clears up some of the mud ... cripes, it's early ... work awaits.

Look to K&N and Cosmo for model specific carb cert. intakes.

AFE makes the TRD drop-in filter. The filter oil they use is reportedly non-fouling. I've been using the AFE/TRD drop in and have clean my MAF one time. No problems so far. As mentioned over oiling will cause problems. However, there are several non-oiled filters now for intakes. AEM makes one.

As far as I know there is no single intake that has never thrown a CEL.

You might check 9thGenCorolla.com for some dyno results and other specifics.

My problem with the intakes and filters, especially the dry filters, is poor filtering. I don't mind more air to the engine, but I don't want to decrease the life of the engine to add a few HP.

BTW, Lotus uses the 2ZZ in the Elise. It is the highest output per liter engine made I believe. So to say that the difference is cosmetic is to go against Lotus which has a truly venerable racing tradition.

• 1,424 posts
the99contour...pardon me please,

I never said "rip off"...that was Jupiterboy and then you... please re-read my post...I choose my words carefully and when I feel I might offend someone, I usually add a disclaimer or apology upfront.

This post was about a cold air kit, which no one seem to argue my point about. I was merely trying to show that an owner could get caught up in things [money, time, etc] for so-called improvements that would have little [if any at all for this car] effect at all, or even it's cost vs value-added, that's pretty much it.

As far as the difference in horsepower, brakes, suspension, etc...I just don't feel that the difference in cost is justified...but I never said ripoff and I never intended to offend any corolla and/or toyota owner as I myself am one.

E-Mail and newsgroup posts often have no face [and I'm not one for smileys...man-rule here]. I shoot from the hip and call 'em the way I see 'em so before you start quoting me...please have your facts straight.

Hope that clears up some of the mud ... cripes, it's early ... work awaits.

Re-read my post. I read yours carefully and I got the feeling you were implying the 'S' and 'XRS' weren't worth the extra money. Calling something a 'Cosmetic Marketing Tool' is akin to calling it a "Paint Job Special Edition" both of those things imply "RIP OFF" to most people who know about cars, how they are built and how they are marketed. I never said in my post that your post said "rip off" I said it implied or suggested that the 'XRS' and 'S' were rip-offs.

Jupiterboy introduced the term "Rip-off" after he read your post. We didn't conference with each other before posting. I only quoted his post because it was easier to reply with a quote than to add a new reply. Since he and I both thought you implied rip-off with your post, you might want to more carefully consider what your words imply next time.

Re-read my post. I read yours carefully and I got the feeling you were implying the 'S' and 'XRS' weren't worth the extra money. Calling something a 'Cosmetic Marketing Tool' is akin to calling it a "Paint Job Special Edition" both of those things imply "RIP OFF" to most people who know about cars, how they are built and how they are marketed. I never said in my post that your post said "rip off" I said it implied or suggested that the 'XRS' and 'S' were rip-offs.

Jupiterboy introduced the term "Rip-off" after he read your post. We didn't conference with each other before posting. I only quoted his post because it was easier to reply with a quote than to add a new reply. Since he and I both thought you implied rip-off with your post, you might want to more carefully consider what your words imply next time.

...in hindsight [and perhaps in the future, not just w/me but with others], a simple question from either of you [hey ! are you saying .....yada yada....? ] would have been the better thing to do instead of interpeting my words and then dwelling on it

...FWIW, truce already ? ...the horse is dead

the best intake for the DBW imo would be to just pull the snorkel leading into the airbox. instant shortram...sort of. well its free atleast.

Wow. Okay then..... Well the reason I was looking into the AEM was because I had a 2001 civic in the past with the full cold air and oilable filter. I followed the directions and believe I actually underoiled the filter. My power increase was wonderful at midrange rpm as well as my mpg went up by about 3-4 mpg. I'm not quite after all out performance, rather a few extra horses and to reduce some strain on the engine, therefore adding a couple more mpg in the process. I know that AEM now has an oil-less filter element they are now selling, but I still need an updated intake that will work with the new S. I'm going to have to do more research to see if TRD makes an oil-less filter element for their cold air setup. I'll keep you posted if I find anything.

Bikeman982

...in hindsight [and perhaps in the future, not just w/me but with others], a simple question from either of you [hey ! are you saying .....yada yada....? ] would have been the better thing to do instead of interpeting my words and then dwelling on it

...FWIW, truce already ? ...the horse is dead

Just kiss and make up. Not everyone has the same opinion.

Personally, I don't think they are a rip-off, just too expensive for me to afford.

• 1,424 posts
Just kiss and make up. Not everyone has the same opinion.Personally, I don't think they are a rip-off, just too expensive for me to afford.

I PM'd Wyle and we mutally agreed to drop the issue with the XRS and S. The way I see it, it is just a difference of opinion and it isn't important or relevant to the original post.

Happy now Bikeman?

Bikeman982

Just kiss and make up. Not everyone has the same opinion.

Personally, I don't think they are a rip-off, just too expensive for me to afford.

I PM'd Wyle and we mutally agreed to drop the issue with the XRS and S. The way I see it, it is just a difference of opinion and it isn't important or relevant to the original post.

Happy now Bikeman?

Good job,

I am happy, if you two are happy.

Ok, so here's the bad news and some good news for all of you '06 Corolla owners. The ONLY difference in the intake that I am told is an added little vacuum hose or emissions hose of sorts.....I haven't gotten a chance to compare the '05 model yet....but 2 guys from the dealership told me neither the AEM or the TRD intakes will work on the '06 models. The guy actually says that TRD may not even make one because of lack of accessory sales on the Corollas......So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I removed the plumbing off the airbox, which was very restrictive. I tried it with the open airbox, noticed an increase in power and a huge increase in sound between 3500 and 5000 rpm, which was cool outside, but a bit annoying inside the cabin. I then decided to go to Ace hardware and buy a 3 foot length of thick plastic spa hose, 2" inside diameter and a 90 degree elbow made of ABS plastic that happen to fit very snug right over the flex hose. The rest was very simple. I unclipped the airbox, removed the filter to expose the hole, removed the battery, then me and my friend shoved the flexible hose length from the inside of the box outward, routed down below the headlight (hose not flexible enough to go through small hole where you would have like to put it), and ended up hanging down about an inch below the bottom front molding. I then used the 90 degree piece to attach to the end of the hose, drilled a small hole in it, then zip-tied it to the tow loop, therefore making it sort of a very clean looking ram air intake that you can hardly tell is even there unless you look closely. The wooshing sound is just about gone completely, however can definately feel increased torque and a little hp on the top end, especially at highway speed, due to the cooler air coming in. This cost me a whopping $13 for the parts. Worth every penny.

plastic tubing is a big NO NO, theres the potential for melting and sucking into the engine, also who knows what sorts of acids the Polyvinylchloride is releasing when it gets hot, i know when it burns it releases some REALLY nasty hydrochloric acid and other very harmful chemicals.

however where you have located it sounds acceptable, it really sounds like you caught onto what i did to my stock airbox. that little tiny snorkel tube was a huge impediment to airflow, going down to less than 2" in diameter at one place. im glad that your project turned out well. i'd suggest finding a way to remove the large plastic resonator from the wheel well and put a pipe to down there to suck in air, you could add a small cone foam air filter for even better air filtration without any loss of power.

The o5 and 06s both have the smog pump. Injen CAI has a spot to hook up the pump. On second thought, that's for the 2ZZ. Nevermind. But the point is, some intakes have a place to attach a hose, which can be capped or directed to the smog pump. Check out Cosmo.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp...26&pid=1312

I've purchased a TRD intake tube from the supercharger kit and plan to modify it to do exactly what you have done. I'll probably have to pay to get some tube fabricated though, so it will be a while.

Bitter, the plastic tubing is spa-flex hose. It is thick walled plastic with metal spirals inside it. I checked with the store guys and they told me that it's high temp stuff, designed specifically for outdoor use in the Arizona sunshine. The tube is only running from the airbox along the wheelwell, and into the front air dam, so at worst, temperatures wouldn't rise above 150 degrees in that area. I'm also going to get some heat shielding tape as well to help keep the air cool.

Jupiter, thanks for the recommendation. They have a full cold air system as well as the short ram that supposedly works with the 05-06 models CE & S. Cold air system is $116 plus shipping. Not bad.

Topic List