Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

06 Electric Corolla? Is It Possible?

by azsunlover, August 10, 2006

Would it be a cool idea to have a fully electric Corolla? I mean NO gas motor at all. I'm thinking 2 electric motors paired up to replace the gas motor. Any ideas? And don't just say to go buy a Prius!!!!

Would it be a cool idea to have a fully electric Corolla? I mean NO gas motor at all. I'm thinking 2 electric motors paired up to replace the gas motor. Any ideas? And don't just say to go buy a Prius!!!!
Would be a cool idea - not sure on the practicality of such an idea. Remember the GM Impact years ago (100% electric car) - range was supposed to be 100+ miles (PR stuff quoted range of 250 miles) - ended up being around 50 miles MAX.

friendly_jacek

Well it is feasable now in the age of lithium batteries, but cost is the primary isssue.

Well it is feasable now in the age of lithium batteries, but cost is the primary isssue.

True, I'm not even sure of the price for the battery pack, nor what I'd get if I sold my 1.8 motor & what would cost for 2 prius electric motors.....unless I could just go out and find a junked Prius......which is nearly impossible because Prius owners drive smart....

Bikeman982

You could be the first to convert your car.

It might inspire Toyota to start making an electric one.

Actually Toyota does make a completely electric car - they just sold poorly and didn't recoup their worth in a reasonable amount of time. If gas prices keep going up like it is now and better / mature battery tech comes to light - might start to look attractive (100% electric vehicles).

But in the same time - they'll keep improving the internal combustion engines to spew less emission, get better fel economy, and keep their robust reliability. Hybrids are a really neat idea - selling very well. But as soon as the tax incentives and other perks (HOV commuting w/just driver in some states) dry up - you can bet they will not be as popular as they are now.

Bikeman982

Something stronger than better fuel use has to be done for autos.

Electric cars are definitely a better way to go.

As technology increases an inexpensive all electric vehicle is more likely to emerge.

Something stronger than better fuel use has to be done for autos.Electric cars are definitely a better way to go.

As technology increases an inexpensive all electric vehicle is more likely to emerge.

Have you guys read about the Tesla Roadster? Supposedly 0-60 in under 4 seconds. 100% electric. Google it. Also found a company named ZAP! electric cars. They import electrics and looks like they also do conversions. I'm going to check to see what they would do to a new Corolla and at what cost. I wouldn't mind being sponsored!

Bikeman982

Something stronger than better fuel use has to be done for autos.

Electric cars are definitely a better way to go.

Have you guys read about the Tesla Roadster? Supposedly 0-60 in under 4 seconds. 100% electric. Google it. Also found a company named ZAP! electric cars. They import electrics and looks like they also do conversions. I'm going to check to see what they would do to a new Corolla and at what cost. I wouldn't mind being sponsored!

Let me know what you find out. Right now I have a Corolla in the garage with no engine in it. Maybe I can pack it with batteries instead??

I bet you'd be surprised! default_cool The battery pack would replace the gas tank basically. If you go to www.zap.com, you'll see a couple used vehicles for sale that were turned into 100% electric vehicles. There was an old VW rabbit and an old Nissan pickup that I saw.

Bikeman982

I bet you'd be surprised! default_cool The battery pack would replace the gas tank basically. If you go to www.zap.com, you'll see a couple used vehicles for sale that were turned into 100% electric vehicles. There was an old VW rabbit and an old Nissan pickup that I saw.
Why couldn't I use it to replace my engine and transmission - or are those little items still necessary?

Topic List