Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Air Filter

by BobB, July 29, 2006

While at the dealer's service desk, I heard an adviser say to another customer that only a Toyota brand engine air filter can be used. Don't know for sure what year or make he was referrring to, but has anyone ever heard of this? Specifically, is this true for a 2005?

Thanks,

Bob

I'm pretty sure they honor warranty on the TRD filter. The MAF is fairly sensitive to changes in airflow. Maybe someone else will know more.

Why would anyone want to use anything BUT a genuine Toyota-brand air filter on their Corolla's engine? That's the only kind I use.

Why would anyone want to use anything BUT a genuine Toyota-brand air filter on their Corolla's engine? That's the only kind I use.

Because I didn't want to pay $50 for a $15 part.

Same with the cabin filter: $60 vs. $12 FRAM.

Not sure about your prices, Michael. Are they parts plus installation labor prices? My Totota dealer's parts department charges $20 for the engine air filter and $20.99 for the cabin air filter (2005 Corolla.) Both are easily replaced by most owners (the cabin air filter is behind the glove box door. Door must be removed, but it is not difficult.)

Absolutely, the air filters are less expensive from a third party. That is why I am asking the question about whether the genuine Toyota part is "necessary" as said by the advisor and worth the price premium. Can anyone definitively answer the part about having to use only the genuine Toyota air filter?

Thanks,

Bob

I'm pretty sure they honor warranty on the TRD filter. The MAF is fairly sensitive to changes in airflow. Maybe someone else will know more.

What is TRD and MAF? I'm not familiar with those abbreviations.

Thanks,

Bob

Max

TRD = Toyota Racing Development. MAF = Mass Air Flow, as in MAF sensor. You by no means have to use OE. But I always do while the car is under warranty. Some dealerships will refuse warranty work if you do not use OE, and have it installed on their premises.

Michael:

I don't know about your dealer's parts department, but $50.00 would buy me at least three engine air filters, and at least two cabin air filters, or one of each and a considerable amount of change. And I wouldn't use FRAM filters in any case. Well, I did use a FRAM oil filter once when I couldn't get a genuine Toyota oil filter, but next change went back to the OEM. The OEM filters may be a couple of bucks more than the FRAM and other stuff they sell off-the-shelf at the big-box auto parts stores, but they're intended for vehicles of lesser quality -- you know, your Fords, Chevvies, Dodges, well -- anything that isn't a Toyota! But, to each his own, I guess.

My Corolla is subjected to the severe conditions of spending most of it's time not going anywhere, so it doesn't make any sense for me not to use the OEM stuff, as infrequently as I need to change it.

Try www.1sttoyotaparts.com for OEM at a discount.

My dealer has parts specials every month and I stock up. Just got complete wiper blades for $8.95 each - genuine Toyota.

The OEM air filter is extremely well made and is worth the few bucks. You can vacuum it once before changing the next inspection.

I bought a pair of OEM wiper blades for my Corolla a few months ago, but they cost more like $20 for the pair. They were crap. The one on the driver's side started disintegrating in a couple of months. I had to replace them with a pair of Trico blades, which is what I should have bought in the first place. Actually, I prefer ANCO blades, but Tricos are also very good.

Since wiper blades are made by numerous parts jobbers and provided to auto manufacturers in bulk, they really don't much count as far as OEM quality is concerned. Similar philosophy applies to tires. I prefer Goodyear or Michelin tires; Toyota obviously uses them as OEM also.

Where can you buy some cheap ones ??

THe cost is outrageous, almost 2X the no names,

so far I've used toyota, but I am getting irritated.

Ti-Jean

I paid $10.74 US at Wal-Mart last month in Maine for a Fram air filter (CA9482) for my Corolla and the Matrix. I wouldn't touch a Fram oil filter but their air filters are decent. This particular one has one more pleat than the OEM and a rubber gasket around the edge that the OEM doesn't have.

And don't forget that the Toyota air filter is supplied by some outside vendors, such as... Fram or others.

• 1,424 posts

Of course the Toyota dealer says that, they want you to buy it from them so they can make more cash. I got my oil changed at a shop which wasn't a Toyota dealer and they replaced the filter at 16k. The FRAM filter they used had more pleats in it than OEM and appeared to be made from a similarily fine filter element.

On a side note: I love how some of you on here are "Toyota filter, Toyota Fluid, Toyota, Toyota, Toyota". You guys do know that Toyota doesn't make filters, fluids, wiper blades, tires, etc. You are actually better off going aftermarket on some things. For instance, Toyota's wiper blades, fliters, tires and batteries are made by someone else anyways. Those same companies that make the OEM stuff make the aftermarket stuff and most of the time the aftermarket stuff is higher quality than the OEM stuff because Toyota wants cheaper (inferior quality) stuff when it comes to those items than the autoparts stores and tire shops would sell. As for fluids, even Toyota admits in their manual that while Toyota OEM fluids are always right for your car, aftermarket fluids that have the same characteristics are not only acceptable but they interchangable.

As long as the aftermarket fluids, tires, batteries, etc are higher quality than OEM (which most mid line aftermarket stuff is: Tires are a perfect example, Toyota puts crappy Integrities on the Corolla as OEM but Goodyear makes a better tire for the Corolla like a TripleTred.) Then you are fine using the aftermarket stuff. I'm an OEM freak, and I required the body shop to use OEM fluids when they repaired my car, but that was because I knew if i didn't specify OEM that they would put cheap coolant in the car. As long as you are doing the work and know the stuff is of better quality, then don't pay any attention to the fact it didn't come in a Toyota box.

TRD = Toyota Racing Development. MAF = Mass Air Flow, as in MAF sensor. You by no means have to use OE. But I always do while the car is under warranty. Some dealerships will refuse warranty work if you do not use OE, and have it installed on their premises.

A dealer can't legally do that, and Toyota would hate to hear that they did. A dealer can only deny warranty work if they can prove to Toyota that the non-OEM part caused a failure that you want the warranty to cover. It even states in your warranty document that while they recommend using Toyota parts for repairs, using aftermarket parts will not affect your warranty unless those parts cause a otherwise covered failure.

If a dealer ever tries to say, I'm not covering your car under warranty because you didn't use a Toyota filter, wiper, etc. Call Toyota Corporate, complain loudly. Make sure they understand that the dealer told you they wouldn't work on your under warranty car because you didn't have them install a OEM filter or whatever. Then take it to another dealer who will honor Toyota's warranty. If Toyota cares as much about the customer as they say then they will repremand the dealer and possibly pull their agreement if this is a recurring incident. Ford has revoked their agreements with several dealerships for the very act of refusing to repair under warranty cars that were under warranty because they had some Non-OEM parts on them. Toyota would probably do this as well.

now_driving_VW

While at the dealer's service desk, I heard an adviser say to another customer that only a Toyota brand engine air filter can be used. Don't know for sure what year or make he was referrring to, but has anyone ever heard of this? Specifically, is this true for a 2005?

Thanks,

Bob

No, period. The Magnuson-Moss Act was enacted specifically for this purpose. The dealership nor Toyota cannot void a warranty just because you did not use a Toyota maintenance item.

Bikeman982

I buy Fram filters at Walmart and save the $$$.

WIX oil/air filters and Gates belts/hoses. Great protection for the money.

Even most Toyota dealers sell parts that are aftermarket, claiming they are 'genuine' toyota parts. What a crock.

• 1,424 posts
Even most Toyota dealers sell parts that are aftermarket, claiming they are 'genuine' toyota parts. What a crock.

I don't care if a wear item is an OEM part because like I said, OEM wear parts are cheap crap. Toyota doesn't care if the wear item lasts past the 12 months they warrant wear items for, and so they buy cheaper versions of what you could buy at Wal-Mart. I'd actually be willing to pay a dealer price for a filter that was better than OEM, which is exactly what you get in that case. I wont pay a dealer price for an air filter, wiper, battery or tire that is OEM because I can get better parts than they sell for way less.

Bikeman982

I don't care if a wear item is an OEM part because like I said, OEM wear parts are cheap crap. Toyota doesn't care if the wear item lasts past the 12 months they warrant wear items for, and so they buy cheaper versions of what you could buy at Wal-Mart. I'd actually be willing to pay a dealer price for a filter that was better than OEM, which is exactly what you get in that case. I wont pay a dealer price for an air filter, wiper, battery or tire that is OEM because I can get better parts than they sell for way less.

Most items are designed to last only as long as the warranty - or is the warranty designed to last just short of the items lifespan??

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)