Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Auto-rx And Sludge

By NILLINOIS, July 26, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

I'm kinda bringing this back from the dead too; sorry. default_ph34r My 98 burns oil, and after reading this post, I wonder if it may not be a stuck piston; the car only had 70,000 when I bought it. But it's getting colder, and reading up on Auto RX, I've seen comments about it turning solid as the temp drops, so is it possible to use Auto RX in conjunction with, say, Marvel Mystery Oil?

To find out for sure if you got stuck rings or not - you have to do a compression test. First a dry test, to see what the compression numbers look like, then one with a squirt or to of oil in the cylinder and see if the numbers improve. If the compression improves considerably - then you probably have stuck rings - a seemingly common issue with the 8th gen Corolla, especially the first two model years.

AutoRx has decent reviews from users, though I personally have not used it - so I cannot comment it if works or not. MMO also has decent results, though I tend to use it to fog parts with oil to protect from surface corrosion. Many have also reported reduced oil consumption with a high mileage motor oils, like ones from Castrol and Valvoline. I would not recommend mixing oil additives, that is just asking for trouble. Additives like AutoRx and MMO work great on dissolving deposits, but don't protect the engine like motor oil does - so adding them together could result in a lubrication protection issue for you car. Just use one or the other - but not at the same time.

Also, don't be tempted to run a higher weight motor oil to stave off oil consumption - it might work in the short term, but even over a small period of time, you will accelerate the oil consumption issue. Since you haven't fixed the issue, just hid it behind a thicker oil.

To find out for sure if you got stuck rings or not - you have to do a compression test. First a dry test, to see what the compression numbers look like, then one with a squirt or to of oil in the cylinder and see if the numbers improve. If the compression improves considerably - then you probably have stuck rings - a seemingly common issue with the 8th gen Corolla, especially the first two model years.

AutoRx has decent reviews from users, though I personally have not used it - so I cannot comment it if works or not. MMO also has decent results, though I tend to use it to fog parts with oil to protect from surface corrosion. Many have also reported reduced oil consumption with a high mileage motor oils, like ones from Castrol and Valvoline. I would not recommend mixing oil additives, that is just asking for trouble. Additives like AutoRx and MMO work great on dissolving deposits, but don't protect the engine like motor oil does - so adding them together could result in a lubrication protection issue for you car. Just use one or the other - but not at the same time.

Also, don't be tempted to run a higher weight motor oil to stave off oil consumption - it might work in the short term, but even over a small period of time, you will accelerate the oil consumption issue. Since you haven't fixed the issue, just hid it behind a thicker oil.

Is a compression test something I have to go to a garage for, or could someone who knows how to handle cars do it at home?

Is a compression test something I have to go to a garage for, or could someone who knows how to handle cars do it at home?

This can be performed at home, all you need is the compression tester. Fairly inexpensive, compared to having the work done at a garage. Should be well within the realm of your average DIYer - if you can perform normal maintenance (oil changes, coolant flushes, replace plugs, brakes, etc.) - a compression test would be easily handled.

There is a thread called 3 ARX cycles, didn't do much, bummer. This product will not remove VARNISH or SLUDGE, this product is the most expensive SNAKEOIL on the market today. If you use the product and your oil looks darker when you changed it then that is from the color of auto-rx. Some have reported that there oil filter was heavier when they changed it after an auto-rx use. That is because arx breaks things off into chuncks which can clog your lifters or oil pump screen. This product is composed of 3 different esters that have limited abilities in cleaning up your engine, if this product was really the cats meow, then someone would have copied it by now.

There is a thread called ARX & Aluminum Engines that you can Google, what is interesting is that since 2003 the owner of auto-rx has known that his product cannot clean up Varnish and that it has a hard time cleaning up aluminum parts. I have seen pics where this product has not even cleaned up steel camshafts and lifters. Auto-Rx is no longer a sponsor on BITOG, because the product did not work as advertised, there are also 40 LOCKED arx threads on BITOG, one of them is a thread called Paid Posters For Auto-Rx.

1133 people in the United Sates have bought this snake oil, and about 1120 are no longer using the product, the other 10 are still using it because they are getting discounted or even free product to say great things about auto-rx.

Thanks for the head's up - I've always read about good things about Auto-RX, but found their claims to be a little "too" good. Most of member of this forum tend to have a more skeptical view on additives. BITOG has always had a mixed bag of postings - just have to weed through the B.S./paid posters there to get at the relevant information - too bad, as there is a lot of good information on that forum, just hard to discriminate between honest opinions and experiences vs the marketing engine behind some of those products.

Post InfoTOPIC: LIVE IN CALIFORNIA ? Emission Test RESULTS 9-13

Frank

Date: 06:43 AM Oct 8, 2013

LIVE IN CALIFORNIA ? Emission Test RESULTS 9-13

Hi Frank,

Well my numbers were better and the oil consumption has gone down quite a bit. It also turns out that my catalatic converter is not as good as it should have been. I ended up with a conditional pass which means I have a year to fix my problem.

Your products deffinently does work. I will use it again.

Thanks

William ---

On Saturday, August 17, 2013, Frank Miller wrote:

8-17 Please let me know how your test goes (or went)

Frank Miller

__________________Frank J. Miller

This post is from the owner of auto-rx that is posted on his board, problem here is that this post is entirely made up. Where are the before and after emmission test numbers, how much better were the numbers, how much did oil consumption go down. The thing that shows us this post is not true is when we look at the spelling, Frank Miller is a terrible speller, he should probably use spell check, he spells the word definitely wrong. This is how he spelled it, DEFFINENTLY, I looked the word up and there is no such word. Things are so bad at auto-rx that the owner has to makeup threads to try and push his worthless product.

There are only a few people who post favorably about auto-rx:

1. dnewton3

2. sprintman

3. Donald

4. badtlc

These 4 individuals post on BITOG and they are Paid Posters For Auto-Rx, the reason this product is sold on the internet and not in stores is because the FTC would come after auto-rx for selling SNAKEOIL and making misleading claims, Auto-Rx claims that it can do 11 things, the only thing it can do is to clean up some ring packs, and it will only do that if the contaniments are very slight. If you want to clean up your ring packs there are cheaper ways to do it, since a bottle of auto-rx costs $28.00

You could do an OCI with Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra, a 5 quart jug of either oil is cheaper than a bottle of auto-rx. 160 ounces of a good cleaning oil is gonna do a better job than 12 ounces of auto-rx. You could also use a bottle of Kreen or MMO to clean up your Ring Packs. I talked with Bob Winters, he is the original BOBISTHEOILGUY, he tested auto-rx and found that the product was worthless. Auto-Rx will do one other thing, and that is to empty your wallet. The owner is now claiming that after you do an auto-rx clean and rinse that you need to go on the maintenance dose of auto-rx, just a way to siphon more money out of your wallet. Kreen, MMO, and Rislone do not tell you that you need to go the maintenance dose after using there product.

I'm not a believer in snake oils either (MMO, Rislone, Kreen as the exceptions) - but because a poster didn't put up before/after numbers or is a terrible speller, doesn't necessarily equate to a bogus posting. Maybe give the original posters to toss up the numbers, if they try and deflect the questions and praise the product constantly - just ignore them.

Topic List