Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Recall On 2001 Engine Part?

by listoff, July 18, 2006

Hello fella Corolla owners. I was doing my daily pass on MSN.com today and came across the aritcle titled, "Toyota recalls 420,000 vehicles". If this topic was already covered by someone in the past, please forgive my lateness.

Link to MSN article

The article says the recall was mainly over Prius and Echos, but...

----

"The recall affects 268,570 vehicles sold in Japan across 12 models manufactured in 2001, including Corollas, the compact cars Vitz and Platz and the hybrid Prius, the company said in a statement submitted to Japan's Transport Ministry.

A faulty engine part could lead to an oil leak in the engine and cause it to stop, the statement said. There have been no accidents blamed on the fault, according to Toyota.

The recall also affects about 150,000 cars sold overseas, mainly in the United States and Canada, Toyota spokeswoman Shiori Hashimoto said. These autos were also manufactured in 2001."

----

My wife drives an '01 CE My question is, how do I know if this '01 is one of the 150,000 sold in the USA that need to go in for repair as stated in the last paragraph? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Mike

So they added more cars to the list - originally when I saw that, it only involved cars sold in Japan.

If your car is one of those involved in the recall - you will receive a notice in the mail.

My 2002 was manufactured in 2001 - so I would also be interested in what particular part is having problems.

We bought the car used from a non-Toyota dealership. So, I doubt Toyota knows we even own the car. So, I guess Toyota won't get in touch with me about this one. :-( If there's another way to know which cars are effected, like VIN identification, that would be great!

Thanks all!

Mike

Sometimes the DMV will contact you with some information, even if Toyota doesn't.

When I had a recall on a Dodge truck - Chrysler Corp sent a letter and about a week later I got a postcard from the DMV - both on the recall on the brake lines for the truck.

NHTSA and other organizations also list the affected models and sometimes a list of affected units (all via VIN number).

Just have to wait and see. When Toyota had that huge recall on the steering components on trucks and SUVs (around mid-May, early June?? of this year - affected something like 775,000 trucks and SUVs in the US) - they didn't start contacting owners until the beginning of July.

Max

Local news here didn't mention Corolla. It was Echo, Yaris, and Prius, built in 01. I don't get that, as Yaris is brand new to the states.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)