Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Is The Difference Between The 04 And 05 Ce Intakes?

by tommyt, July 18, 2006

My girlfriend has a 05 CE and wants an intake, but all i see is 03-04 models. Does anyone know of an intake that will fit? thanks guys

there arent any or many intakes that work with the drive by wire system on the 05.

• 1,424 posts
My girlfriend has a 05 CE and wants an intake, but all i see is 03-04 models. Does anyone know of an intake that will fit? thanks guys

Yeah, bitter was right. The '03-'04 intakes won't work on the '05 or '06. In 2005 Toyota introduced several systems on the Corolla. One was an ignition system that didn't have a central coil and wires, but rather a coil pack sitting atop each spark plug. This eliminated the need for plug wires and made the ignition system a lot more efficient. Another system they introduced ONLY on ABS equipped models was TPMS or tire pressure monitoring system. It uses the ABS computer to sense if one wheel is constantly turning slower than the others by a significant amount. If this condition is met, you can say for almost certain that the tire is low on air, and the car will light up a warning light telling you the light is low. Yet another system Toyota introduced in the Corolla in 2005 was the chipped key. It uses a chip in the key to communicate with a computer in your steering column to allow your car to start. If the chip isn't close to the column or if the code in the chip doesn't match, the car won't start. The system that makes the '03-'04 intakes not work with your car is ETC or drive-by-wire. Instead of the accelerator pulling a cable that opens a throttle body or closes it, you car has an accelerator that is a electrical switch. Depending on how far you push the pedal, the switch tells a servo how much to open or close the throttle. As you can see, these two systems are completely different and therefore not compatible.

how do these systems affect the intake? is it how the air flow meter hooks up? do you know of any intake that will work? or should i just get the k&n filter? does the typhoon short ram fit? thanks again and good info on the last two replies

they'll not have locations for all the sensors and pop a check engine light.

there is one primary difference and one minor difference.

the primary difference is some part of the PCV system used to dump into the throttle body itself, now it dumps into the plastic intake farther upstream. you buy an 03/04 intake (and 05 intakes from asshats on ebay) and you find out it doesn't fit on an 05 cause there is no bung for your hose. I just took a little filter and some fuel line and rigged it up, but ended up taking it off and returning the product (thinking the real deal was just around the corner...(two years later)).

the minor difference is a carbon filter in the filter box which apparently reduces emissions by some small fraction, which multiplies to a big difference across millions of corolla's...when I probably make 1000 times the emissions each time I fill my mower...big freakin deal, but emissions changes = no carb certification in CA, so only one 05 intake to date, the cosmo found here : http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp...26&pid=1312

don't know if they engineered some carbon filter or if they just don't sell to CA...or if they figure caveat emptor...

Make one. Find some piping that's flexible, get a filter, and a silicone connector. Should be around 50bucks or so at autozone.

you guys are awesome thanks for the help!

Topic List