Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Next Corolla Delayed Til 2008...

by Ti-Jean, July 12, 2006

Ti-Jean

"Automotive News reported yesterday that Toyota has decided to leave the current Corolla on the market for an extra year and delay its replacement until 2008. This will be the current generation's sixth year on the market, which is a record and breaks the company's long-standing tradition of redesigning vehicles after their fifth model year.

Toyota cites the redistribution of engineering resources to ensure a smooth launch for the redesigned Camry as the main reason for the delay. Other automotive news outlets are speculating that the real reason is because Honda's new Civic has forced Toyota to go back to the drawing board.

For our part, we believe Toyota. The Honda Civic is currently enjoying a 17.1% increase in sales through the first six months of 2006 and has moved 165,056 units. Despite the Honda's critical success, the Corolla continues to steam roll its competition, including the new Civic, with a 38.7% increase in sales during the first half of the year, selling nearly 200,000 units. Clearly the Corolla can hold its own for one more year, which gives Toyota 365 more days to build a better Civic slayer".

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/11/toyota-...lla-until-2008/

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0394/1148/rss25

Very surprising decision IMO. They rushed the new Camry 6 months sooner to get ahead of the competition and think they can stay at the top of the compact class by sitting with the current Corolla one more year.

If the go this route, at least Toyota will have more time to put all the features we want in the new generation Corolla. default_wink

all they need to do is to put more leg room and telescoping

steering wheel.

Corolla 'SI' default_smile

Well, the good thing about it is that all our Corollas will have an extra year before they show their age.

from what I have seen, the 10th gen won't look that different from the 9th gen. Think of a yaris sedan, only bigger. If it has upgraded safety features and perhaps a 5sp auto tranny I will get one come 2010.

The current generation has good legroom and excellent fuel economy.

The styling is fine.

Why mess with a good thing.

I read in a future cars magazine that the next gen Corolla will have a CVT for an automatic and the base engine will be at least 2 ltrs and have apprx. 150 hp.

I would really be interested in the next gen Matrix, I just hope it does come with a stronger base motor.

Perhaps by then, the Corolla could also be available as a hybrid. My belief is that the hybrids would be available throughout the Toyota line. As for the Corolla, well it'll likely be around for the next 40+ years!

Bikeman982

They will probably save some money by delaying all the re-tooling costs for a year. Keeping the same model to me makes sense, since it appeals to a lot of people. Why change a good thing.

Ti-Jean

They will probably save some money by delaying all the re-tooling costs for a year. Keeping the same model to me makes sense, since it appeals to a lot of people. Why change a good thing.

The thing is that the competition is moving, FAST!

First Mazda, then Honda with the Civic and Nissan about to introduce (finally) a brand new Sentra.

Toyota will certainly lose market share to its rivals if it keeps the current Corolla for 6 years, no matter how good it is and satisfied its owners are.

Bikeman982

Toyota already has a big market share and if they continue to advertise and keep a good reputation, they won't lose many customers.

here downunder we got the 9th gen a year or so before the Nth american market - come december, the 9gen has been around for 6 years. It is still top of the perch in small car sales. It has seen off the 1st gen ford focus, the 2nd gen ford focus, new gm astra, new nissan Tiida, new mazda 3 etc. all except for a few months corolla has been no.1 small car. And, with petrol set to top $1.50/litre this fortnight I would reckon that its would be knocking on the door of no.1 car outright...

Did they delay it to catch up to the new Civic and Maxima? Or because they rolled out the Yaris?

First Mazda, then Honda with the Civic and Nissan about to introduce (finally) a brand new Sentra.

Toyota will certainly lose market share to its rivals if it keeps the current Corolla for 6 years, no matter how good it is and satisfied its owners are.

I've driven a current generation Sentra (2005 model) owned by a friend, and trust me, they wouldn't have to do very much to improve the darn thing! It is absolutely horrible in every respect. I tried to talk this friend into a Corolla, but he is older, in his 70's, and the white-faced instrument dials killed the idea of the Corolla for him. Damn! I don't particularly care for them myself, and wish Toyota would make them go away. However, I wonder how many other people are not buying Corollas because of those freakish white face instrument dials? I digress...

Does anyone think there is ANY possibility Toyota will come up with a diesel engine option for North American Corollas? Needless to say, I'd go for that in a minute!

all they need to do is to put more leg room and telescopingsteering wheel.

...not to mention variable intermittent wipers being standard equipment on their entire Corolla line!

I don't think there's anything to worry about, Ti-jean. The Corolla will still hold its own for the next several years.

Bikeman982

I think they should go back to a look that is similar to the 7th generation Corollas, only with current technolgy standards and options.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)