Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Outstanding Fuel Economy

by Larry Roll July 7, 2006

I just finished one of my annual trips to the Buffalo, NY area, with an additional trip to Inlet, NY in the Adirondacks State Park, and then from there, back home to Dover, DE. I checked my fuel economy a couple times on the way. On the way up to Buffalo, was getting 40.9 MPG. The trip to Inlet, which started with a full tank of fuel in Alden, NY and included 5 days of local driving around Inlet, then approximately 40% of the trip back to Dover, netted just over 38 MPG. From my last fillup to home I only drove an additional 215 miles, and the fuel tank is registering just a hair below the 3/4 level. So, from experience, I know I will be seeing around 41 - 42 MPG for that leg.

Throughout the entire trip, I stayed at the posted speed limit -- 65 MPH or 55 MPH, depending on the road. I know that whenever I've "pushed it" to 70 - 72 MPH, I've been getting around 35 - 37 MPG. So, the obvious answer to getting maximum economy (40+ MPG) out of my Corolla is to set the cruise to the speed limit and just keep it between the dotted lines. At those speeds, you also get a more relaxed ride, can breeze through the speed traps with impunity!

Bikeman982

I just finished one of my annual trips to the Buffalo, NY area, with an additional trip to Inlet, NY in the Adirondacks State Park, and then from there, back home to Dover, DE. I checked my fuel economy a couple times on the way. On the way up to Buffalo, was getting 40.9 MPG. The trip to Inlet, which started with a full tank of fuel in Alden, NY and included 5 days of local driving around Inlet, then approximately 40% of the trip back to Dover, netted just over 38 MPG. From my last fillup to home I only drove an additional 215 miles, and the fuel tank is registering just a hair below the 3/4 level. So, from experience, I know I will be seeing around 41 - 42 MPG for that leg.

Throughout the entire trip, I stayed at the posted speed limit -- 65 MPH or 55 MPH, depending on the road. I know that whenever I've "pushed it" to 70 - 72 MPH, I've been getting around 35 - 37 MPG. So, the obvious answer to getting maximum economy (40+ MPG) out of my Corolla is to set the cruise to the speed limit and just keep it between the dotted lines. At those speeds, you also get a more relaxed ride, can breeze through the speed traps with impunity!

Larry, If I did 55 to 65 MPH on the highway around here I would be cited for obstructing traffic. Minimum (in 65 MPH zone) would be 70 MPH. Most people are doing 75 - 80 MPH (unless police are present or an accident has happened).

Bikerman, sounds like the QEW in Canada...unbelievable...any time I've been in VA has been along 81, and the police presence is plenty strong along that highway.

I know my Corolla loves 55MPH when it comes to fuel use...

Bikerman, sounds like the QEW in Canada...unbelievable...any time I've been in VA has been along 81, and the police presence is plenty strong along that highway.

Yea, I get the finger when I drive that fast on the freeway here in so. cali. So for 38mpg going 75mph, that's good enough for me. I'm not trying to hit like 50 million miles per gallon or anything. So, I also have a middle finger air freshner hanging from my rear view mirror for everybody to see. default_laugh

• 1,424 posts

I didn't buy the Corolla for its fuel economy, but it is a nice perk. The 35 MPG I get at 80mph is nice, as is the 37 MPG at 75mph, and it saves me a lot of money over the 22 and 24 MPG I used to get in my Contour at the same speeds. I really can't compare those two cars though. The Corolla is a 130 HP 1.8L 16V I4, the Contour was a 170 HP 2.5L 24V V6. Both had 4 speed automatics, though the Toyota's is smoother and has faster downshifting.

Why 75 or 80 you ask, well for one it gets me from College to Home in 75 or 80 minutes instead of 100. Two is that I'm moving just slightly faster than the majority of the other traffic. This gets me where I'm going faster without putting me at such a great risk for tickets like I would have if I drove 90.

I wonder when people will finally get it. Most of the time I drive right at or just above (ie 5mph) the posted speed limit (city driving). I see people riding my back end or zooming past me just to stop and wait at the upcoming red light. Usually its some jerk in a Full sized pickup or monster SUV. I hate paying the $130 fine for 5 to 10 over the speed limit plus the insurance issues… People just seem Sooo rude these days…

Interesting series of replies. Everyone is rationalizing their speeding, but it's still speeding! During my NY trip, I had everything on wheels whizzing by me, but I was safely "parked" in the right lane, usually in a small pack of other sane people, watching while all the others flashed by getting lower gas mileage and waiting to greet us at the same rest stops and sitting one or two car lengths ahead of us at the toll exits. I just hope none of you ever becomes involved in a high-speed traffic accident, like the one I saw on my way up through the NE Extension of the PA Turnpike on Sunday, June 26. Two young men in a Hyundai Elantra passed me at around 75 MPH. 20 minutes later, their car was upside-down on the side of the highway, one of them was on the ground being given First-aid by another good Samaritan who got to them before me, and the other was trying to recover his drums from the overturned vehicle. I convinced him they'd still be there after the Fire Dept. declared it safe to remove them, and he'd look a lot better without his skin fried to a crisp. I never had a chance to ask them what their hurry was, not that it matters any more.

BTW, if you ever find yourself at the scene of a traffic accident, probably the best way to make yourself useful is to keep the victims from doing stupid things.

Here in Canada, on my last tank I got 6.2 litres/100 km, which is the equivalent of 45.5 miles per gallon. This is a combined highway/city reading though I've been doing more highway driving (and staying within the posted speed limits of 100 km/hr, or ~63 miles per hour). I was able to reach 387 miles on this last tank and the low fuel indicator light hadn't yet lit up. At this point in my life I can not see myself in anything larger than a Corolla. The Prius comes to mind, especially since I can put my bike in without taking the front wheel off. However that's a story for another time.......a long ways off!!

Yea, I get the finger when I drive that fast on the freeway here in so. cali. So for 38mpg going 75mph, that's good enough for me. I'm not trying to hit like 50 million miles per gallon or anything. So, I also have a middle finger air freshner hanging from my rear view mirror for everybody to see. default_laugh

I was pleasantly surprised on my other practice ventures on the freeway (for those of you in Ohio, it was 270 again, I'll admit it...all I do is go to malls, this was simply a test to see if I could get to Easton). I must say once I got used to people zipping by, and looking over my shoulder to make sure no one was sneaking up on me...and to prevent myself from accidently hopping onto 70/71, I decided the best lane for me was the middle, unless there was a reason to be on the right lane, since merging traffic was a hinderance, the middle was best for me... I am sure there were plenty ticked off at seeing someone going spot on 65 on I270, I occasionaly have gone 70, but I don't think I'd want to go faster, unless I get a bigger vehicle w/more options.

But I was impressed that my fuel economy was good. the needle went down a bit, but as soon as I got off 270, and was on normal roads again, my needle went back to its original position.

Bikeman982

Well I got just over 30 MPG with the last tankful. I do an average of 75 MPH and that is mostly highway miles.

If I could get better mileage (without driving slower) I would probably give it a try.

A lot of you seem to get better mileage than I do and I am not sure why. Maybe it is because I need to tune my car a little better or change my tires. Anyway, that is how the driving goes.

Larry, If I did 55 to 65 MPH on the highway around here I would be cited for obstructing traffic. Minimum (in 65 MPH zone) would be 70 MPH. Most people are doing 75 - 80 MPH (unless police are present or an accident has happened).

We need $4 gas , then , maybe, people will slow down, I ain't seen it yet.

Well I got just over 30 MPG with the last tankful. I do an average of 75 MPH and that is mostly highway miles. If I could get better mileage (without driving slower) I would probably give it a try.

A lot of you seem to get better mileage than I do and I am not sure why. Maybe it is because I need to tune my car a little better or change my tires. Anyway, that is how the driving goes.

Bike, you have 150k miles right?

If so, do do do look into oil treatment. Get the cheap stuff that has consistency like honey. I'm almost positive this will work for you. I have 192k miles and when I don't use it, I get worst mileage. Disconnect your ECU and reset it. I heard that if you do, that the ECU will adapt to the way you drive instead of its previous programming. You'll need to drive consistently for like 50 miles or something. Again, this is hearsay. But definitely look into oil treatment.

I'm not one of those people that says "DO NOT USE ANY ADDITIVES" (Snakeoils). I do use some additives on occasion but not as a regular routine. The additves I use are primarily for fuel, tranmission, coolant. The oil treatment you recommend may be good or maybe not. A friend of mine rebuilt engines in a shop for many years back in the 70s and 80s. I remember him telling me you could tell right away the engines that used STP Oil Treatment. The STP would cake up inside the pistons and in some severe instances be caked all the way down to the end of the piston skirt....that ain't good.

Before I used any of that type of product, I think I would at least to a compression and vacuum check to see if the engine is healthy.

Just my opinion.....

Good luck BikeMan.

Jay in MA

friendly_jacek

Well I got just over 30 MPG with the last tankful. I do an average of 75 MPH and that is mostly highway miles. If I could get better mileage (without driving slower) I would probably give it a try.

It was explained to you that the 20W50 oil that you use was the culprit.

I'm surprised that you didn't get it.

I'm not one of those people that says "DO NOT USE ANY ADDITIVES" (Snakeoils). I do use some additives on occasion but not as a regular routine. The additves I use are primarily for fuel, tranmission, coolant. The oil treatment you recommend may be good or maybe not. A friend of mine rebuilt engines in a shop for many years back in the 70s and 80s. I remember him telling me you could tell right away the engines that used STP Oil Treatment. The STP would cake up inside the pistons and in some severe instances be caked all the way down to the end of the piston skirt....that ain't good.

Before I used any of that type of product, I think I would at least to a compression and vacuum check to see if the engine is healthy.

Just my opinion.....

Good luck BikeMan.

Jay in MA

Interesting....I also heard that oil additives does nothing for cars that are 200hp or higher and engines having less than 100k miles. That i what I think though

Bikeman982

I think I will try the synthetic oil after my supply of conventional oil wears out.

Topic List