Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By twinky64, June 8, 2006

See every reply in these pages:

Is there a better engine for a 1998 toyota corolla ce? What I mean by better is more hp without sacrificing the fuel economy to 20 mpg? Can a 2zzge engine fit directly? Any input on any type of engine is welcome. Thank you

2ZZ-GE will fit - but not a "true" drop in fit as the engines are slightly different. No hybrid G head on F block type of deal either - as there are significant differences between the two. I've seen a few successful 2ZZ-GE swaps into 8th gen Corollas - but not what performance the person expected. They are pretty strong, but you would probably get similar gains with a forced induction projects without killing fuel economy too much.

Toyota's own TRD supercharger would be the ideal choice (compact, good power, bolt-on performance) - but alas, no fitment to our generation of Corollas (only indicated fitment to 2003 and 2004 Corollas only). A few turbo kits also available - but 90% of the time, the owners eventually adopt a custom setup (most kits have still yet to be worked out completely) - as most manufacturers of these kits do not have the time, resources, or even care about testing every single model they list as possible fitment.

If you're looking at a modest power boost, 10HP or so, bolt-ons will the easiest solution (intake, exhaust, fuel/ignition management, lightening the car, reduce unsprung weight, etc.) But in the end - you are limited by the car - it is only a Corolla.

Bikeman982

Is there a better engine for a 1998 toyota corolla ce? What I mean by better is more hp without sacrificing the fuel economy to 20 mpg? Can a 2zzge engine fit directly? Any input on any type of engine is welcome. Thank you

Is your engine shot and requires replacement, or are you just inquiring because you want something with more power?? Generally larger engines get worse fuel economy. As Fishexpo has said, there are modifications you can make to boost power without sacrificing much economy.

Can you drop a 1zzfe vvt-i into a 98 corolla with no modifications (ie. alternator, fan belt, wiring, ecu, etc)? I have a regular 1zzfe and thinking about putting a 1zzfe vvt in there. Also, can you swap the 1zzfe engine from the corolla and replace it with a 1zzfe celica engine with no mods?

Can you drop a 1zzfe vvt-i into a 98 corolla with no modifications (ie. alternator, fan belt, wiring, ecu, etc)? I have a regular 1zzfe and thinking about putting a 1zzfe vvt in there. Also, can you swap the 1zzfe engine from the corolla and replace it with a 1zzfe celica engine with no mods?
There will always be modifications - here it would be with the ignition system, wiring, and ECM. The physical dimensions of the engine itself is the same. Most of the accessories will stay the same - some wire looms and bolt locations probably have changed.

The 1ZZ-FE from the Celica can be used - but will require some mods (same as the VVT-i variant of the 1ZZFE) and intake placement is different. Note the programming on the Celica ECM may cause your car to fail emissions (OBD-II check) in some states. Replacing a non-VVTi 1ZZFE with one with VVTi shoud pose less of an issue.

Does it mean the smog tolerances are less strict for Celica than Corolla, and the Celica map spew more exhaust?

I think the perfect swap for us 98-99 people is the 04 1ZZ with ECM. (No 05+ 1ZZ because they're drive by wire means more work for swappers) Then conversion to C59 stick tranny, then Tokico strut plus 1" drop springs (was Eibach, now H&R), then CAI intakes and stainless steel exhaust, then Volk CE28N 15" + 195/55/15 tire of your choice, then LED all around, then... default_laugh

Does it mean the smog tolerances are less strict for Celica than Corolla, and the Celica map spew more exhaust?

I think the perfect swap for us 98-99 people is the 04 1ZZ with ECM. (No 05+ 1ZZ because they're drive by wire means more work for swappers) Then conversion to C59 stick tranny, then Tokico strut plus 1" drop springs (was Eibach, now H&R), then CAI intakes and stainless steel exhaust, then Volk CE28N 15" + 195/55/15 tire of your choice, then LED all around, then... default_laugh

nice

nice

Will JDM 1zzfe engines pass smog in california? Is it possible to change out the 1zzfe engine with a 3sge or 4age?

Don't know about JDM 1zz. But do they have a requirement that swapped engines must be from a NEWER model year car? I mean no 4AGE in a 1ZZ car?

Don't know about JDM 1zz. But do they have a requirement that swapped engines must be from a NEWER model year car? I mean no 4AGE in a 1ZZ car?
No clue about only engine swapping for newer engine models. Speaking of which, is there a toyota engine that will provide good hp, like 200hp within 2.5L? I know honda can do that and have that but I always thought that toyota and honda were rivals in every aspect.

Maybe soon - Toyota is trying to turn the 2.4L engine in the Scion tC, Camry, and others into the darling "tuner" motor. Aftemarket work (read - turbocharging) have pumped out as much as 500+ HP from that motor.

Buurin is right on the engine swaps - most cases, if the engine is newer than the swapped engine - usually legal to swap (this assumes at least the same emissions levels - this doesn't apply if you use a newer JDM motor). The 3SGTE would be a beast of a motor if you are able to get it in - but requires major fabrication to make it work.

Bikeman982

My straight engine swap has turned into a lot of work. I needed a new tranny mount, another wiring harness, different connectors, different ECM/ECU and other fit issues. Be prepared for frustration!!

Why is it that there are practically no engine modifications for the corolla? But there are engine modifications for the celica? They both use the 1zzfe right, except for the gts that is? Can the celica 1zzfe be swapped out with a corolla 1zzfe? Why are there turbo kits and supercharger kits for the celica 1zz but none (except for 03-04 corolla 1zz) for the corolla? Can you turbo or s/c a corolla XRS?

I want to get more power out of the 8th gen corolla because body wise, its better than the 9th gen corolla. If you look at the portrait of a corolla, its a damn square! Its more prone to rolling over! the 8th gen corolla is more rectangular with the lengthier side being the top and bottom. Its less able to rolling over and has a turning traction of .77g's as a threshold.

Well - I wouldn't go that far as saying the 9th gen are more roll prone - you'd have to be going at a pretty good clip to roll a Corolla, regardless of the generation - suspension and chassis compliance will make sure of that. But I do agree that the 8th gen has more chassis tuning potential, if compared to the 9th gen (ind. rear link suspension instead of the beam axle).

There are lots of mods available - just ones that not easily bolted on. Like they say - you have to pay to play. TRD S/C was only good for the 2003-2004 Corolla - I think it was more of testing the water for aftermarket here in the US and a stop gap measure until the XRS came out. Most of the aftermarket components for the Celica with the 1ZZ-FE will fit the Corolla, they do share the same basic core design (the intake/exhaust/ECM are different though). Turbo kits are a different matter - most go full custom right off the bat, as most kits available DO NOT fit (I have not seen any true "bolt" on turbo kits to date). But the nature of the mod does not make it a bolt on affair anyways.

You can Turbo or S/C any engine - depends on how much you are willing to dump into the project. There are a few turbocharged XRS Matrix and Celicas - haven't seen any Corollas XRS turboed to date, but it will only be a matter of time.

Best bang for the buck - nitrous. Guaranteed power added and can be set low enough to run on stock internals. I've seen 25-50HP shots taken with no major mods. Some have run as much as 75HP shot - but that maybe dancing too close to the edge. Bolts ons can only do some much - adding a programmable engine management, like GReddy eManage or similar with a wideband O2 sensor for tuning, with bolt ons (intake, exhaust, etc.) - can extract maximum power. Some see as much as 14-20HP to the wheels, depending on what they modded.

agreed, it takes more than people think to roll a car. my 93 can take a hard over right at 30 with some understeer, but it'll turn. you'd have to be going 60+ and just cut the wheel. even then it'd probably just understeer, you'd have to hop on the brakes hard to make some wheels lock and catch, then MAYBE it would flip.

Bikeman982

I don't think the Corolla was intended to be rolled. If you do roll it, that means you have been in an accident and hopefully you have survived.

Corollas are intended for reliable transportation vehicles and trying to make them performance vehicles is not an easy project.

agreed, it takes more than people think to roll a car. my 93 can take a hard over right at 30 with some understeer, but it'll turn. you'd have to be going 60+ and just cut the wheel. even then it'd probably just understeer, you'd have to hop on the brakes hard to make some wheels lock and catch, then MAYBE it would flip.
But see that's just the thing, the fact that it can be rolled over eazier is kinda....i dunno, decreased performance and engineering since the previous gen. I mean, .77g's for a SUPER LOW END car is pretty good. I suppose that toyota didn't have the intention of having the corolla perform which is why they looked more towards utility than towards handling/performance. Makes sense though

Still, with a larger portrait, the "speed" at which to obtain optimum fuel economy to speed ratio is decreased. This is due to the more frontal surface area making contact with the wind and I think everybody would agree that with all that exposed surface area, its not exactly molded to cut through the air very well. If anybody's has read my other posts, I mentioned the car's profile resembles an egg. So I suppose that I would expect the corolla to perform like an egg when it comes to cornering.

But thanks Bitter for answering my post. Always good to read a new idea now and then

Well - I wouldn't go that far as saying the 9th gen are more roll prone - you'd have to be going at a pretty good clip to roll a Corolla, regardless of the generation - suspension and chassis compliance will make sure of that. But I do agree that the 8th gen has more chassis tuning potential, if compared to the 9th gen (ind. rear link suspension instead of the beam axle).

There are lots of mods available - just ones that not easily bolted on. Like they say - you have to pay to play. TRD S/C was only good for the 2003-2004 Corolla - I think it was more of testing the water for aftermarket here in the US and a stop gap measure until the XRS came out. Most of the aftermarket components for the Celica with the 1ZZ-FE will fit the Corolla, they do share the same basic core design (the intake/exhaust/ECM are different though). Turbo kits are a different matter - most go full custom right off the bat, as most kits available DO NOT fit (I have not seen any true "bolt" on turbo kits to date). But the nature of the mod does not make it a bolt on affair anyways.

You can Turbo or S/C any engine - depends on how much you are willing to dump into the project. There are a few turbocharged XRS Matrix and Celicas - haven't seen any Corollas XRS turboed to date, but it will only be a matter of time.

Best bang for the buck - nitrous. Guaranteed power added and can be set low enough to run on stock internals. I've seen 25-50HP shots taken with no major mods. Some have run as much as 75HP shot - but that maybe dancing too close to the edge. Bolts ons can only do some much - adding a programmable engine management, like GReddy eManage or similar with a wideband O2 sensor for tuning, with bolt ons (intake, exhaust, etc.) - can extract maximum power. Some see as much as 14-20HP to the wheels, depending on what they modded.

Unfortunately, here in california, nitrous oxide is illegal to have installed to your engine. Speaking of N2O, how much is this gas, is it expensive? I wouldn't think it would be considering those are two elements to find very eazily.

I know it sounds really silly as to inquire about information on suping a corolla. The reason for me consider it down the future is quite reasonable really. 1 - The car already gets great gas mileage with a lightweight chassis so increasing the power/weight ratio while only eating away at the already high 40mpg economy is good. I would think that with a s/c added, the fuel economy would move from 40mpg to 30/35mpg maybe? 2 - the corolla line has always have had good reliablilty and quality, as in hard to break/destroy the car, very robust. I heard from one of my friends that corolla engines are much stronger and thicker than honda engines. Thus if you turbo a honda, after a period of time the engine will die. As for the toyota, it keeps going because the block is that much stronger than honda's engine.

I guess supercharging a izzy would only bring the hp to 170, around the xrs hp. And supercharging the duzzy would bring that hp to at least 200, hopefully 250 to have a power/weight ratio of .1! Why is it that the duzzy engine gets significantly less fuel economy than the izzy engine. A change of 8mpg!

I also read, I think it was on this site, that the izzy engine is more responsive, more aggressive sooner, and hits max hp sooner than the 2zz engine which is why people prefer the 1zz over the 2zz. If that's the case, then perhaps getting a forced induction system for the 1zz vvtl-i would be better for take off than having to wait around for the rpms to hit 7600 on the 2zz vvtl-i engine.

Lastly, can I get a celica 1zzfe engine swapped into my corolla to replace my current 1zzfe? The celica 1zz gets 140hp while mine gets a pathetic 120hp. Why is it that the celica gets more power if the corollas and celicas are using the same engine?

Actually the 9th gen are "cleaner" to the air than the 8th gen. Their Cd is a bit lower and frontal area is within a few feet. Can't always just the handling of the car by its profile - example a Corvette is easier to flip than a Corolla. That's because the Corvette's limits are so high, once you run up to them - a rollover can happen unexpectedly. Like bitter mentioned - a Corolla will just plow (understeer) and burn up the tires before it will roll.

As for the nitrous - pretty cheap stuff, runs about $30-$50 to fill a 10lb bottle. Good for about 4-8 runs down a 1/4 mile track or about 100 seconds continous running (~ 10 sec of nitrous per pound). The 2ZZ-GE gets worse gas mileage because it is tuned OEM a bit on the rich side and makes its power higher up in the RPM range. If the 1ZZ-FE engine is better for boost vs the 2ZZ-GE - depends on who you ask. Powerband wise - the 1ZZ is tuned for low to mid-range power, with VVT-i it doesn't lose that much at the high end of the RPM scale. 2ZZ doesn't start waking up until around 3K RPM and once you hit "lift" - really starts to pull.

People like boosting the 1ZZ over the 2ZZ - because there are just more 1ZZ engines. With proper tuning - even the lofty 11.5:1 CR of the 2ZZ can take boost. But proper tuning cost $$$ - a good street tune will be very minimum to run, but with either one - I'd have a spare engine laying around. Both Honda and Toyota employ an "open-deck" block design - you can get braces or different sleeves to strengthen the block - but I'd say both engines are about the same for durability under boost (I was running all Hondas before the B-series engine craze). Hondas look like the engines are weaker - probably due to the number of aftermarket bolts on you have available and varying levels of tune (easier to get the engine boosted - easier it is to blow it up).

Celica engine makes more power due to differences in ECM programming, intake and exhaust design. Granted they are the same basic engine - but those differences and how the engine sits relative to the chassis, has a great influence on the amount of power produced. Several people have gone down that road before (Celica engine swap into a Corolla, moving all Celica related changes to a Corolla, swap with JDM 1ZZ-FED) - end results were disappointing. Most of the swaps resulted in a marginal increase in HP - some lost as much as 14HP in the process (120HP Corolla > 140HP Celica - 14HP loss = 126HP, net gain of 6HP).

For the difference in price with a swap - you could add your own intake and exhaust, engine management, and some tuning time on a dyno - and get about the same results and save yourself some serious $$$ and headaches. As long as the parts you add have the CARB EO# - they are legal for use in Cali.

Actually the 9th gen are "cleaner" to the air than the 8th gen. Their Cd is a bit lower and frontal area is within a few feet. Can't always just the handling of the car by its profile - example a Corvette is easier to flip than a Corolla. That's because the Corvette's limits are so high, once you run up to them - a rollover can happen unexpectedly. Like bitter mentioned - a Corolla will just plow (understeer) and burn up the tires before it will roll.

As for the nitrous - pretty cheap stuff, runs about $30-$50 to fill a 10lb bottle. Good for about 4-8 runs down a 1/4 mile track or about 100 seconds continous running (~ 10 sec of nitrous per pound). The 2ZZ-GE gets worse gas mileage because it is tuned OEM a bit on the rich side and makes its power higher up in the RPM range. If the 1ZZ-FE engine is better for boost vs the 2ZZ-GE - depends on who you ask. Powerband wise - the 1ZZ is tuned for low to mid-range power, with VVT-i it doesn't lose that much at the high end of the RPM scale. 2ZZ doesn't start waking up until around 3K RPM and once you hit "lift" - really starts to pull.

People like boosting the 1ZZ over the 2ZZ - because there are just more 1ZZ engines. With proper tuning - even the lofty 11.5:1 CR of the 2ZZ can take boost. But proper tuning cost $$$ - a good street tune will be very minimum to run, but with either one - I'd have a spare engine laying around. Both Honda and Toyota employ an "open-deck" block design - you can get braces or different sleeves to strengthen the block - but I'd say both engines are about the same for durability under boost (I was running all Hondas before the B-series engine craze). Hondas look like the engines are weaker - probably due to the number of aftermarket bolts on you have available and varying levels of tune (easier to get the engine boosted - easier it is to blow it up).

Celica engine makes more power due to differences in ECM programming, intake and exhaust design. Granted they are the same basic engine - but those differences and how the engine sits relative to the chassis, has a great influence on the amount of power produced. Several people have gone down that road before (Celica engine swap into a Corolla, moving all Celica related changes to a Corolla, swap with JDM 1ZZ-FED) - end results were disappointing. Most of the swaps resulted in a marginal increase in HP - some lost as much as 14HP in the process (120HP Corolla > 140HP Celica - 14HP loss = 126HP, net gain of 6HP).

For the difference in price with a swap - you could add your own intake and exhaust, engine management, and some tuning time on a dyno - and get about the same results and save yourself some serious $$$ and headaches. As long as the parts you add have the CARB EO# - they are legal for use in Cali.

What's the CARB EO#?

California Air Resources Board Executive Order

It is usually a sticker or stamping or piece of documentation that exempts the part from the prohibitions of California Vehicle Code about modifing the emission control system on the car. The CARB EO number allows you to legally install and use an aftermarket performance part.

Bikeman982

But see that's just the thing, the fact that it can be rolled over eazier is kinda....i dunno, decreased performance and engineering since the previous gen. I mean, .77g's for a SUPER LOW END car is pretty good. I suppose that toyota didn't have the intention of having the corolla perform which is why they looked more towards utility than towards handling/performance. Makes sense though

Still, with a larger portrait, the "speed" at which to obtain optimum fuel economy to speed ratio is decreased. This is due to the more frontal surface area making contact with the wind and I think everybody would agree that with all that exposed surface area, its not exactly molded to cut through the air very well. If anybody's has read my other posts, I mentioned the car's profile resembles an egg. So I suppose that I would expect the corolla to perform like an egg when it comes to cornering.

But thanks Bitter for answering my post. Always good to read a new idea now and then

Cars are designed to be aerodynamic in shape. It also coincides with the appearance of easier rolling should the car flip. It reduces the drag caused by the air flowing over it. Eggs are smoother than rectangular butter when flying thru the air.

however, eggs are taller than those "rectangular butter" shaped cars. I think the "best mix" between a butter block and an egg would be the mixture of the 7th gen and the 9th gen corolla. So I think that would be the 8th gen corolla.

Bikeman982

however, eggs are taller than those "rectangular butter" shaped cars. I think the "best mix" between a butter block and an egg would be the mixture of the 7th gen and the 9th gen corolla. So I think that would be the 8th gen corolla.
I concur. Write to Toyota and let them know what the public really wants!

I told ya, ZZE110 rules! Especially after doing all the swaps I mentioned earlier. default_biggrin

On a side note, there's rumor on TN that the next Corolla will get a new platform and possibly a 2.0L engine (could be the 1AZ?). ACM10 anyone?

Topic List