Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

P1346 - Corolla Vvti 2001

Guest Edmundo

I've got a five year old Toyota and for the last few months it's been playing up. I've been away a lot, so only now trying to get it fixed. The engine computer light has been on and the reading is P1346. The dealer says this is the "camshaft position sensor" and replacing the sensor will cost me £500 (parts, labour, VAT). The symptom is that there is a frequent loss of power under my right foot. Generally it's OK cruising, but not always, but frequently when accelerating, putting your foot down does not deliver an increase in power, though occasionally there are additional revs not feeding through, despite the clutch remaining undepressed.

Will replacing the sensor cure the problem? I don't feel ready to part with £500 (=nearly $1000) if it's still going to perform like this.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions!

I'd go to a different dealership. P1346 is related to the VVT-i system - "VVT Sensor Range/Performance" problem is an OEM specific code (Toyota/Lexus). The camshaft position sensor could be the culprit - but I'd be quite wary, unless the dealer backed it up with some solid diagnostics (I'm assuming they just plugged in a handeld and says - the computer is telling me this part is bad = bad diagnostics).

Note that P1346 also reports "Intake Camshaft Position [CMP] Sensor System Performance" problem on GM vehicles. That was my point with trying a different dealership - just in case they read the code incorrectly.

Since you are having divability problems - it probably is related one of the position sensors (the camshaft has fins on the end that the sensor reads to figure out relative position of the camshaft - sensor doesn't cost $1000). Sometimes the dealership will offer a guarantee - if the fix doesn;t work - you don't have to pay or get a discount. Usually the dealer will just throw parts at it and hope that it will fix the problem, with you holding onto the check at the end. A second opinion would be very helpful.

friendly_jacek

Another corolla with the vvt problem. Interesting.

However, there is a TSB on corolla explaining that CPS can be damaged by careless insertion of oil distributor nozzle into the oil filler hole. If the metal baffle below the filler hole is distorted, it can damage CPS. I bet this is that happened. Check the baffle, get a copy of the TSB (by googling) and confront the dealer that does your oil changes.

Bikeman982

It would definitely be advisable to get a second opinion. It may not require as much work, or be as expensive in another location.

I've been through this drama already and I can tell you that the camshaft position sensor could be the culprit (because its tied into the VVT operation) but in all likelyhood it could also be the VVT intake pulley. There is a TSB that is associated with this and a simple test for the dealer to perform to determine if its the camshaft sensor or the VVT pulley. Your car is hooked up to the Toyota diagnostic station and the VVT function is toggled on and off. If its the pulley you're car shouldn't stall. In some cases the VVT pulley might not be defective. Because it is actuated by oil pressure it might be that the small filters before the oil feed hole are clogged and need a good cleaning. When they look at it these filters are the first thing to check. They shouldn't have to disassemble the top-end to get at these items.

If not, then your VVT intake pulley is probably worn and stuck. Mine went 200 000 km before it was kaput. These things happen sometimes.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)