Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Intake

by LabtecDaN, May 2, 2006

Will a cold air intake do any difference to my 1998 corolla? and if so what? default_blink

Good info on this thread...

Intake thread

Will a cold air intake do any difference to my 1998 corolla? and if so what? default_blink

I have a short ram air intake in my 98 toyota corolla. I've noticed a boost in power and I don't feel it until I hit something like 3000 to 4000 rpm. Is it worth it? Well I got mine for 30 bucks on ebay so why not? I've noticed a small but noticeable increase in fuel economy. My car has 190,000 miles on it and I couldn't really burn out in it anymore and if I did, it just chirped for a split second. My car also felt a little sluggish but after I had installed the intake, I've noticed an increase in bhp; especially and open throttle. Just try it out, like I said 30 bucks, why not?

Bikeman982

Cold intake will improve your performance only slightly. It is better than stock, if you want to spend the money.

If I take out the intake snorkel between the left headlight and battery, then use a piece of hose to reroute the intake to the grille pointing forwards, with everything else stock, will I have a cold air or short ram intake? This is my little pig (99 1ZZ) with K&N drop-in.

And what kind of benefit I can hope to get?

What if I point that new inlet downwards a little?

All these mods should take no more than $20 in parts.

I consider it a cold air intake if it seen from outside the vehicle or atleast projects in front of the battery.

Been talked about quite a bit - idea is sound: "colder air is generally denser air - more oxygen to add to the fire type of thinking". The issue becomes how much cooler is it - some have reported temps as much as a 20 degree difference between ambient vs under hood temp - others have seen differences as low as a single degree (there was a link here from 9thgencorolla a while ago). Some also say there is a "ram" air effect from mounting the intake so that it faces forward - though that is more speculation than real engineering/physics.

Some fear hydro-lock in areas prone to flooding (sucking water into the engine, instant death in most cases with bent valves at the mild end to con rods blown out the side of the block) - though the chance of that happening is very slim unless you purposely try and get water in there.

Still - something easy enough for one to mess around with, just to see what happens. In your case, since you have a drop-in K&N (just like I have) - you probably won't see too much of a difference, aside from a lot more noise.

I did fit a CAI using plumbing parts to my '00 - it worked damn well. Better throttle response off the line, at high revs it completely changed the vehicle. I used a forward facing intake to force the air up there. Alas, because it wasn't certified by an engineer I had to remove it come inspection time...

what parts did you use for that? ...i have always wanted to that aafter hearing people saying how easy it was....about how much is it and how long would it take to install?

I did fit a CAI using plumbing parts to my '00 - it worked damn well. Better throttle response off the line, at high revs it completely changed the vehicle. I used a forward facing intake to force the air up there. Alas, because it wasn't certified by an engineer I had to remove it come inspection time...

Smog or safety inspection? Good thing we only need regular smog check here in Ontario Canada (which is still more a cash grab than anything); safety inspection only when cars change hands.

That said, we still regularly have smog hanging over our skies.

Topic List