Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Hello Everybody

by Scramble, March 26, 2006

I just bought my first Corolla. A 2001 S with 71,000 miles. I love it so far, I've had it for a week. I bought it to commute to work with because I was putting too many miles on my '99 4Runner & to save on gas money. It's 50 miles each way. It doesn't have any maintenence records so I don't know what was done to it. I guess I'll have to do the whole 9 yards. Besides getting it mechanicaly sound for peace of mind, I'd like to customize it too. Spoiler, Bra & other interior & exterior accessories. I look forward to picking everyone's brains.

Scramble default_biggrin

Bikeman982

I just bought my first Corolla. A 2001 S with 71,000 miles. I love it so far, I've had it for a week. I bought it to commute to work with because I was putting too many miles on my '99 4Runner & to save on gas money. It's 50 miles each way. It doesn't have any maintenence records so I don't know what was done to it. I guess I'll have to do the whole 9 yards. Besides getting it mechanicaly sound for peace of mind, I'd like to customize it too. Spoiler, Bra & other interior & exterior accessories. I look forward to picking everyone's brains.Scramble default_biggrin
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of threads here to give you great ideas on what to do to your car. Too numerous to mention, so try some searches for specifics.

Glad to hear from you and keep up the contributions to the forum.

I just bought my first Corolla. A 2001 S with 71,000 miles. I love it so far, I've had it for a week. I bought it to commute to work with because I was putting too many miles on my '99 4Runner & to save on gas money. It's 50 miles each way. It doesn't have any maintenence records so I don't know what was done to it. I guess I'll have to do the whole 9 yards. Besides getting it mechanicaly sound for peace of mind, I'd like to customize it too. Spoiler, Bra & other interior & exterior accessories. I look forward to picking everyone's brains.

Scramble default_biggrin

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of threads here to give you great ideas on what to do to your car. Too numerous to mention, so try some searches for specifics.

Glad to hear from you and keep up the contributions to the forum.

Thanks, I've been here reading all day. default_ohmy

Welcome to Corolland! default_biggrin

Enjoy your stay, lots of people here to help you out if you have any questions.

Bikeman982

I am here all day, every day. Just kidding - I actually have a new job and am gone most of the time. I drive my Corolla over 100 miles 6 days a week to work and back. It is a fun car to drive and has been getting 30 MPG with mostly highway miles. I wish it had a bigger gas tank so I didn't have to fill it up every three days.

I recomend only using a bra during bug season. They can trap moisture and make the paint color uneven over time.

Good luck with your car. With no history, I'd change all the fluids asap (incuding the trans), air filter, spark plugss, and enjoy every trouble free mile your car gives you.

I am here all day, every day. Just kidding - I actually have a new job and am gone most of the time. I drive my Corolla over 100 miles 6 days a week to work and back. It is a fun car to drive and has been getting 30 MPG with mostly highway miles. I wish it had a bigger gas tank so I didn't have to fill it up every three days.

That's about what I'm getting. I'm filling up every 3 day's too. My 4Runner has a 19 gallon tank but I was filling that up every 2 day's.

I recomend only using a bra during bug season. They can trap moisture and make the paint color uneven over time.

Good luck with your car. With no history, I'd change all the fluids asap (incuding the trans), air filter, spark plugss, and enjoy every trouble free mile your car gives you.

I've heard about the moisture in the bra's, don't they dry while driving? I drive on the Long Island Expressway every day & there are lots of pebbles & dirt, etc. I'm doing it more for paint chips than bugs. Thanks for the advise, I'll be changing all of the fluids, tune up & tire rotation real soon.

I just bought my first Corolla. A 2001 S with 71,000 miles. I love it so far, I've had it for a week. I bought it to commute to work with because I was putting too many miles on my '99 4Runner & to save on gas money. It's 50 miles each way. It doesn't have any maintenence records so I don't know what was done to it. I guess I'll have to do the whole 9 yards. Besides getting it mechanicaly sound for peace of mind, I'd like to customize it too. Spoiler, Bra & other interior & exterior accessories. I look forward to picking everyone's brains.Scramble default_biggrin

First thing to do... check the integrity of the oil baffle on the valve cover. I just posted about this and its outlined in TSB EG 007-02. Make sure the baffle isn't bent and if it is then straighten it out and make sure your oil change guy doesn't bend it again. Since we both have the same car and the bulletin came out in 02 I'm guessing that at sometime someone probably shoved a heavy oil gun into that area and bent the baffle. Mine was bend and I had to remove the valve cover and straighten it out.

Do this now before it escalates into a much bigger problem... like a broken camshaft angle sensor, or GASP! a wrecked camshaft!!.. or worse like broken bits of metal circulating inside your valve-train. The repair should take you 1/2 hour if you're a DIY.

Bikeman982

I have seen cars with a bra on the front and they do protect it, but when you remove the bra you may get surprised. The rest of the paint on the car won't match the color of the paint that was under the bra and the car will look very funny. The paint fades normally in the sun and the bra covered part will not fade. That means when you eventually remove the bra, or take it off because it is worn out, you will either have to replace it or get the car painted (if you want to sell the car or drive it without the bra).

I have seen cars with a bra on the front and they do protect it, but when you remove the bra you may get surprised. The rest of the paint on the car won't match the color of the paint that was under the bra and the car will look very funny. The paint fades normally in the sun and the bra covered part will not fade. That means when you eventually remove the bra, or take it off because it is worn out, you will either have to replace it or get the car painted (if you want to sell the car or drive it without the bra).

If you get one, don't get a cheap one and you shouldn't have the moisture problem as much. Anymore, rock chips n stuff isn't that big of a deal because the front bumper will never rust. Your car is going to age and road rash is just wear and tear. The bra is pretty much a dead fad and I hardly ever see anyone using one.

Now days, I've seen transparent strips that you can install on the hood of the car to help protect your paint. I forget the brand name, but if you google it, you should be able to find something. It looks way better then a bra.

Bikeman982

If you get one, don't get a cheap one and you shouldn't have the moisture problem as much. Anymore, rock chips n stuff isn't that big of a deal because the front bumper will never rust. Your car is going to age and road rash is just wear and tear. The bra is pretty much a dead fad and I hardly ever see anyone using one.

Now days, I've seen transparent strips that you can install on the hood of the car to help protect your paint. I forget the brand name, but if you google it, you should be able to find something. It looks way better then a bra.

It seems like the front of the car is always susceptable to rocks and chips. I drive a lot of highway miles everyday and am always hearing the ping of rocks bouncing off the car. I try not to follow trucks that drop gravel or whatever their overloaded cargo is that they carry. I just got a chip on my windshield that I really don't like, from a little rock on the highway.

Scramble default_biggrin

First thing to do... check the integrity of the oil baffle on the valve cover. I just posted about this and its outlined in TSB EG 007-02. Make sure the baffle isn't bent and if it is then straighten it out and make sure your oil change guy doesn't bend it again. Since we both have the same car and the bulletin came out in 02 I'm guessing that at sometime someone probably shoved a heavy oil gun into that area and bent the baffle. Mine was bend and I had to remove the valve cover and straighten it out.

Do this now before it escalates into a much bigger problem... like a broken camshaft angle sensor, or GASP! a wrecked camshaft!!.. or worse like broken bits of metal circulating inside your valve-train. The repair should take you 1/2 hour if you're a DIY.

Thanks! I'll check it out on Sat.

Interesting, I didn't think of that. Either way I'll have to get the car painted, because of chips or fading! It looks like a no win situation. LOL

I wouldn't go cheap, I've seen some carbon fiber ones that look great. I'll have to check out those strips. Thanks.

Bikeman982

I personally would not put one on. I think they are a little tacky and don't look good. I think a better front end improvement would be to change the stock headlights to performance lights and also to add a full body kit for total change.

Topic List