Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By trimoneo, March 23, 2006

Hey Guys,

I have a 99 toyota corolla ce, and it was running fine a while ago. Two months back, just before winter i changed the spark plugs, the coolant, air filter, oil filter, got a transmission flush done. Also about a month ago I was behind schedule for my oil change by around 800 miles but got that done too. Now I have noticed that when my car is in Park i.e. idle the engine makes a lot of noise as if running at high speed or something. As soon as i put it into any gear it sounds normal. Also I have noticed a marked decrease in my pickup and my engine is not as smooth as it was. I can sense it especially if I rev it uphill or try to speed up it seems as if the engine is getting stressed. Earlier i used to get a mileage of about 30 to 32 mpg now it has come down to 26 to 28. Can anyone help me with this please..........

what kind of plugs did you use?

bosch platinum plugs?

Hey Guys,

I have a 99 toyota corolla ce, and it was running fine a while ago. Two months back, just before winter i changed the spark plugs, the coolant, air filter, oil filter, got a transmission flush done. Also about a month ago I was behind schedule for my oil change by around 800 miles but got that done too. Now I have noticed that when my car is in Park i.e. idle the engine makes a lot of noise as if running at high speed or something. As soon as i put it into any gear it sounds normal. Also I have noticed a marked decrease in my pickup and my engine is not as smooth as it was. I can sense it especially if I rev it uphill or try to speed up it seems as if the engine is getting stressed. Earlier i used to get a mileage of about 30 to 32 mpg now it has come down to 26 to 28. Can anyone help me with this please..........

Sounds normal. Your mileage in the winter will be less than summer mileage. Also, the engine will idle at higher RPM when cold-starting your car. With respect to the pick-up perhaps if you used a lower quality air filter there's more air flow restriction so you're running a richer fuel/air mixture. Could also be varnish deposits on your throttle body or even your pcv. Also, doesn't hurt to get your fuel system flushed out professionally every once in awhile to keep the injectors misting properly.

What kinda mileage is on the car now?

Earlier i used to get a mileage of about 30 to 32 mpg now it has come down to 26 to 28.

I've also had similar mileage drops in the winter.

Thought it was just me...

Hey Guys,

Also I have noticed a marked decrease in my pickup and my engine is not as smooth as it was. I can sense it especially if I rev it uphill or try to speed up it seems as if the engine is getting stressed.

Another thing you might be experiencing is low transmission fluid pressure through a "not topped up" transmission. Since most torque converters rely on hydraulic pressure to shift your shift points will be harder for the transmission to gauge so downshifting (ie under load, going uphill) will be delayed and your engine will seem "labored". Harder shifting is another symptom of this problem.

Check the spark plugs. I have always stuck to the OEM spark plug in every vehicle I've owned, I just believe the manufacturer know best. Make sure they're gapped correctly unless they're iridium plugs. Don't mess with gap on those.

Bikeman982

Hey Guys,

Not to be overlooked - it could be your fan coming on. When your car idles and heats up the fan comes on automatically making the engine sound louder. It will go off after you drive and the air and the radiator starts cooling the engine.

bosch platinum plugs?

I used NGK plugs........

Check the spark plugs. I have always stuck to the OEM spark plug in every vehicle I've owned, I just believe the manufacturer know best. Make sure they're gapped correctly unless they're iridium plugs. Don't mess with gap on those.

I used NGK spark plugs and I tok special care to keep the right gap using a gaping tool. I know for a corolla it is about 0.04.

Bikeman982

bosch platinum plugs?

I used NGK plugs........

I used NGK spark plugs and I tok special care to keep the right gap using a gaping tool. I know for a corolla it is about 0.04.

Spark plug gap for my cars is .031.

bosch platinum plugs?

I used NGK plugs........

The correct gap for your 1999 Corolla is .044. There are 3 or 4 different NGK plugs made for your car, all the same gap, but don't touch the gap on iridium plugs as I said above. When you changed the plugs, did you do one plug at a time to make sure you got the plug wires back on the correct cylinder? Recheck all the plugs to make sure you don't have a wire loose, and check wires to make sure they are not resting on the engine block or contacting one another.

Bikeman982

bosch platinum plugs?

I used NGK plugs........

Would it still run even with two plug wires on the wrong plugs? It seems like it would not even start, and if it did, would run very, very rough.

The correct gap for your 1999 Corolla is .044. There are 3 or 4 different NGK plugs made for your car, all the same gap, but don't touch the gap on iridium plugs as I said above. When you changed the plugs, did you do one plug at a time to make sure you got the plug wires back on the correct cylinder? Recheck all the plugs to make sure you don't have a wire loose, and check wires to make sure they are not resting on the engine block or contacting one another.

Topic List