Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1991 Corolla For Sale

by jjminch, March 10, 2006 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

1991 Toyota Corolla DX Sedan AT 83k White, blue interior

First the bad.

The car was involved in an accident. Some turd w/o any insurance pulled out in front of my fiance and she t-boned him. Can't find him with the police report, so I may have to just sell the car to cut my losses.

Damage is to the front end, obviously. Needs a new bumper, grill, hood, ds fender, ds headlight. The crossmember is bent about 2". There was NO damage done to the radiator or engine that I can see at all. No fluid leaks.

I've talked to a couple of mechanics and they told me that they could just put it on the machine and straighten the frame back out for pretty cheap. That way you could just bolt on some new body panels off ebay to save money. This is what I was planning on doing. However I live in an apartment, so this project is a little difficult without a garage to do it in.

Other than that the A/C needed a new compressor, it had a bad clutch. And the oil is going to need changing soon, comming up on the 3k mark. Front brake pads will need swapped out soon.

The good.

Only 83k original miles. Car was owned by an old lady who drove it to church. She was one of my Dad's friends mothers. Second owner was my sister, who drove it to school.

Haven't had any major problems with it at all. It has a new (or within 1.5 years old) airfilter, plugs, wires/cap, battery, coolant flush, upgrading headlights, and good tires.

Has a basic Pioneer CD deck about 2 yrs old. After the accident sometimes it gets stubborn and doesn't want to eject a disc. Front speakers were replace less than 6 months ago with Lightning Audio coax's. They actually sound quite good for being oly 4" cheap aftermarkets. Rear speakers are stock.

No visible rust or other major body problems. Car has a few dings, normal wear for a car of it's age. Paint is still shiny, and all rubber trim in good shape.

Interior is in very good condition. No holes or major stains. Just normal wear.

I've taken care of this car religiously, and I hate to have to get rid of it. Car has done many roadtrips without any problems running all day at 85mph. Motor runs pretty strong for what it is. Managed 115 mph with 3 ppl in the car, and all my belongings that I could fit in it on my move from Seattle to Phoenix. Don't normally flog it (I have a bike for that) but there is nothing else to do in the desert, but go fast. This car was just a backup means of transportation to me. The low miles reflect that.

Car is drivable, I've done about 15 miles with it since the accident. The bumper cover rubs on the ds front tire, so it makes some noise. Haven't correct that for insurance reasons.

I'll get some pics up soon. But I'm open to reasonable offers.

jjminch@yahoo.com

Big red line at the top of the page says "Put your locationinto the subject line!!!"

My bad. Phoenix, AZ

Bikeman982

Sounds like one of my old cars - minus the damage. I sold both of them using e-Bay. I didn't get much, but at least they were sold. You can advertise and sell them privately and also list it on e-bay. You would definitely get more by parting it out and listing each part, but that is very time consuming. I feel your pain about your loss of a good vehicle. Uninsured drivers should not be on the road!!

There should be a law providing for a way to sue the owner of the car that was driven by an uninsured person who was in the accident. And there should also be a law abiding the insurance companies to cover the accidents by uninsured motorists in stolen vehicles.

Bikeman982

There should be a law providing for a way to sue the owner of the car that was driven by an uninsured person who was in the accident. And there should also be a law abiding the insurance companies to cover the accidents by uninsured motorists in stolen vehicles.

That's pretty idealistic thinking. That would be great for people that needed it. The question I have is - Who would pay for the coverage?? Don't raise my insurance bill to do it, just because someone else has no coverage - I do not want to pay it for them. I say better to provide more enforcement and keep uninsured off the road. Make a big fine for those convicted and that could help pay it?

• 1,424 posts

There is a law that allows you to sue someone who hits you and isn't insured. The problem is that you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Think about it, if someone can't afford insurance, then they can't afford to pay to get your car fixed if so ordered by a court of law. Also, if you are so concerned about getting hit by an uninsured motorist or underinsured (someone who doesn't have enough coverage fo fix your car) motorist, then buy uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your policy. It is cheap and it keeps you from getting screwed when some irresponsible person without insurace hits you. That is the only way to protect yourself, because the state doesn't effectively keep uninsured motorists from driving.

Bikeman982

There is a law that allows you to sue someone who hits you and isn't insured. The problem is that you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Think about it, if someone can't afford insurance, then they can't afford to pay to get your car fixed if so ordered by a court of law. Also, if you are so concerned about getting hit by an uninsured motorist or underinsured (someone who doesn't have enough coverage fo fix your car) motorist, then buy uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your policy. It is cheap and it keeps you from getting screwed when some irresponsible person without insurace hits you. That is the only way to protect yourself, because the state doesn't effectively keep uninsured motorists from driving.

Good point. It is almost impossible to prevent all uninsured or underinsured motorists from getting on the road. More coverage on your policy is in effect paying the insurance for them. It is a system that stinks, but it works. How much is the premium?

• 1,424 posts

It is one of the cheapest parts of the insurance premium, it is about half to one-third of the comprehensive portion of the premium. It is worth it, because one accident with an uninsured motorist will cost you what it costs for 8 or 9 years of the insurance.

Bikeman982

It is one of the cheapest parts of the insurance premium, it is about half to one-third of the comprehensive portion of the premium. It is worth it, because one accident with an uninsured motorist will cost you what it costs for 8 or 9 years of the insurance.
I wonder how many people actually have that coverage?

• 1,424 posts

I wonder how many people actually have that coverage?

I don't know. My entire family has it though.

Guest Caffinated

In the state of Florida, you are required to have at least minimum auto insurance coverage to own a vehicle. Since it seems as though you have a police report, it's too bad you're not in Florida. I do feel your pain, my brother was on the recieving end of a bad hit-and-run not too long ago. Police never caught the guy.

Bikeman982

In the state of Florida, you are required to have at least minimum auto insurance coverage to own a vehicle. Since it seems as though you have a police report, it's too bad you're not in Florida. I do feel your pain, my brother was on the recieving end of a bad hit-and-run not too long ago. Police never caught the guy.
Does that mean that there are no uninsured motorists driving vehicles in Florida?? I doubt you could say that there are none. There are people in every state that drive cars without insurance and without a driver's license. If they hit you and can get away with leaving, they will probably do it.

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm