Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Le Horn Replacement

by listoff, March 6, 2006

Hello, I live in Maryland, just outside Baltimore City. Horn use is essential. My 2003 has a dinky and quiet horn. I can't even be sure anyone hears it when I beep at them.

Has anyone replaced a horn before? I've never done it. Is it easy? Is it expensive? Can anyone suggest any louder more American sounding horns? I looked on JC Whitney's web site and it looks relatively simple, but I wanted to ask first. I want people to jump when they hear it, without going for an air horn. :-)

Thanks!

Mike

now_driving_VW

www.rallylights.com

Get some Hella horns. I love my Hella Supertones.... I look forward for valid excuse to use my horn on someone

Bikeman982

You can look where your horn is located and just take it off and replace it with another, louder horn. You can also wire in a totally separate, much louder horn as well. I don't have any experience with Hella horns, but just the name is scary enough to send people out of your way!!

I removed my stock horn the week I bought my car and replaced it with 2 Freeway Blasters by Fiamm. The wiring diagram is easy to follow and mounting them was a cinch. Just make sure you bend the bracket so the horn doesn't fill up with water. Of the two I bought, one is Low Tone and the other High Tone. They are twice as loud as their regular horns at 110 db compared to 107 db.

Ok - so, I guess I'll go with a replacement. Looks easy enough, it's located just behind my grill. Can anyone confirm that the stock horn is 107 db? I found one on JC Whitney that's 130db and a deep tone for $14. Shame it's not a 2 horn system, it would be great to do a low and high at the same time.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Mike

Ok - so, I guess I'll go with a replacement. Looks easy enough, it's located just behind my grill. Can anyone confirm that the stock horn is 107 db? I found one on JC Whitney that's 130db and a deep tone for $14. Shame it's not a 2 horn system, it would be great to do a low and high at the same time.

You can do both a low and high easily as I mentioned earlier. I doubt the original Corolla horn was 107db, but that's what the lower model of the Fiamm (AM80) puts out as opposed to the Freeway Blaster. That would make the 130 db 256 times as loud....ouch.

I would like to get a different horn myself, but I know it's hook up to my alarm system somehow...and would it interfere w/airbag??

It's never good when you can't scare animals away w/your horn...

You can do both a low and high easily as I mentioned earlier. I doubt the original Corolla horn was 107db, but that's what the lower model of the Fiamm (AM80) puts out as opposed to the Freeway Blaster. That would make the 130 db 256 times as loud....ouch.

Muzak, I found the ones you're talking about. I understand what you mean now! That's cool. I would like to get this setup... HORN PARTS I see the two horns and the relay I will need. Did you also get the $8 horn installation kit? Doesn't seem necessary since I'm replacing the existing horn and not adding it as a seperate system, but since you have already installed it, I thought I would ask. Thanks!

Bikeman982

I removed my stock horn the week I bought my car and replaced it with 2 Freeway Blasters by Fiamm. The wiring diagram is easy to follow and mounting them was a cinch. Just make sure you bend the bracket so the horn doesn't fill up with water. Of the two I bought, one is Low Tone and the other High Tone. They are twice as loud as their regular horns at 110 db compared to 107 db.

Does it have a separate horn button? Can it be wired into the regular horn wiring that honks when you press the steering wheel horn??

That's not the same horn that I bought here in Canada. Mine were about $30.00 each CDN and are made by Fiamm (www.fiamm.com). Each horn came with everything you need and you can hook it up with the existing connection. The only thing you need is about 3 feet of extra wire to join the two horns together if you go that route.

Does it have a separate horn button? Can it be wired into the regular horn wiring that honks when you press the steering wheel horn??
It will work with the regular button on the steering wheel with no problem. But, if you needed to, you could buy an additional button to mount somewhere just incase you need a seperate system hooked up in addition to the stock horn. But, yeah, you can hook it up to your steering wheel button and work just fine. Just replace only the horn itself...

Bikeman982

It will work with the regular button on the steering wheel with no problem. But, if you needed to, you could buy an additional button to mount somewhere just incase you need a seperate system hooked up in addition to the stock horn. But, yeah, you can hook it up to your steering wheel button and work just fine. Just replace only the horn itself...

That's probably where I would connect it to, since the only time I really use the horn is sort of emergencies when something jumps out in front of me (like stupid drivers in other cars). I naturally reach for the horn on the steering wheel to sound the horn.

I once had a van that I put air horns mounted outside on the roof. I had a compressor that took air from the engine and fed it to an old 5 gallon propane size tank that I had behind the driver's seat. I had a chain that I pulled overhead. When I got on the horn (pulled the chain down) the other drivers could get a taste of my air horn noise for a long time. It certainly got their attention!!

:beep: :beep:

That is exactly the sound the stock horn makes. Almost like a clown car...,but if you press hard enough, I suppose you could get the job done, but it'd never be heard over a semi...or someone w/a loud muffler

Bikeman982

:beep: :beep:

Sounds like the roadrunner....beep...beep.

If you want a cheaper option, try going to a junkyard and getting a set of horns off an old full-size car or a pickup--could probably get a pair for $10 or less. I have a feeling those would be a bit louder and more "authoritative" than the stock horn. But the aftermarket options are probably also very good, and probably louder as well.

-Dave

Bikeman982

If you want a cheaper option, try going to a junkyard and getting a set of horns off an old full-size car or a pickup--could probably get a pair for $10 or less. I have a feeling those would be a bit louder and more "authoritative" than the stock horn. But the aftermarket options are probably also very good, and probably louder as well.

-Dave

Good point. Just make a note of the type of car that has a horn sound that you like and then go to the junkyard and get one from the same type car. I think most horns are mounted the same (I could be wrong) and you should be able to do a one-for-one swap-out.

-Dave

Good point. Just make a note of the type of car that has a horn sound that you like and then go to the junkyard and get one from the same type car. I think most horns are mounted the same (I could be wrong) and you should be able to do a one-for-one swap-out.

Some horns are single wire (horn itself provides ground). Others are two wire (hot and ground).

Bikeman982

-Dave

Some horns are single wire (horn itself provides ground). Others are two wire (hot and ground).

Either horn type would work on the Corolla.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)