Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Engine - Transmission Compatability

By Bikeman982, February 19, 2006 in Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering

Bikeman982

I pulled out my 1.6L engine (without the transmission) from my 1994 Corolla and then went to install a 1.8L engine and it did not mate up (as far as I could tell) to the transmission. Is there a different transmission for the 1.6L than for the 1.8L engines? I spent all day Saturday trying to make it mate up and it seemed like there was too much space between engine and transmission. The bolts would not reach thru. Is there a different tranny? It almost seemed like the torque converter was too thick, otherwise it would have been fine. I was hoping for a simple engine swap, and it turned out not to be simple at all. Should I pull out the 1.8L and put in another 1.6L or change the transmission (if it is a different one for the 1.8L)? Someone suggested I pull both engine and transmission out and then mate them up prior to re-installing them - will that work?? Anyone have any experience here??

I don't think there are any 1.8 4A-FE's. You must have mixed the 7A-FE up with the 4A-FE. Unless I am wrong . . . The 7A-FE uses the C52 Transmission where as the 4A-FE uses the C50.

The engine in the AE102 is either the 1.6L 4A-FE or the 1.8L 7A-FE (which I concentrate on)

http://www.corollaperformance.com/TechInfo/Index.html

If you could get your hands on a C52 5 SPD manual transmission that would be ideal for unleashing all the power that the 1.8L has to offer.

Bikeman982

I know the 1.6L is a 4A-FE and the 1.8L is the 7A-FE engine, but I didn't know they used different transmissions. What is the difference? Would it be possible to use the C50 transmission with the 7A-FE engine?

I am not even sure if there are any automatic transmissions for the 1.8L 7A-FE. . . or they might be rare. I'd say suck it up and put a 5 SPD manual transmission in there. It would be fun to learn manual.

A 7A-FE with a manual is the ideal setup.

Do some research on google. See if a C50 would fit with a 7A-FE.

Best of luck man!

That is weird with the tranny fitment. Slugger's right on the manual tranny C50 was replaced with the heavier/beefier C52 - good choice if you are swapping to a manual.

Automatics from the 7th generation were either the A131 (3-speed) or the A245 (4-speed). Those are interchangeable throughout the 7th gen model years. Where they start to differ is from where the donor engine came out of - MR2 for example - starter boss (bump) is on the other side. Or tranmissions / engines from different markets (JDM sources). I know that the 7th generation Corolla tranny will even bolt up to a 1ZZFE engine with a little modification to the bellhousing.

There might be differences with the thickness of the torque converter - but I'm not 100% sure on that - have to double check part numbers to be sure.

I pulled out my 1.6L engine (without the transmission) from my 1994 Corolla and then went to install a 1.8L engine and it did not mate up (as far as I could tell) to the transmission. Is there a different transmission for the 1.6L than for the 1.8L engines? I spent all day Saturday trying to make it mate up and it seemed like there was too much space between engine and transmission. The bolts would not reach thru. Is there a different tranny? It almost seemed like the torque converter was too thick, otherwise it would have been fine. I was hoping for a simple engine swap, and it turned out not to be simple at all. Should I pull out the 1.8L and put in another 1.6L or change the transmission (if it is a different one for the 1.8L)? Someone suggested I pull both engine and transmission out and then mate them up prior to re-installing them - will that work?? Anyone have any experience here??

Couple of thoughts:

Make sure flex plates are the same offset/spacing.

Torque converter may have pulled out of the pump drive notches and will not slide back in. If this is the case it may have damaged the front transmission seal.

Bikeman982

I know that there are 1.8L 7A-FE automatics because I am driving one. I don't plan on converting it to a manual.

It is possible that the torque converter has pulled out of the pump drive notches (I didn't know that it was supposed to be in them - I did not see any inside the transmission, even though the torque converter did have notches). Everything else seemed to line up between engine and transmission. It was as if just the thickness of the torque converter was causing it not to mate correctly. I plan on re-trying the installation again once I get time and an engine hoist. Anyone have any recommendations on a good engine hoist? I heard that Kragen sells one for about $150.00. I think I may be getting better and more knowlegeable about engine changes (especially on the Corolla- thru trial and error) and would like to purchase my own, rather than relying on a rental or borrowed one.

That is weird with the tranny fitment. Slugger's right on the manual tranny C50 was replaced with the heavier/beefier C52 - good choice if you are swapping to a manual.

... I know that the 7th generation Corolla tranny will even bolt up to a 1ZZFE engine with a little modification to the bellhousing.

What about compatibility between 1ZZFE and C50/C52/C56/C59 manual trannies? I saw a 01 Corolla with a C59 tranny during my earlier dream car hunt. Do I absolutely have to change the engine and cruise ECUs (I want to keep cruise) to make a manual conversion work. (Yes, I'm talking about my car again.)

A245E-HD2

Toyota Corolla 1993-2002, GEO Prizm 1993-2001

Corrects: Soft 1-2; long 2-3 at heavy throttle. Firmer 4th & lockup. for High Performance, Nitrous or Turbo Charging

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=8035258491

what exactly is in one of these kits? how hard is it to install?

Bikeman982

Couple of thoughts:

Make sure flex plates are the same offset/spacing.

Torque converter may have pulled out of the pump drive notches and will not slide back in. If this is the case it may have damaged the front transmission seal.

After pulling the engine out again and looking at the torque converter and the transmission I see that although the converter has grooves on it, there are none for it to match up with in the transmission. There is splines on the shaft and that is not hard to just slide the converter over. A thinner torque converter would work, but I don't know if their is one available.

I think that the 1.6L 4A-FE engine must have used the 3-speed transmission (A131) while the 1.8L 7A-FE used the 4-speed transmission (A425). I wonder what the difference is and if they are the only combinations (just talking automatics)?

A245E-HD2Toyota Corolla 1993-2002, GEO Prizm 1993-2001

Corrects: Soft 1-2; long 2-3 at heavy throttle. Firmer 4th & lockup. for High Performance, Nitrous or Turbo Charging

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=8035258491

what exactly is in one of these kits? how hard is it to install?

From the look of it, looks like a bunch of internal tweaks that go into the tranny - think transmission rebuild kit. It's going to be an ugly undertaking IMO.

actually i asked the guy and his reply was.

Hello,

These kits have a few different spings, drill bits, & other micsellaneous parts that go in the valve body. This comes with 11 pages of instructions to make all of the modifications. All changes are just inside the pan, so it doesn't need to be out.

Thanks,

Brian

it sounds like i drop the valve body from the trans and modify how much fluid and how fast and how fast the valves close. i dunno...its tempting but i'd wana have spare parts onhand to swap in. i think i'll hunt local junkyards for a spare vavle body or a trans i can drop parts from if i decide to try this.

Bikeman982

What does it give you -smoother shifting, more power to the wheels, better gas mileage? What's the benefit of putting it in and is it worth it? I imagine that if you don't have to drop the tranny that you take off the bottom pan and then replace things from that opening. I have seen the manuals that tell how to do some internal transmission work. I personally limit myself to basic fluid, filter and gasket changes. I don't have turbo or supercharge, so a suped-up tranny won't be a significant gain for me. Let us know what you decide.

the valve body is accessible from the pan once the filter is removed. i need to drop the pan and clean the filter anyways....

the description of what it does is on the ebay page.

your trans problem is most likely because the 4afe uses a 3psd auto and the 7afe uses a 4spd auto. you'll need a 4spd auto for the 7afe.

Bikeman982

the valve body is accessible from the pan once the filter is removed. i need to drop the pan and clean the filter anyways....

the description of what it does is on the ebay page.

your trans problem is most likely because the 4afe uses a 3psd auto and the 7afe uses a 4spd auto. you'll need a 4spd auto for the 7afe.

I am currently looking for a 4-speed transmission for my 1.8L 7A-FE engine. If you know any parts cars or places to get one fairly cheap, let me know. My son's future car is sitting in the garage with no engine until I find a suitable tranny. A245E

you tried the junk yards or calling local trans rebuilding shops? not aamco type places but the place that shops send out the cores to to be rebuilt.

Bikeman982

you tried the junk yards or calling local trans rebuilding shops? not aamco type places but the place that shops send out the cores to to be rebuilt.
There is nothing wrong with the transmission except that it is not the correct one for the engine I am putting in the car. I am replacing a 1.6L 4A-FE engine with the slightly larger 1.8L 7A-FE engine. They use different transmissions. The original engine had 230,000 miles on it before a careless previous owner seized it while driving. I have already removed it from the car in my garage and am looking at getting another transmission. I have the other engine already and will probably bolt them together prior to installation. Thanks for the concern about the transmission.

i'd say having the wrong transmission is something majorly wrong lol.

if you're looking for a trans for it, calling you pull it type junkyards is your best bet. sometimes they already have parts like trans's out of the cars and ready to go. since the rest of the car has 230K miles on it a used trans with 120K miles wouldnt be so bad.

Bikeman982

i'd say having the wrong transmission is something majorly wrong lol.

if you're looking for a trans for it, calling you pull it type junkyards is your best bet. sometimes they already have parts like trans's out of the cars and ready to go. since the rest of the car has 230K miles on it a used trans with 120K miles wouldnt be so bad.

No, the transmission is right for the car and the old engine, just not right for the new engine.

I think I can get it cheaper by pulling it at the junkyard myself. It also helps me to learn just how it will go back together. That's a good hands-on learning technique.

Guest Andres X

I have a stock 7afe will the transmission work with a 1zzfe?

Topic List: Go to Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering