Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest Jean-Michel

I just bought a TRD Supercharger for my 05 Corolla S and I was wandering if the DC sports headers would fit with it or it's like a turbocharger where you have ''special'' turbo manifold ?

I already have a Cold Air Intake installed in my car (Injen) would it work fine with the supercharger ?

Where can I find performance fuel injector. I've heard about Greddy E-manager, what's this ??

Finally exhaust system...is it better to by a bolt-on cat-back or get an custom made stainless steel exhaust line with an high flow catalitic converter.

tango741@westman.wave.ca for any answer, comments or suggestions.

thank you

Did you just say you have a "2005 corolla"? FYI, TRD supercharger only works for 2003-2004 corolla's. 2005-2006 corollas have Drive by wire throttle bodies and therefore your supercharger will not work unless you can get a modified throttle body and a special ecu programmed for your dbw system. Also there's one supercharged 2005 corolla in North America and that's in my home town in Winnipeg. A local newspaper built the first blown 05' corolla for auction for the childrens charity.

Off topic, are you based in Canada? Where did you get your supercharger and how much...I too have 2003 corolla (customized with TRD parts) except the TRD supercharger.

It sounds like you have no clue what you are doing or even asking. Why did you order a bunch of parts?

Unless a brand new SCer is out for the 05, your SCer isn't a direct bolt on. From what I understand, the SCer kit comes with a extra injector and a piggy back ECU program to run everything. You will need to run premium fuel. I don't know what greddy e-manage is, but you don't need it and I wouldn't recomend it if you don't know what it is or what it does.

A turbo and SCer are nothing a like and a SCer has nothing to do with your exhaust manifold.

More reading, less ordering parts. Geez.

Bikeman982

I don't have a new Corolla but even if I did I don't think I would put a turbo supercharger on it. I would probably kill myself trying to drive it on the public roads with all the bad traffic problems we get. Are we getting into high performance Corollas?

They did make limited runs of a twin charged system (both turbo and supercharger on the engine - S/C for low RPMs and turbo for high RPMs). Didn't make it mainstream since you could get better gains from either a plain S/C or plain Turbo - tuning was also something that was left to be desired.

Bikeman982

I think proper tuning for a stock car is difficult enough, never mind changing it to turbo or supercharging it. No wonder they had problems.

I don't have a new Corolla but even if I did I don't think I would put a turbo supercharger on it. I would probably kill myself trying to drive it on the public roads with all the bad traffic problems we get. Are we getting into high performance Corollas?

Are you kidding? A TRD SCer wouldn't make it that fast. A V6 Camery would still probably be faster. I was interested for awhile, but I think I just want to keep everything economy like. Also, you can't really get LSD up front without ordering a JDM part with no warranty, then you gotta find a trusty shop, and it would cost way too much money.

The bottom line is, a Corolla is not a great plateform for a performance car.

Bikeman982

Are you kidding? A TRD SCer wouldn't make it that fast. A V6 Camery would still probably be faster. I was interested for awhile, but I think I just want to keep everything economy like. Also, you can't really get LSD up front without ordering a JDM part with no warranty, then you gotta find a trusty shop, and it would cost way too much money.

The bottom line is, a Corolla is not a great plateform for a performance car.

That's my argument exactly. I think the Corolla was intended as a reliable transportation and not meant to be "Suped up". I have seen them with body kits and some fancy engines, but that is not for me with my budget.

I didn't understand the part how you would kill yourself. You made it sound like you would be afraid of the mad powah of the TRD SCer. I would just be afraid of loosing all my fuel economy.

To answer this person questions as some others might find this useful.

If I read your post correctly - hopefully you have not purchased the TRD S/C unit yet or do not have a 2005+ Corolla. Like they mentioned above, it was never designed for the DBW (Drive By Wire) system on the 2005 and 2006 Corolla - only fitment are on the 2003 and 2004 Corollas. There were also ECM syncing issues as well. So an aftermarket ECM (stand alone or piggyback type are required). TRD was supposed to release one for the 2005+ Corollas, but nothing has happened yet - I believe they were working on getting the one for hte Scion tC out in time.

Anyway - if you do manage to get it to fit - the TRD S/C actually sits on the cylinder head. Your intake (the four plastic runners from the throttle body to the cylinder head) is removed and the S/C bolted into its place. You don't have to mess with the exhaust manifold at all for fitment. But you can get a high flow exhaust system (header, high flow cat, mandrel bends, bigger tubing, high flow muffler, etc.) But the TRD S/C was designed for the stock exhaust system - unless your modding the supercharger, you don't need to spend the extra money on the exhaust right away.

TRD does not recommend running any aftermarket intake, especially CAI (Cold Air Intakes), while running the S/C. More for warrantee reasons (possible engine damage). The reason is that there is a chance of hydrolocking the engine and S/C if the filter end gets immersing in water. Also they worry about excessive amounts of debris that may get past the high flow filters on aftermarket intakes may damage the bearings inside the S/C case body.

Can you do it anyway - sure. You need to make sure that you are able to do it first with the correct parts - namely fuel computer, injectors, tune, and cooling.

You have to run something like an E-Manage. Basically it is a "piggyback" programmable fuel management unit that intercepts signals to and from the original ECM - you have to load "fuel and timing maps" to get it work correctly - generally have to take it into a tuning shop to do that, or do it yourself with a computer and a wideband O2 sensor (good thing to have) and turn it while driving (not recommended) with some street tuned base maps avaialbe online at different forums. Also premium fuel is a must, water or alcohol injection is highly recommended (a must if you run an aftermarket intake). Since there is no intercooler for the TRD S/C - you have to run a misting system to bring down the intake temps. Will go a long way to reducing detonation. Injector choices and sparkplugs are very important - too big or too small of an injector and you run into a tuning nightmare. RC Engineering and Power Enterprises are two companies that people like to talk about for injectors - make sure you size them correctly to your application and make sure the impedance is correct. Otherwise you'll have to run a resistor box and run into its own little issues. You have to make sure that the plugs can run with boost (need colder plugs - about two heat ranges cooler, minimum one heat range cooler). Don't use fancy platinum plugs (read Bosch +4) or Iridiums for that matter - plain copper plugs first - then once it gets tuned, plain platinum or Iridium plugs (not the fine wire ones). You also have to close up the gap a few throusands (From 0.044 inch to 0.035 is a good start). Fuel pump has to be up to the task - upgraded fuel pump (Walboro or similar) is a must. If you lean out when the boost is up - the engine will go soon after.

Do you need a upgraded fuel pump? I thought the TRD was a direct bolt on system and with the install kit, has everything needed to do the job. The TRD setup is a very low boost aplication. Unless you change the SCer pully and go out of spec of the TRD design, it was made for the stock fuel pump. I'd run 93 pump for sure tho. I was reading up on what came with the kit and it looks like it also comes with a extra fuel injector. I think it's sprays direcly in the intake stream turning the intake manifold in to a wet intake.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that a SCer and a SRI or CAI does mix well because it throws off the maf and leans out the car too much. You pretty much just want to run a drop in TRD filter in the stock box. If you already bought a intake, send it back unopened. You will probably void your warranty with it as the TRD intruction make it pretty clear not to run a CAI. You probably will anyway since Toyota hasn't aproved a SCer for 05+ Corolla's.

A Canadian company did fit a TRD SCer on a 05. Google and see if you can find it. You will probably have to contact them for the extra parts you need. Toyota was suppost to have a kit for 05, but I think they might have backed out. They are making kits for the Scions now, but not Toyotas.

As far as a exhaust goes, I'd leave the header alone and just do a cat back. You have a new car and your pre cat part of the exhaust has a pretty long warranty due to emission laws. I think it's 7 years 70K miles in all 50 states now. Car makers use stainless steel for the part they need to warranty now, and then use steel for the cat back. With forced induction, you would not loose any low end torque with a cat back exahust. You would probably acually gain. You gotta be very carefull doing exhaust work on a NA car, but it's a sure bet with forced induction.

Do you need a upgraded fuel pump? I thought the TRD was a direct bolt on system and with the install kit, has everything needed to do the job. The TRD setup is a very low boost aplication. Unless you change the SCer pully and go out of spec of the TRD design, it was made for the stock fuel pump. I'd run 93 pump for sure tho.
It will work with OEM pump - but many that have run the S/C for a while have reported fuel supply issues with the current setup. You don't see it unless you add a fuel pressure gauge - TRD S/C was spec'd to run at 53PSI minimum, but some were only able to sustain 50PSI at WOT. TRD fuel managment unit call in the extra fuel flow at boost levels around 4-5 PSI. Many have gotten it to lean out at the upper RPMs - but found that they are still safe if they don't stay too long up there. Not much of a cushion for me - I'd go with larger pump to stay safe - get something to clog up the strainer and you'll be in deep doodoo.

what scares me is this, i read somewhere else on this site that the injectors are at a 90% duty cycle at redline with out any modifications. now adding more air, i cant imagine how bad this could be for the injectors. i really think to make this work right a emanage and some slightly larger injectors along with a higher volume fuel pump would be a necessary upgrade to ensure a margin of saftey.

That's a lot of fuel pressue. They must have really small injectors. On my other car, my base fuel pressure is 37 and it raises 1:1 with every psi. So at 11psi boost, I'm running around 48psi fuel. I have larger injectors, but that's still a LOT of fuel pressure for 5psi.

Good points - Bitter and gvr4ever - that's probably why these injectors are prone to just die on you. The stock ones on the 1ZZ-FE supposed to flow 240-292 CCM@44 PSI. The ones on my XRS flow something like 308-376CCM@44 PSI.

Jean-Michel, you might just want to get a old 1G DSM if you want a fast car. I once got one for 1200 for a turbo one. It acually ran too default_smile After fixing it up with acually mostly, replacment parts. Timming belt, water pump, brakes, suspention, and a few fast parts, I spent about $3500 for everything including the car. I got a lot of miles out of it too before I traded it in.

If you want speed, keep your economy reliable car with a new warranty as is, and then buy a old sports car to work on.

Your plans for your 05 would ruin your warranty in a heart beat. You simple can't put forced induction on a car and since Toyota hasn't aproved a SCer, they could pretty much void ALL your warranty.

If you shopped right, you could get a fast car to play with on the weekend and it wouldn't really cost you any more then tring to mod a brand new car with what you were wanting to do.

You could play with a old DSM, 5.0 Mustang, or whatever. Just get something that acually has a solid platform for being fast. Just wait for the right deal. I know a guy go got a perfecly good 94 Cobra for $3500!!!!!!! I had to ask like 10 times because I was in shock. The thing barly had over 100K miles, the paint looked new, the seats where in great shape. I drove it and NOTHING was wrong with it. They are still worth in the 8K range and that's on the low side. I've seen people who have just been at the right place at the right time and got a KILLER deal. I've yet to hit the jackpot myself, but I'm still working on it.

an older fox body mustang LX is a great performer for a low low price. its not hard to swap a cobra engine into one to make a nice beast.

Bikeman982

I didn't understand the part how you would kill yourself. You made it sound like you would be afraid of the mad powah of the TRD SCer. I would just be afraid of loosing all my fuel economy.
What I meant was that with some of the bad drivers in my area I tend to get the road rage thing going and when I get an opportunity to pass or get by them, I take it. It usually puts me in the position of excessive speed and close to reckless driving if I have to go in and out of trafic that is as slow as molasses for no particular reason. I tend to take some risks occassionally and with more power I would likely do it more frequently. I think power is meant for a racetrack and on a public road it is best to be conservative for safety sake. The fuel economy is also an issue. I appreciate my car for being able to pass by a gas station when other cars are pulling in due to their worse fuel economy.

Topic List