Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Manufacture Date Vs. Year On Title?

by ycr99, February 4, 2006

I've been thinking about this ever since I saw the date on the side of the door opening. The sticker on there says 10/98..,but the title to the car says 1999.

Which is it?? Carfax says 1999...

but then, what does the sticker on the inside door reflect??

Max

Door sticker is build date. Title is model year. My 03 model year Corolla was built in Feb. 02.

Oh thanks Max!

I was worried, the dealer pulled a fast one on me...

He's an independent dealer...so small that he only had 4 cars on his lot...and there was my Corolla...

Bikeman982

Oh thanks Max!

I was worried, the dealer pulled a fast one on me...

He's an independent dealer...so small that he only had 4 cars on his lot...and there was my Corolla...

Not a lot of selection there, was there? Good choice with the Corolla.

Yes, that can definitely get confusing. It can take several months for car to get from the factory to the showroom. Manufacturers also regularly release the next years model in the summer of the previous year. It really stupid and has everything to do with sales and marketing tactics. I beleive it's possible for example to have a '06 that was physically produced in December '04 and in the showroom in July of '05. This is rare however because of taxes, inventory costs and so forth. I think also the fiscal year may end in July for automakers. I'm not a tax lawyer or accountant... so I'll stop there.

I think it started sometiems aroudn the 1950's as the Big Three kept trying to 1-up the other each Fall as new models were released. They kept releasign the cars earlier and earlier trying ro boost 4th quarter sales.

Max

As I mentioned, my 03 Corolla was built in Feb 02. What I didn't say is that I bought it in March 02, so it came from Canada to Kentucky pretty quickly. I think if you see car with a build date that's a few months old, it's been sitting on the lot for most of those months. The Camry plant here sends those cars out on a truck the instant they are completed. I think you are very right, Cherry, about marketing. That my 03 was in my garage in March 02 is, well, ridiculous.

if the car was bulit MAY 1992, title and car fax is going to say 1992 TOYOTA etc.

if the car was built JUNEand > e.g. JUNE 1992 or JULY 1992 title and car fax and all are going to say 1993!!

you have to watch that really carefully and when you buy a car always look at the plaque attached on the frame of the drivers door.

hope this clears up default_wink

vwgolfist: Thanks. I will keep that in mind when I buy the 06 Corolla in 5~7 years.

I want to work the heck outta this 99 first...it still has the "new car" smell.

Bikeman982

It's all a big marketing scheme. They redesign cars and build them months before they get sold as new vehicles. Some have been transported around the world and some are built in the same state.

Max

Toyota's North American manufacturing model is to build the cars and get them out of the factory immediately. They are also well-known for getting parts to factories only when needed, almost at the last minute, a system called "just in time." Nothing at a Toyota factory sits around for long periods- parts or cars. (see more at TMMK's website). As I said, my own Corolla was built in Canada 2/02 and was in my driveway less than a month later.

Mine was bought used on that independent dealer's lot of 4 cars.

It too was built in Canada. I don't know much about its history.

Bikeman982

Toyota's North American manufacturing model is to build the cars and get them out of the factory immediately. They are also well-known for getting parts to factories only when needed, almost at the last minute, a system called "just in time." Nothing at a Toyota factory sits around for long periods- parts or cars. (see more at TMMK's website). As I said, my own Corolla was built in Canada 2/02 and was in my driveway less than a month later.

What does that say about the date stamped on its label and also the year they are calling the car? Are they all the same? Seems like it may have been built in '02, but that is 12 months long. If you had yours only a month later does that mean your car is considered a 2003 and it was built in Dec 2002, or was it considered a 2003 even though it could have been built at the end of 2002 during any of the last months??

Max

Bikeman, there is no "seeming" anything here. My car Really was built in February 2002. I Really bought it in March of 2002. It Really is a 2003 model. The 2007 Camrys that will be in showrooms next month, obviously, are being built right now - in Feb 2006. I agree that it's bizarre to put cars in showrooms with model years that are pretty much a year ahead of their build date, but please don't think that I don't know the history of a car I bought brand new.

Bikeman982

Bikeman, there is no "seeming" anything here. My car Really was built in February 2002. I Really bought it in March of 2002. It Really is a 2003 model. The 2007 Camrys that will be in showrooms next month, obviously, are being built right now - in Feb 2006. I agree that it's bizarre to put cars in showrooms with model years that are pretty much a year ahead of their build date, but please don't think that I don't know the history of a car I bought brand new.
That is certainly a long lead time for people. It is almost (maybe it is) deceiving. If you have a 2003 and it was built in January 2002, then why don't they call it a 2002, the year it was made?? I always thought the showroom cars were buiilt ahead of time so that dealers could take orders for more of them to be built - kind of as a display model. Not to say that it is wrong but I think the best time (price-wise) is to buy a car when it is at the end of the model year. I purchased a motorcycle and got a good deal on it due to the fact that it was at the end of the model year and the newer ones were just coming out.

I was told the best time to buy a car is at the end of February...

So, then the best time to buy a new car for the current corolla would be in Dec of 06?

• 1,424 posts

That is certainly a long lead time for people. It is almost (maybe it is) deceiving. If you have a 2003 and it was built in January 2002, then why don't they call it a 2002, the year it was made?? I always thought the showroom cars were buiilt ahead of time so that dealers could take orders for more of them to be built - kind of as a display model. Not to say that it is wrong but I think the best time (price-wise) is to buy a car when it is at the end of the model year. I purchased a motorcycle and got a good deal on it due to the fact that it was at the end of the model year and the newer ones were just coming out.

Model years for newly redesigned cars go by the next full year after the first redesigned model rolls off of the assembly line, not year built. This is only true for newly redesigned models. Otherwise, they use the >June Rule. Since the Corolla Max bought was the redesigned 9th gen body style, his car was a 2003, regardless of when in 2002 it was built. The New Camrys are the same way. Since the redesign didn't roll out before Jan 1st of '06, the cars will all carry an '07 model year designation.

Max

ycr- There are many "good" times to buy a car. The end of any month is one, dead of winter another, and as Bikeman says, end of model year, especially right before a major redesign, is best. So, if someone wanted to buy a new 9th gen Corolla at a great price, he or she would get one of the last ones on the lot as the 10th gens roll in.

Bikeman982

ycr- There are many "good" times to buy a car. The end of any month is one, dead of winter another, and as Bikeman says, end of model year, especially right before a major redesign, is best. So, if someone wanted to buy a new 9th gen Corolla at a great price, he or she would get one of the last ones on the lot as the 10th gens roll in.
Definitely a significant difference in price and the dealers are more willing to negotiate. I am not sure what happens to new cars once the next years models come out but I bet the dealers would rather sell cheaper than have them around.

• 1,424 posts

Definitely a significant difference in price and the dealers are more willing to negotiate. I am not sure what happens to new cars once the next years models come out but I bet the dealers would rather sell cheaper than have them around.

When new model year cars come out, like the '07 Camry, the '06 Camrys can be had at a great deal. However, this is only if you buy. If you lease, you want to wait until the next model year comes out if you are considering leasing close to a model year change. This is because the residual value on the newest model will be better and therefore you will be paying for less of a percentage of the car. If you were to lease a 2004 Corolla that was left over after the 2005 models came out, you might be paying as much for a 2004 Corolla as a Camry costs.

Bikeman982

When new model year cars come out, like the '07 Camry, the '06 Camrys can be had at a great deal. However, this is only if you buy. If you lease, you want to wait until the next model year comes out if you are considering leasing close to a model year change. This is because the residual value on the newest model will be better and therefore you will be paying for less of a percentage of the car. If you were to lease a 2004 Corolla that was left over after the 2005 models came out, you might be paying as much for a 2004 Corolla as a Camry costs.

That's good information about leasing. I have never leased a car before but I know there are final fees and balloon charges that apply. Also if you are able to purchase the car there are additional charges as well.

• 1,424 posts

That's good information about leasing. I have never leased a car before but I know there are final fees and balloon charges that apply. Also if you are able to purchase the car there are additional charges as well.

There are some misconceptions about lease that I will clear up for people. First, there are two types of leases, and things places call leases that aren't.

The type of lease I have is a closed lease. When I signed on the dotted line, I was told how many miles I could drive, how long I would have the car, and how much I could buy it for at the end of the lease. This lease also made me responsible for only what I used as far as value. If Toyota can't resell the car after my lease for more than the car's original cost minus my payemts and downpayment, I'm not stuck paying the difference. These things can't change, they are a legal contract.

In an open ended lease (which you should avoid like the plague) You get the same restrictions on mileage and term, but you don't agree to a fixed value for buyout at the lease end. You are also responsible for the difference between what the dealer can sell the car for and what it was worth. (this is determined by taking what you paid for the car and subtracting your downpayment and all payments you made.) Suprise, Suprise, you always end up owing money.

Then there are these things that places like credit unions call "leases" They are really creative financing options. What you do is pay a lower payment on the car for three years or so, and then owe a balloon payment at the end. The problem with this is that the unless you have saved the money to pay the balloon payment you have to get another loan and it takes seven years to pay off a car. Then it isn't worth enough to help you lower your payments on your next car.

All the best leases from top creditors like TMC, FMC, and GMAC are closed-end leases. If a dealer won't disclose to you the lease has a set term, mileage, buyout at end, and that you are not responsible for more than payments and maintenance, walk away. Walk away, fast. BTW, you are responsible for manufacturer recommended maintenance.

Also, as to fees. It isn't typical to have to pay a disposal fee on a lease, especially if you release another car. Most of the time you are required to make the first month's payment and a secutrity deposit as well as an aquisition fee. However, if you have good credit and bring in pristine cars time after time like my family does, they waive the security deposits, first month's payments and everything else put license plate and title fees. The only way you owe money on a closed end lease at the end is if you go over the mileage, or you do something that damages the vehicle, and I should note that this may include certain non-approved modifications to the vehicle. (this varies by creditor, and is stated in your contract.)

Now, there are provisions for normal wear and tear, you won't owe money for scratches under the door handles or anything. If you get minor scratches or parking lots dings, they don't care. They also don't care about tires being worn as long as they are legally safe to drive on. Winshield chips are ok, as long as they aren't over a certain size. Ford doesn't even care if you burn holes into the seats with cigarettes, as long as it isn't three or more in one seat. However, if you trash the car (according to your contract provisions) and it requires things to be replaced, they won't give you your security deposit back, and they will charge the difference between the security deposit and the repairs.

Topic List