Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005-6 Corolla Remote Start

By clarkemode, January 11, 2006

I was thinking of installing a remote start on my 2005 corolla. I had one on my 2002 corolla and it worked great. I know there is something in the key that enables me to start my car but how would I add a remote start? I believe I need some bypass for the ignition. Has anyone successfully added a remote start to their Corolla with this type of key? If so, what was needed to bypass the chip in the key?

Thanks

• 1,424 posts
I was thinking of installing a remote start on my 2005 corolla. I had one on my 2002 corolla and it worked great. I know there is something in the key that enables me to start my car but how would I add a remote start? I believe I need some bypass for the ignition. Has anyone successfully added a remote start to their Corolla with this type of key? If so, what was needed to bypass the chip in the key?

Thanks

I don't have one on my 2005 as it is leased, but I know that it can be added to chipped key cars. Any reputable car electronics shop should be able to hook you up with a remote starter that will bypass the anti-theft chip to remote start the car. However, there will be extra parts and labour costs involved.

Now, once you decide where to get it done, talk to them about how they will be bypassing the anti-theft. There are two easy ways to do this. One is to simply take apart your steering column and strap a spare key inside there. The other is to actually install a by-pass module that is programmed to your key codes. The later method is preferable, as it is infinately more secure.

I recommend a good independant shop, or a car electronics specialty chain for your install. Places like Best-Buy and Circuit City don't always do the best job, and are reluctant to correct the problems with their installs. I would also recommend DEI products. DEI products include: Viper, Python, Rattler, Hornet, Clifford, Valet and Avital remote starters, alarms, and keyless entries.

Haven't tried it with a Toyota - but on others with passive RF key systems, you need to get a remote start kit that can enable a transonder bypass. Basically it mimics the RF signal for the pickup loop, making the system think the key is there and allow remote starting.

Guest kidakat

I recently bought a 2005 LE. I'm considering adding a remote-start to the car as a gift for my wife. I'm curious about a couple of things with the "Transponder bypass" units. Apparently some of these units call for a "spare transponder key" to go inside the bypass enclosure unit (I guess this will reflect the correct RF signal). I'm wondering if this works like the famous "hide the key under the dash" trick.

On a side note, I'm wondering if I have one of these security bypass units installed, will I be able to use a non-transponder key to start my car? I had a non-transponder key cut that matches my normal keys (intended only as a door key). When the guy made my key, he warned me not to try starting my car with the "dumb key" because it could disable my car and cause ECU trouble because the ECU is looking for the "smart key." Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Prior to being told that the "dumb key" could break my ECU, I was planning on trying to start the car with the "dumb key" to see what happens, but now I'm paranoid. If you do have to leave a key under the dash, but don't feel secure about leaving a key in the car that will star the engine, I suppose you could destroy the key blade (so it's basically just a transponder chip under the dash). I like the prospect of being able to have keys made for under $5 like the old days instead of $100.

I'm all for security, but when I'm parking next to BMWs and Cadillacs, I don't worry about punks messing with my Corolla. I just don't feel that the transponder keys are necessary.

Thanks for any feedback you are willing to share!

Welcome to the forum. Not a 100% sure on the Corolla - but other transponder system will work with a "dumb" key if you have the original transponder close enough to transmit the appropriate signal. Some systems are strong enough that the pickup loop will register a key from under the dash - the old transponder key under the dash trick, that you mentioned. Some will only register the key when it is right next to the ignition switch - still a way around that - just install a debladed key in a inconspicuous housing near the ignition system, or hardwire one in.

As for the dumb key "breaking" the ECM - not really, but it will cause the ECM to go to a lockout mode. Generally be reset with the original transponder or via a timeout period. No "Bond" or "Mission Impossible" stuff here - the ECM will NOT blowup if you try and start it without the transponder.

Guest kidakat

Thanks for the feedback fishexpo101! I figured the warning I recieved was just the keymaker covering his behind. Anyway, I'll get my remote starter installed and then try out my traditional "dumb key" as my ignition key after I get the transponder key safely secured somewhere near the ignition.

I appreciate having a place like this to ask questions, I'll do my best to participate from time to time and answer somebody else's questions if I can.

thanks again!

Kidakat, do you install a remote start in the end? How did it turn out?

I am going to do it also for my 2005 Corolla LE. I've been quoted around $230 to do this...wonder if it sounds right.

Also, thanks Fishexpo101 for your input, as always.

Happy holidays!

$230 sounds about ballpark - depends on the kit you want them to install and if the car is originally chipped or not. Usually going rate is $200 base (roughly 3-5 hours of work) + $25-$50 for each unique feature (extra sensors, feature, etc.) Prices can easily sky-rocket - I've seen stealthed installs (no visible wiring or brain, hidden valet button, phony lead wires hidden in wiring bundle, etc.) Some installs can run from $750 to thousands easily.

Bottom line - make sure the place has installed in that model of Corolla before (fully qualified, can show you sample installs, etc). Even within the same generation, make of car - there could be a number of differences between model years that can complicate the installation.

Guest Chubby

Please , How, How do i turn off my remote start after starting it with a viper control outside the car..

Thanks 

• 110 posts

Might be good to check with Viper perhaps.

• 23 posts

Hello All,

I installed remote starter for my camry and corolla without any problem and this is four to five year ago. The brand I used is Autopage 2 way. 2 way confirm if your car start or not.

It is a good brand but technical support is only for installer. You can go with other brand such as Viper or Bulldog.

I did installed two Honda CRV with security and chip in key. I used Autopage 2 way and ADS data immobilizer bypass module. This is easy to use and cheaper than donate a program key under the steering column. A program key can cost around $200-$300. You need a computer to flash your bypass module. Good luck.

Monkey123

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)