Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Looking For The Radio Fuse In My 2005 S

Guest PaulB

I blew the fuse to the radio/clock/acc plug when my cell phone charger came apart and fell into the plug. No fuse under the hood seems blown and none are labled for the non-working componets. Removing the coin tray to the left of the steering wheel notes 2 fuses: a 4 amp and a 10amp both seem in good shape. Can anyone tell me where or even what capacity the fuse is. Any information on locating it would be helpful. Thanks.

Bikeman982

Paul - What year car do you have?? I have a Haynes Toyota Corolla & Geo Prizm 1993-1997 Auto repair manual number 92036 and on page 12-40 is a schematic that shows typical cigarette light, clock and audio system wiring diagram. It says it is a 20A CIG and Radio fuse (there is also a integration relay). It says it is located at the right kick panel. Check there and you should find it. There is also a 20A fuse under the left kick panel that goes to the clock. Both of those fuse boxes are inside the front on either side, under the plastic covering that runs along the wall and to the door edges. There is a small access panel on either side, but you can also unbolt it and pop out the snaps that hold it in. Hope this helps.

Guest PaulB

I have a 2005 S. I found it: for future folks looking... It is under the lefthand side of the dash between the steering wheel and the door. It is high up and partially obscured by wires running over the top of the panel. The panel is about 1"X4" black with the fuse locations printed on the outside of the panel. The 15AMP fuse marked "CIG" which is the 4th from the left on the bottom row (if you are upside down under the dash) is it. I am happy now and hopefully this may assist someone in the future. Take a flashlight with you to change it.

Bikeman982

Paul - Excellent troubleshooting and great to hear that you found it and fixed it. It certainly will help people that have the same problem and are not sure where to look or how to fix it. That's exactly the good kind of information that we like to find for us. Thanks for the update and the information.

Guest venarola

I have a toyota corolla 2001 and have the same problem. I plugged my cell phone charger into the cigarette lighter and my clock and audio deck stopped working. How do I fix this problem? I am a novice in car electronics. How much will it cost if I want it fixed by an auto shop. I appreciate any information I could get.

Bikeman982

I have a toyota corolla 2001 and have the same problem. I plugged my cell phone charger into the cigarette lighter and my clock and audio deck stopped working. How do I fix this problem? I am a novice in car electronics. How much will it cost if I want it fixed by an auto shop. I appreciate any information I could get.
If it is exactly the same problem then look in the same location for a possible bad fuse. It is common for the fuse to blow out when there is an electrical problem. I suggest you do that before you take it anywhere that may charge you just for the time to locate a bad fuse. It really is not too hard to fix and if you are unsure, ask someone who is a friend that has some abilities in that area. Hope this helps.

• 1,424 posts

Don't you guys ever consult your owner's manuals? They tell you fuse locations, pruposes, capacities, etc.

Bikeman982

Maybe people need a more laymen explanation of where things are and how to fix them than the owners manual supplies? Has anyone ever read them? I do read the repair manuals before I start to work on my cars, just to make sure I do things safely. One thing that has helped me immensely is to experiment on the cars in the junkyards to see how things come apart. It saves me a lot of broken pieces and scratched parts by learning what works and what doesn't. The cars at the junkyard are pretty well tore up and a few more broken parts won't hurt them as I learn.

Why read anything when there is all this collective knowledge in this forum??

• 1,424 posts
Maybe people need a more laymen explanation of where things are and how to fix them than the owners manual supplies? Has anyone ever read them? I do read the repair manuals before I start to work on my cars, just to make sure I do things safely. One thing that has helped me immensely is to experiment on the cars in the junkyards to see how things come apart. It saves me a lot of broken pieces and scratched parts by learning what works and what doesn't. The cars at the junkyard are pretty well tore up and a few more broken parts won't hurt them as I learn.Why read anything when there is all this collective knowledge in this forum??

Well, I've read my entire owner's manual on every car I've ever had. Which is a wise thing to do, as it lets you have some good information about your car. If no one read their manual like you postulated, then no one would be able to answer questions about how to change power door locking modes, how to get the sunroof back to an operable state when it appears to be inoperable, or how to recover if there is an error in the electronic throttle control. You sure as hell aren't going to activate any of those procedures by accident, so the only way for people to learn them is for someone to read their manual.

Now, if you don't have manuals for your car, that is another story. If you require more help than the owner's manual provides, that is a different story. I guess I just don't buy into the "come here first" theory. I would like to at least try to find the answer myself before I come here to ask.

Bikeman982

Maybe people need a more laymen explanation of where things are and how to fix them than the owners manual supplies? Has anyone ever read them? I do read the repair manuals before I start to work on my cars, just to make sure I do things safely. One thing that has helped me immensely is to experiment on the cars in the junkyards to see how things come apart. It saves me a lot of broken pieces and scratched parts by learning what works and what doesn't. The cars at the junkyard are pretty well tore up and a few more broken parts won't hurt them as I learn.

Why read anything when there is all this collective knowledge in this forum??

Well, I've read my entire owner's manual on every car I've ever had. Which is a wise thing to do, as it lets you have some good information about your car. If no one read their manual like you postulated, then no one would be able to answer questions about how to change power door locking modes, how to get the sunroof back to an operable state when it appears to be inoperable, or how to recover if there is an error in the electronic throttle control. You sure as hell aren't going to activate any of those procedures by accident, so the only way for people to learn them is for someone to read their manual.

Now, if you don't have manuals for your car, that is another story. If you require more help than the owner's manual provides, that is a different story. I guess I just don't buy into the "come here first" theory. I would like to at least try to find the answer myself before I come here to ask.

Very good points. I always read my owners manuals for my cars, but I don't retain all the information. I refer back to them when I have a problem. There are some people that just get in their car and as long as it starts and drives, they are fat, dumb and happy. When something goes wrong, it's right back to the dealer for warranty work. It could be operator error and they learn that the hard way. I recommend people purchase a repair manual such as Haynes or Chiltons and read them as well. It never hurts to be informed.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)