Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Noise From Releasing Brake

by secretzone, January 8, 2006

I have a 2000 corolla. Today with window down, I noticed that when I release the brake, I hear this low-pitch noise. I don't know how long this noise is around, since most of the time windows are closed.

no noise when I step on the brake, no noise when I am driving. I just had front brake pad replaced December 2004. checked brake fluid about two weeks ago, and it's still on the max level.

Is this noise need special attention? Is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks!

sort of a chattering growl? they might have left out the shims when they did the brakes, its not a saftey hazard just a noise issue.

It sounds more like a hissing, low-pitch squeal sound, rather than a growl.

The sound was not there before. I've had the brake replaced for over a year, and had driven 13K or so.

Could be just surface corrosion on the rotor being burned off by the pad. Doesn't take too long for corossion to set in on that rotor - more pronouced after you wash the car or have it sit for a few days outside.

Unless you noticed reduced braking or unusual braking behavior (aside from the noise) - then I wouldn't worry about it. Just have them checked out the next time you have your scheduled service or tire rotation (I do it everytime, good shops will take a peek once the tires are off).

I didn't notice any difference in braking. checked brake fluid this morning, still at max level. I listened more carefully today when I drove. The sound only appears at the stop and go traffic, i.e when I release the brake and about to step on the accelerator. I didn't hear any noise when I put car into park and then release the brake. The noise is not so much of a squeal, but more like something is releasing. It's not very noticeable unless the surrounding is very quiet.

I'll ask the mechanic to check it the next time when the car is due for service.

Thank you for your replies!

kind of like an "err r r r" sound when you let off the pedal after you've sat at a light? very low tone and very subtle? does it only happen after you've sat for a little bit with the brakes on?

also, brake fluid will not make brake noise. low fluid will trip a light on the dash, the fluid should be clear or possibly with a slight yellow tint but never black or brown. if the fluid is black or brown then you need new fluid.

kind of like an "err r r r" sound when you let off the pedal after you've sat at a light? very low tone and very subtle? does it only happen after you've sat for a little bit with the brakes on?

I know what kind of noise you are referring to, but it's not like "err r r" sound. The closest sound I can relate to is when kids jumping off a elastic bed, the noise from releasing the elastic wire.

twang? snap? *scratches head* "ow mommy i fell off and hit my head"? default_tongue

I know what kind of noise you are referring to, but it's not like "err r r" sound. The closest sound I can relate to is when kids jumping off a elastic bed, the noise from releasing the elastic wire.

Probably the rear brake shoe retractor springhooks or the shoe retainer pivot points need a dab of lubricant. Never heard of it hurting anything as it is a metal-to-metal slide as the shoes release.

It sounds more like a hissing, low-pitch squeal sound, rather than a growl. The sound was not there before. I've had the brake replaced for over a year, and had driven 13K or so.

I had the EXACT SAME ISSUE on my 2000 Corolla. I also replaced my brakes around 15000 miles ago. It looks like we're in the same boat.

The same "irking" noise as I let go of the brake pedal. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but when the weather got 5-10 degrees warmer and I went through the automatic carwash with undercarraige wash... the noise went away. It hasn't made the noise since the carwash and the warmer weather. I'll update you on how it goes.

Anyone with any suggestions?

Exactly, the noise sounds like something need lubrication.

I didn't want to go to mechanics and pay a big dough to go through a bunch of diagonistic tests. Then find out it's not safety issue. Thank you for your replies.

EddieS, do u know if mechanics usually lubricate the part as part of tune-up and brake inspection?

Zefram0911, let me know how things go with your Corolla.

I just had my car wash the other day, but didn't go through a undercarriage wash. I'll try with undercarriage wash next time.

Exactly, the noise sounds like something need lubrication. EddieS, do u know if mechanics usually lubricate the part as part of tune-up and brake inspection?
I would not think an inspection would get any lubrication/maintenance done other than adjusting the rear shoes when the drums are put back on.

Any spot lubrication should be done with a type of grease that will not heatflow and contaminate the friction surfaces.

While backing slowly, apply and release the brake pedal to adjust excess slack out of the rear brakes. May or may not help...

Bikeman982

I may be off, but I have heard noises like you describe when the brake cylinders on the wheels or the calipers retract. It is not harmful unless the seals are leaking and then some brake fluid may get on the braking surfaces. That would cause the wheel that it happens on to stick when braking and you would notice the tire noise. One solution would be to check the calipers and the wheel brake cylinders to make sure you are not leaking anywhere and also to check your brake fluid level. Sometimes if your brakes are not bled correctly you could have air in the lines and that would affect the brake operations Hope this helps.

Topic List