Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest anorbert

Guys.

Need help.

The gear shifter of the 2001 corolla didn't budge to Park when stopped at a parking lot.

Drove the care back home and had to leave the car on neutral with key on. This drained the battery.

Managed to get gear back to Park. Now it doesn't move anywhere.

What do I do ?

I look to your expertise.

Cheers.

anorbert.

There is a plastic cap near the shifter, Pry it to open, push the button down and try to move shifter.

Guest anorbert

There is a plastic cap near the shifter, Pry it to open, push the button down and try to move shifter.

Excellent help. It worked. I have the batery boosted and did a test run around the block.

Works -sofar. Why does this happen, should I be visiting the dealership if this happens again ?

Thanks again.

• 1,424 posts

Excellent help. It worked. I have the batery boosted and did a test run around the block.

Works -sofar. Why does this happen, should I be visiting the dealership if this happens again ?

Thanks again.

Your brake-shift interlock is not working properly. This safety feature is federally mandated on all new cars, as it prevents unintended sudden rapid acceleration. You should take the car to the dealer and have them check it out, because if it isn't working, your car's brake lights may also be non functional, and that is dangerous.

Guest anorbert

Thanks again.

Your brake-shift interlock is not working properly. This safety feature is federally mandated on all new cars, as it prevents unintended sudden rapid acceleration. You should take the car to the dealer and have them check it out, because if it isn't working, your car's brake lights may also be non functional, and that is dangerous.

Thanks again.

Thank you. I will visit the dealership this week.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)