Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Changing Power Steering Fluid

by Zefram0911, December 9, 2005

I'm sorry for being a noob, but what is the best way to change the power steering and transmission fluid.

I have a 2000 LE automatic.

Most of the time - a tranny drain and refill is sufficient (there is a drain plug on the bottom of the pan). You refill at the transmission dipstick (use a funnel). Just add what you've removed and you should be set - transmission should never be overfilled. For our 8th gen Corollas - seems that most drains and refills use about 3-4 quarts of ATF. Use Dexron III type ATF, the Toyota Type T-IV is NOT compatible.

For the Power Steering - it can involve removing the return hose from the rack and pumping the fluid out as you simultanously refill the reservoir. Or you can use a vacuum pump (Mityvac) or even a turkey baster (just don't get it mixed up with the regular kitchen utensils - no need for added flavoring with the turkey or ham).

Thanks fish, you're such an asset to these forums.

The trans fluid change... isn't 3-4 quarts all of the trans fluid? I thought that was pretty hard to get with just the normal drain and fill.

The power steering... how much (%) of the power steering fluid can I get with the turkey baster?

Thanks man.

I've always gotten 3-4 quarts with every drain that I've done on my 2002 Corolla. Not sure on the Matrix though, I'll check that pretty soon.

Specs list 4 quarts as total capacity - but that seems a bit low, there will be some trapped in the torque converter.

As for the powersteering (guesstimate)- turkey baster will probably exchange about a 1/3 of the fluid. Nothing spectacular, but as good as it gets unless you remove some hoses.

Topic List