See every reply in these pages:

I messed up the dates, should be 01/22/06 and 02/19/06:

http://s2.supload.com/free/Economy-20060219192305.jpg/view/

I did my dad's car:

http://s2.supload.com/free/maliburatios.jpg/view/

It's a 2004 Chevy Malibu LT

215/60/16 wheels.

His 90 MPH is my 60 MPH, heh.

So his engine is spinning at 2600 RPM at 90 MPH in fourth while my engine is spinning at 2600 RPM at 60 MPH in fifth.

I think it is time you design a 6-speed transmission and put it out into the market. I would like to be doing 1200 RPM 55 MPH in a 6th gear!

They already have that! It's a diesel!

They have low end torque so they don't need to rev that high in top gear. Or they can rev lower than a petrol equivalent engine at a higher speed in a higher gear without lugging.

An ordinary petrol engine would be lugging at the RPM that you specified.

Bikeman982

I messed up the dates, should be 01/22/06 and 02/19/06:

http://s2.supload.com/free/Economy-20060219192305.jpg/view/

I did my dad's car:

http://s2.supload.com/free/maliburatios.jpg/view/

It's a 2004 Chevy Malibu LT

215/60/16 wheels.

His 90 MPH is my 60 MPH, heh.

So his engine is spinning at 2600 RPM at 90 MPH in fourth while my engine is spinning at 2600 RPM at 60 MPH in fifth.

I think it is time you design a 6-speed transmission and put it out into the market. I would like to be doing 1200 RPM 55 MPH in a 6th gear!

They already have that! It's a diesel!

They have low end torque so they don't need to rev that high in top gear. Or they can rev lower than a petrol equivalent engine at a higher speed in a higher gear without lugging.

An ordinary petrol engine would be lugging at the RPM that you specified.

I definitely don't want a diesel.

I thought that 1200 RPM is about idle speed. The point is that it should be possible to get a good speed without too much engine speed and hopefully that will give better fuel consumption and also less engine wear and tear.

Anything under 1600 RPMs seems to lug my engine . . . I try to keep it above that.

There's a point where keeping the engine at low RPMs is bad in terms of carbon build up and making the engine do more work.

It's good to rev really high occasionally.

These engines were built for high revving.

no, the 7afe was built to get good gas mileage, good gas mileage means an engine that can produce a satisfactory amount of power at low rpms. the 7afe's head was designed to produce torque early so that you could keep low revs when driving around town which is good for mileage.

Bikeman982

no, the 7afe was built to get good gas mileage, good gas mileage means an engine that can produce a satisfactory amount of power at low rpms. the 7afe's head was designed to produce torque early so that you could keep low revs when driving around town which is good for mileage.

I agree with you that the typical Corolla was designed for good gas mileage, but I also agree with Louisville that you should go to a high rev ocassionally. I don't recommend driving it constantly at those high revs, but infrequently you need to gas it to burn off some of the built up carbon. I think idle RPM is around 1100-1200 and to constantly have it at that rate would definitely not be good for it. I was just suggestion a 6th gear would decrease the engine RPM and possible provide better fuel economy for those that constantly travel highway miles a lot in 5th gear.

I agree with you that the typical Corolla was designed for good gas mileage, but I also agree with Louisville that you should go to a high rev ocassionally. I don't recommend driving it constantly at those high revs, but infrequently you need to gas it to burn off some of the built up carbon. I think idle RPM is around 1100-1200 and to constantly have it at that rate would definitely not be good for it. I was just suggestion a 6th gear would decrease the engine RPM and possible provide better fuel economy for those that constantly travel highway miles a lot in 5th gear.

Yeah, but a decrease in RPM would require a downshift from 6th to 5th more occasionally due to the lack of power.

My engine spins at 3,000 RPMs while cruising at 70 MPH in 5th gear. The 115 lb/ft of torque comes in at 2,800 RPM so I don't have to downshift that often. Putting your foot down when the engine is spinning at 3,000 would be much easier than cruising in 6th at 2200 - 2300 RPMs (would mean the 6th gear would have a ratio of around 0.610), and having to downshift to 5th all the time.

That’s the reason why 4th and 5th gear are so close together: 0.969 vs. 0.815.

idle is i beleive (off the top of my head) around 700 rpm with the engine at operating temprature.

the heat of combustion is the same at 700 rpm as it is at 6000 rpm, the engine spinning faster DOES NOT make the air/fuel charge burn any hotter. what it does is produce more heat becuas theres more combustion happeneing (incase you try to counter that if you hold the car still and rev at high speed it'll overheat which must mean it burns hotter)

the only way to "burn carbon out" is with a topend cleaner or a GOOD injector cleaner.

Bikeman982

idle is i beleive (off the top of my head) around 700 rpm with the engine at operating temprature.

the heat of combustion is the same at 700 rpm as it is at 6000 rpm, the engine spinning faster DOES NOT make the air/fuel charge burn any hotter. what it does is produce more heat becuas theres more combustion happeneing (incase you try to counter that if you hold the car still and rev at high speed it'll overheat which must mean it burns hotter)

the only way to "burn carbon out" is with a topend cleaner or a GOOD injector cleaner.

The higher RPM works the engine components more than in a lower RPM and since all parts have a MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) it will wear them out faster. Parts tend to wear out and even being lubricated with oil and grease, they will eventually fail, otherwise cars would last forever.

drive like a sane person, change oil and filter on a consistant and appropriate schedule, and toss in a bottle of techron 2x a year, you'll be just fine.

Bikeman982

You forgot to mention - "Watch out for the other guy!".

Topic List