Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Adding A Tach

Guest srowe930

NEED HELP!!! what do i need to do to add a tach to my car? and how much will it cost?

Need more info - year, model, etc.

Auto or manual transmission? Aftermarket or OEM style tach?

Guest srowe930

1993 corolla dx sedan

im looking to replace my entire new guage cluster and include a tach in doing so but i dont know what to do to have a tach wired into my guage cluster

Find a 7th generation Corolla - preferrably one the same modle year but with the gauge cluster you want (etc. LE trim) and swap that unit for yours. Should be plug and go - wiring harness should be the same and plugs in (if same generation, usually best to stay in same year to avoid running changes).

If going all new (aftermarket)- you will need to tap off your ignition coil to get the tach signal. Most have three main connections - power, ground, and signal.

Guest srowe930

but what if my car doesnt have a tach to begin with?

Should still be OK - The RPM signal comes from the crank sensor (counts revolution of the crankshaft to determine your RPMs). So your car already has the right connections and sensors - just didn't come with a tach. I'm pretty sure most cars are this way and for the 1993-2002 Corollas - this has been well documented.

i have done this , and putting a wire to your negative ignition coil will cause ingition problems. what you need to do is put the power wire to a empty place in the kick panel fuse box. advanced auto parts sells a part to make this easy. i forget what it is called , but it will basically splice that wire to an empty fuze space. then take your ground wire , and just ground it to something. then take the wire that reads the rpms, and put it throught the firewall. attacht it to the diagnostic port that reads rpms. it is in a haines manuel for the car.

Are you acually buying a whole guage cluster? You can just get a aftermarket tach from any parts store. It would make for a much faster install. It won't look stock, but you can get small ones and not the large ricey or race ones.

Guest srowe930

yeah im think i would avoid alotta trouble if just buy an small aftermarket tach and mount it to the side.

"If going all new (aftermarket)- you will need to tap off your ignition coil to get the tach signal. Most have three main connections - power, ground, and signal. "

is there a write-up for this? or more detailed instructions b/c im kinda a noob

Might be able to find instructions on the manufacturer's site. I haven't found a really good writeup on aftermarket tachs - since there are so many factors that could influence the operation. Example - tapping off the coil or sensing the signal from the hot line works in some instances - other times, you have to get the signal from the ECM or crank position sensor. Depends on the tach's electronics.

Topic List