Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Location of Purge valve etc.

by dave99rolla, April 8, 2004

I have a 99 corolla (62k miles). My check engine light came on recently, so I went to autozone to have it scanned. The code came back as P0441 which corresponds to EVAP system incorrect purge flow detected. I called the dealer and they said it is either the charcoal canister or the purge valve. Does this sound right? If it does, can someone tell me where the purge valve is (on the canister or under the hood?) If it is easy to get to I would like to change it myself and save the labor charge. Thanks in advance for any advice...

Dave

Sorry to hear that. If you look around the post, this is not an uncommon problem - some, have had terrible luck with the dealer. Sounds like one of the VSV (vacuum switching valves) is stuck or malfunctioning. The canister purge valve, pressure switching valve, and canister vent valves are all VSVs.

The EVAP canister vent valve and purge valves are located under the hood, connected to the rearmost exterior of the air box (I'm ****uming that your vechile is US spec 1998-2002 model years). If it is the fuel tank pressure valve/sensor or pressure switching valve - they ar epart of the charcoal canister you got to drop under the car and remove the charcoal canister from right above the crossmember and between the tank and spare tire well.

You can check the valves yourself - I did on my 2002 Corolla and saved well over $350, ended up being a $8 valve gasket and dirty electrical contacts. But I would highly recommend buying a shop manual - the procedure is not hard, but very specific and time consuming.

If your not 100% messing with - then take it to the dealer. You don't want to start fooling around under there and accidently knock off some hoses or snap off some electrical connectors - really easy to do.

Hope this help. Good Luck.

thanks for the advice, I will check it out

dave

When you were referring to the valves that were under the hood, did you mean the one behind the airbox, mounted to a metal bracket, with 2 vacuum lines and 1 electrical connector?

Dave

That's it. The purge valve is the one closest to you directly attached to the metal bracket - the canister vent valve is the one right above it.

Topic List