Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Change For My Corolla 2000

by bluechalice, August 4, 2005

I am getting ready to go for my oil change this Saturday but I have a few questions bugging me recently...

The last oil change I had was last year...sometime in sept 04...that was with 20794miles...now I think I have around 26000 miles...

I dont know what oil toyota dealers use...but its most likely just regular and not synthetic...and they used a toyota oil filter on it...

Right now I dont feel like going back to the dealer to get this done...so I have opted to go to just regular places like Brakemasters, EZlube etc...or to a regular mechanic...

I was thinking of switching to Mobil 1 synthetic to see if theres any difference...so with the regular oil in the car...do they have to do a lot of work to flush out the old oil? and will this incur extra charges(besides the difference in oil price)....I saw in Autozone they are having this special for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter for $30...is that a good price?

I also read here somewhere that Mobil 1 might be overkill for a corolla?

my mechanic said he uses 76 oil...Do you know what motor oil he is talking about?

So right now I am just trying to make a decision to go synthetic or just go to a regular oil change before my long trip to move cross country...about 2000 miles away...

Just to be clear on subject. You have not changed oil almost for 1 year?

Yup didnt change oil all these while...should have done it more often...but we dont use the car too much we've had it for 5 year and only 26000 miles on it...

I just called the mechanic and he said switching over to synthetic doesnt need a flush out...just drain regular oil and fill with synthetic...is that ok for my corolla 2000 with 26000 miles on it? any problems with it?

dont use the other places, you should get the dealer to change it...that'd be best. I wouldnt mess with changing to synthetic but I would make sure to start the car and let it run once a week if youre not driving it much, just to keep the oil circulated in the motor.

With the mileage that you put on your car - I would go with regular dino and change it twice a year or with synthetic changed once a year.

Don't need a flush to prep the car for synthetic - just drain the oil oil and refill with synthetic.

If synthetic is overkill - that is your decision. You can find good supporting arguments for both types of oil. But the main consensus is that regular dino is still good stuff - just change it more often, synthetic can go farther on a change than dino. Kind of like regular sparkplugs vs platinum plugs. Both will do well in most instances, just that platinum wears longer.

I know they have Toyota Express Lube for $27.95...what type of oil is the Toyota Engine oil?

Hey Fishexpo...what is Dino oil?

Would synthetic be better for the engine and power overall?

Recently I drove the corolla and noticed that it doesnt have much power...I am thinking for replacing my air filter too...do you guys recommend any type or airfilter? I remember 01loadedLE said something about K&N filters with high airflow? are those the $9 ones or the $40 ones?

Also is replacing the air filter easy as popping off the cover and replacing it with the new one?

By Dino oil - I mean conventional motor oil. If synthetic is better for the engine or power - that is still up for debate.

My experience is that synthetics are better for extended oil changes and people who need oil with high temperature stability and low temperature flow. I have seen slight improved fuel economy gains when I switched to synthetics and have not noticed any oil consumption.

I also am running a K&N filter for testing purposes. Have not noticed much power gains from it - but it should does sound louder in the airbox. Fuel economy has also improved slightly - but I will need to run it a full year to compare it to the regular paper elements that I have run before. Price varies quite a bit on them - I've seen them as low as $30 to as much as $60.

Changing the air filter would probably be one of the easiest thing that you can do - no tools needed, just pop the spring clips off the airbox and replace oil filter with new one. Just make sure that the tab clips on the back engage the slots in the bottom half of the air box for a good seal.

I read that the K&N filter can be washed? how do you go about washing that? just a simple hose down with water?

Hmmm...I dont know but if synthetic has a few advantages over regular I might just use that...I saw at Autozone they are having a special for 5 Quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 oil filter for $30.

$30 is not bad - I usually get Mobil 1 for about $4 a quart, sale dependant.

K&N filters can be reused - basically you dislodge the big bits first, hose them down with a special cleaning solvent, rinse with water, dry, and re-oil. The oil is the key - without it the filter is useless.

http://www.knfilters.com/clningins.htm

If you change your oil once a year, I would get that Mobil 1 oil and filter deal.

Warm your engine up for a few minuets to get the oil thin, then shut it off so you don't burn yourself tring to change the oil. Let that year old oil drain out for at least ten minuets before you put the drain plug back in.

I'm not sure how long mobil 1 can sit in a engine, but regular oil should be changed at least once every 6 months. Going longer then 6K miles or 6 months is asking for trouble. Regular dino oil can start to gel up after that.

I was wondering it the Drain Plug Gasket need to be changed often? and if so can I just buy one at like autozone thats the right size?

Also I am wanting to top off all the fluids in the engine...like windshield, steering, etc...I really wanna do this myself...do most of you do the refill yourself? Like get the stuff from Toyota dealer and just fill to the max line?

Max

Windshield washer fluid is available almost everywhere, even grocery stores! I don't use Toyota OEM fluid for much other than anti-freeze/coolant. I pick up brake fluid and power steering fluid at an auto parts store and top off when necessary, which isn't often. You should chnage your drain plug gasket at every oil change, and you can get those at the dealer or at auto parts stores.

blue youre still under warranty so stay on regular oil and keep changing the oil at the dealer. if you do it yourself or get a quick lube place to do it then youre much more likely to get screwed from toyota for any warranty work, even if you keep receipts as proof of your/their work because they will accuse you/them of doing inferior work compared to using the dealer.

Hey how is my car still under warranty? which one? I thought sometime last year I my warranty ended...how many types of warranty are there? right now I have 26000 miles and the car was bought in 2000....

Today I went into Autozone to pick up the $30 for 5 Qts of Mobil 1 5W-30 and Mobil 1 oil filter(M1-103)...almost got a bad one...the guy went off to help someone else and I checked and opened the oil filter and looked inside and DARN it had a STP oil filter in it!!!! default_blink So I just went and got another one...phew!!!

I called my toyota and they said I could bring in my own synthetic oil and filter and they will just charge me $14 for the service...

Today I also had my mechanic turned/grinded the rotors and replaced the brake shoes...total was $55(brought in my own brake shoes from toyota)...

I think the rotors were warped thats why all this while it was making a clacking noise....but now its ok...

I cant remember off hand what the limit is, someone else here can answer that I bet. make sure the mechanics use that mobil1 oil on your car instead of swapping it with plain oil. I'd watch them do the change if I could.

Yeah I thought about that too...and the toyota dealer I go to...their workshop is located in the back where you cant see it...thats why I dont trust them...might swap some other parts too while I am not watching...I might just go to my mechanic that I trust...

In the Ottawa area, there's some Midas stores that change oil and filter for $19.95, cheap compared to the $30+ that the local dealers charge.

The good thing about Midas is that it's a small shop, and you can hang around and watch the guy work. At this price, I'm tempted to supply my own oil and filter (making sure he doesn't swap my goods, of course).

The bad thing about Midas (there always has to be a bad thing, doesn't it?) is my lone experience taking my GMC van to them. Frozen washer fluid tank/line. The guy tells me the fluid pump is busted: $90. I say no thanks, and take it to my other mechanic who is a bit further away. After flushing out the line by melting the frozen 'antifreeze' with hot water, the pump worked like a charm: he charged me $15 for his effort, I give him $20 'keep the change'.

friendly_jacek

I would make sure to start the car and let it run once a week if youre not driving it much, just to keep the oil circulated in the motor.

This is not a good advice. when my father was ill, he arranged for someone to do that to his car. The oil gelled (sludged) from moisture in a few months.

If a car (or boat) is not used for extended period (3 months or longer), one should fog the engine and put stabil in gas. Nothing else is needed (Ii mean for engine, sure one should care for battery, tires, exterior, etc).

BTW, quality oil, synthetic or dino (such as heavy duty mixed fleet oils) can last one year easily. Average oil and especially with short trip driving only lasts 6 months. Hence, most cars makers in US recommend 6 months intervals.

that couldve happened beforehand also. that is good advice for his situation since he's likely not letting it setup for several months at a time. if youre in the military and leaving your car for extended periods of time then also make sure to put your car up on jack stands so your tires wont ruin from sitting in the same spot all that time.

a guy on another forum left his car with new tires sitting for awhile then came back to ruined new tires to where he had to buy another new set. he also had rat damage to the car so set rat traps around it before you leave. lol

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)