Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

C50 transmision

by RTCorolla, March 24, 2004

I have a 90 corolla with a C50 manual transmision and 4AFE engine. I want to swap in a 4AGZE and use the same C50 transmision is this possible. Will the C50 trans mate up with the 4AGZE engine?

If memory serves me correctly - both the engines are 1.6L 16V variants to about 1991 or later when they started releasing 20V normally aspirated engines. The 4AFE was compatible with the GE heads (16V or 20V) - the GZE variant was supercharged. Although - most found a complete engine swap was better than just swapping the heads.

The bellhousings are slightly different between the two engines - but even if you got them to line up - the biggest problem is fitting the clutch and flywheel from the 4AGZE into the C50 bellhousing. I believe that the 4AGZE have a 224mm clutch diameter and your 4AFE has a 214mm clutch. You really don't have any slop in that bellhousing - that 10mm (~0.5") difference is big enough that the tranmission will not mate correctly. The only way to get it to fit is to some crazy machining or fitting a different flywheel/clutch/plate that will work with the 4AGZE - but you will run the risk of burning up the clutch (even performance ones) and risk balancing issues - could blow apart at higher RPMs if you modify it incorrectly.

You could probably do the swap - but the parts involved in modifying the tranny will probably cost more than the donor engine itself.

IF i used a C52 transmission ofa 4AGE engine will the C52 mate correctly with the 4AGZE? Does the C52 have the space for the 224mm clutch diameter of the 4AGZE? Thanks

It should - depends on the donor car. Most get C52 trannys from older MR2, Celicas and some Corollas. The C52 takes either a larger clutch than the C50, I think they start at the 214mm size and up - and most use this as a good starting point for a project car. Since the 4AGE and the 4AGZE are so closely related - bolt pattern should not be a major issue.

Might be easier to get the 4AGZE motor with the correct tranny mated up with it as a unit and mod that to your current car. I helped a buddy do that for a AE86 Corolla and I think he paid about $1800 for a rebuilt engine and tranny combo with wiring harness. I do more Hondas than toyotas due to the vast availability of aftermarket parts and tried and trued engine/trans swaps - but going with the C52 transmission will probably give you less headaches down the road with the 4AGZE swap, since most have found it to be a much stronger unit.

Good luck.

Topic List