Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How To Advance Ignition Timing On A 1999 Corolla?

Guest billybengal

Hi,

Does anyone know how to advance timing on a 99 corolla?

Is there a way to do it at home without buying any chips or reprogramming the computer?

If not, what are the ways to do it?

Thanks in advance because I got no idea how it can be done on a car that does not have a cap and rotor.

p.s. I would appreciate if you could provide me with a cost if a chip or some special parts need to be purchased.

On the 1ZZ-FE - you have to chip it to or go with a piggyback computer to adjust the timing. Toyota ROMs are not eazy to reprogramming - going with a piggyback retains most of the ECM main function but allowing you to tailor certain aspects of it.

Good example is a GReddy eManage. Cost - about $250-$300 just for the computer. Then factor in either an in-car programmer for another $300-$400 or spend $100-$200 for desktop/notebook software to do the same. Have to buy harnesses separately - depending on what you want to control - runs about $50 each. You could easily spend close to $1000.

If it is for a turocharged or other forced induction project - then you have no other recourse. If you do this with a N/A project - don't expect huge gains. Most have reported making an extra 3-5 WHP only. Since the 1ZZ-FE is already pretty optimized - not much more you can do with timing tricks - unless durabilty is low on your list.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)