Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Brake And Suspension Upgrades For 2000

by russkiypenguin, March 24, 2005

I can't seem to find a better caliper for the 2000 Corolla. If I can't get better calipers are better pads and rotors really going to make much of a difference?

Also, what luck has anyone else had in stiffening the suspension? I see that PDM Racing has adjustable swaybars here: http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/toyota_corner.html. I'm thinking performance coil-overs and struts if someone sells some that are half decent.

Probably the two least expensive options to improve braking performance are upgraded tires and brake pad material. OEM material is a good all around performer but set more for comfort and long life than better bite and fade resistance. Just upgrading the stock footprint size of the tire will make the car handle like a totally different car.

Not a whole lot you can do with the suspension - Corolla is not setup or designed with ultimate handling in mind - there are other cars in the Toyota stable that carry that flag. Adjustable sway bars (Hotchkis has a set for 8th gen Corollas) and coil overs will be the best for adjustability and performance - but the coil overs will destroy any ride you have in the car. But some are into that - Teins, H&R, Bilsteins, Ground Control, Tanabe, Koni, JIC, B+G, Skunk2, and a few others have good reviews.

I am going to probably go to 16" rims and 205/45x16 tires. and if pads are all I can do then I guess I'll just have to deal.

I do understand that I won't get ultimate suspension, but there has to be something better than the standard body roll and squirming about on the highway. And if it helps I should explain mjy situation. Single guy. Not getting married again. No kids. I drive a Corolla because it is cheap reliable transportation with good efficiency. I know it's an economy sedan by design and I don't expect it to handle like the 95 vette I used to drive, but like I said there has to be something better than this stock suspension.

I agree - don't have to stick with the OEM setup if it doesn't work for you.

My current setup - 205/45R16 wheel and tire upgrade, stock calipers and OEM rotor (Brembo blank) with Hawk HPS pads, TRD lowering springs on KYB struts, only had to roll the rear fenders just slightly and trim off some of the mudflap for clearance issues.

Ride is as smooth as stock on good roads, no problem rubbing on bigger bumps as the TRD don;t drop it too much but still firm enough to control excessive motion. Sway bars might be next - but I just needed to tighten up the car a bit, don't need it to go auto-x with. Just with the tire and pad upgrade - braking performance was transformed from adequate to more than satisfactory - never feel I will run out of brake (no close calls, no brake fade).

Plus cost has to be reasonable - this is supposed to be an economical car to own - with some good deals and smart shopping - installing it myself - everything set me back about $900, including any tools I needed to do the install.

I wondered if the TRD springs would work. One of the TRD sites I looked at had suspension parts but I had a hard time figuring out if they'd fit on my year of Corolla. I was looking at http://www.trdsales.com/shop/product.asp?catcode=335

And I'm with you on the cost thing. I want it to not roll so much but if grew much over 1k I'd just accept it and hope to get a stiffer suspension in my next car(about 5 years away from that).

Dai_Shan

Fish, you have any pic's of your corolla? I have been very interested in the springs for awhile...and like references as far as how it'll look. Granted witht he wheel upgrade..things will look different then my stock alloy's.

Do you have to worry about hittin curb's now when you park?

I’m interested as well. I’m debating the stock 16” alloys with a wider 205/55/16 vs. 17” aftermarket wheels with 215/45/17 Azenis ST-115s.

I don’t want to add spacers or any mods to make the fit.

The TRD springs are made by Eibach - you should have no problem finding fitment for a 8th gen Corolla.

As soon as the weather clears up and I get some free time time - I'll post some pics of the before and after shots of my Corolla on TRD springs. Maybe a how to on how I did them as well - just need to free up some time.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)