Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Bull6791

Coolant Flush

Members

TURBO POWER EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT ORANGE say it is JAPANESE STANDARD JIS K2234 approved so it should be compatible with Toyota red and pink coolant.

Like I said at 60,000 mechanic did a coolant flush and put in TURBO POWER EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT ORANGE.

I am putting same coolant in so I only have to do drain and refill.

Just do not know drain and refill: every 30,000 or every 60,000

Any info would be great

Frank.

Edited by Bull6791

If you are going to stick with Turbo Power Extended Life coolant - then yes, just a drain and refill will be fine. If you are going to switch coolants, even though they may be compatible, usually procedure is to completely flush the old coolant out and replace with new coolant. Compatible doesn't mean it will play nice with the existing coolant - it means that the additive package will not destroy the cooling system in the car.

If you stick with the same coolant - then follow the manufacturer's recommended schedule. Could be as short as 30K miles, or could be as long as 150K miles - see what the bottle says. I haven't used this particular coolant, so I can't say what the interval should be.

Most DIYer's tend to stick with a conservative schedule - more for convenience than anything else - with the Toyota fluids, I like to change out the PInk stuff ever 60K miles, Red gets it at 30K miles. The coolant can go longer, but I stick to conservative schedules to give me a pretty big buffer just in case something comes up and I get sidetracked with other projects. This also gives you a chance to address issues that might have happened (leaking water pump, etc.) - catch them early before they become something more expensive.

Edited by fishexpo101

Fish

Turbo power extended says it meets JAPANESE STANDARD JIS K 2234. Does that make it comAble with Toyota coolant.

What standard is Toyota coolant.

TURBO POWER EXTENDED all it says is 5yr/150,000 miles. It says nothing about additional coolant changes.

Thanks

Frank

I mentioned it in my post above - "Compatible doesn't mean it will play nice with the existing coolant - it means that the additive package will not destroy the cooling system in the car."

The standards only tell them what they have to meet to make sure they don't destroy the part they are intended to be used on, as far as lubrication, heat transfer, additive package. etc. Manufacturers are pretty free to mix their own cocktail of additive packages - each will "meet" the standard, but may not be interchangeable with each other.

Assuming that the mechanic did a full flush and replaced everything with the Turbo Power coolant, then pick a schedule that fits your available time. You know that the coolant supposed to protect you up to 150K miles or 5 years - whichever comes first. So you know the max point - just pick something before that point and you'll be good to go.

Both Toyota Red and Pink meet the JIS K 2234 standard. They also have to meet the Toyota TSK2601G coolant spec, this is unique to Toyota only - their own requirements for the coolant. Hence my mentioning that the standard does not equate to 100% cross-compatibility of chemistry.

I think it was BASF and Totachi and possibly Nulon that blended this formulation up (those are the major chemistry players involved, from what I gathered so far) only Nulon and Totachi "makes" coolants for automobiles, but they look different than the Toyota spec'd ones.

COOLANT FLUSH USING TOYOTA RED COOLANT QUESTION:

Car takes 6.9 quarts of coolant per owners manual. After car is completely flushed I add red coolant.

ADDING RED COOLANT:

Fill radiator first with 3.5 quarts RED COOLANT. Then put on top 3.5 quarts of distilled water. This will give you your 50/50 mix.

When you drive around does coolant and water get mixed in radiator.

Also how many quarts come out and what is process for just drain and refill

Thanks Frank.

How do you flush it? What coolant and water you add depends on what's left in your cooling system. If you flush it well with water, add 3.5 quarts of concentrated coolant, then top off with distilled water.

Edited by dom

COOLANT FLUSH USING TOYOTA RED COOLANT QUESTION:

Car takes 6.9 quarts of coolant per owners manual. After car is completely flushed I add red coolant.

ADDING RED COOLANT:

Fill radiator first with 3.5 quarts RED COOLANT. Then put on top 3.5 quarts of distilled water. This will give you your 50/50 mix.

When you drive around does coolant and water get mixed in radiator.

Also how many quarts come out and what is process for just drain and refill

Thanks Frank.

Also how would I use the vacuum from black stone lab to pump out coolant from coolant reservoir. Do I have to put a empty container under.

Where is water pump located. Since I am doing a coolant flush I thought it would be a good time to check whole coolant system for leaks.

Do it exactly like dom mentioned - if you plan on flushing it with distilled water.

After it is flushed with distilled, drain it one more time (~4 quarts of so of water will drain from the radiator), refill with 3.5 quarts of Toyota Red, top the rest off with distilled. You only have to make sure that you put in 3.5 quarts of coolant, the rest of the system will be filled with distilled water. After you add coolant, top off with water.

You have a 50/50 mix of coolant in the system. Coolant will rapidly mix with the distilled water via diffusion, once it cycles though the engine once - it will be completely mixed.

Make sure you mix up the remaining 0.5 quart of coolant with 0.5 quarts of distilled water to top off the reservoir (assumed at this point, you remembered to flush the reservoir as well). Excess coolant and air bubbles will be expelled into the reservoir when the engine is hot, when it cools, it will draw in coolant it needs to completely fill the system. Make sure you keep an eye on the reservoir to make sure it stays full.

You can use it to siphon out the reservoir - though it might take a while. Easier to remove it, if you can, drain it out that way. That Blackstone siphon pump may work without the bottle attached to it - not sure though. Try it and find out. I know on my Mityvac pump, it will not work without the container attached to the assembly, no vacuum produced, so it won't siphon anything.

Water pump is on the pulley side of the engine, sort of below the alternator - nestled in the middle of the other pulleys. Usually don't have to worry about this until it starts to leak from the weep hole. Once you see the pump, you'll understand.

Not a bad idea to check on the hoses as well - visually inspect for obvious signs of damage, squeeze them as well, see if there are any soft spots along their length (can be tough to check, some have reinforcement material inside).

Also how would I use the vacuum from black stone lab to pump out coolant from coolant reservoir. Do I have to put a empty container under.
Where is water pump located. Since I am doing a coolant flush I thought it would be a good time to check whole coolant system for leaks.

Fish

I do not know if bottle will come out. I mean reservoir.

After I do flush. The next time I will do drain and refill. For a drain and refill you open radiator petcock and let radiator drain. You close radiator petcock and fill radiator with coolant. Obviously it will be less water and coolant than on a flush.

If I ad toyota pink to the red that is in there should I flush out the red first.

Thanks Frank.

Edited by Bull6791

If you do a drain and refill - just add what was drained out with exact amount of 50/50 mix (doesn't matter if it is Red + distilled, or Pink premixed).