Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dodgiereigh

''the Fuel System Is Extremely Dirty"

Guest dodgiereigh

Hello, i am a newbie here and would like to seek your advice. I went to a nearby auto repair shop as i had a check engine light on in my 2001 Corolla.

The shop reported the following problems:

1. the mass air flow sensor is failing

2. the charcoal canister is failing

3. the fuel system is extremely dirty

For problem #1 I did some online research and eventually managed to clean the the mass air flow sensor with a electronic contact clear i got from Radioshack.

For problem #2, i am resigned to the fact that i would need to replace the charcoal canister as it is not serviceable.

For problem #3, i would like to seek the experts here how they would approach it.

Thank you very much.

Dodgie

Edited by dodgiereigh

trap

Welcome to the forums.

As for the MAF being dirty - pretty commonplace on all vehicles that use mass-air flow metering. As you found, that can be cleaned yourself in most cases.

For issues #2 and #3 - curious on how the shop determined this was the case. Did you have a check engine light come on? Do you have the particular codes that were stored on the ECM?

On this generation of Corolla - you could get an EVAP code of P0440, P0442, P0446 either one or some combination of those codes. Almost every mechanic will blame the vapor canister, but in 9/10 times, the vapor canister is perfectly fine. The only time I'd suspect the vapor canister being faulty is if I see a physical crack in the case or if you have a habit of topping off the gas tank. In most cases of EVAP related codes, they involve faulty or sticking VSV valves, clogged or leaking vacuum hoses, or leaking check valves on the top of the tank.

I'd recommend getting the EVAP system "smoke" checked before you commit to any repair. A smoke check generally uses a special wand and/or smoke to fill and pressurize the EVAP system. Then the tech just needs to direct the wand along the length of the EVAP system to find leaks / look for the tell tale smoke coming from a larger leak.

Fuel system "extremely" dirty is almost impossible to verify unless they took the fuel rail off or dropped the tank. My feeling is, give the MAF and EVAP, they will try and fleece you some extra money for a "fuel system service". IMO - right there, that is a definite red flag to bail on this particular shop.

Hello, i am a newbie here and would like to seek your advice. I went to a nearby auto repair shop as i had a check engine light on in my 2001 Corolla.

The shop reported the following problems:

1. the mass air flow sensor is failing

2. the charcoal canister is failing

3. the fuel system is extremely dirty

For problem #1 I did some online research and eventually managed to clean the the mass air flow sensor with a electronic contact clear i got from Radioshack.

For problem #2, i am resigned to the fact that i would need to replace the charcoal canister as it is not serviceable.

For problem #3, i would like to seek the experts here how they would approach it.

Thank you very much.

Dodgie

Try another shop! Was it a national chain that told you what you need? Please post codes so we can Google them, or in the case of the other poster, give advice.

Honestly those codes are your next step.

Edited by Sonix