Sign in to follow this  
LabtecDaN

Steering Wheel

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla and I want to replace the tan steering wheel with the corolla S (black one) wheel. What are some things that I need to take note of such as Air Bag, parts and if it is a straight install. Thanks.

trap

That is pretty much how it works - pull power, let it set for a minute to let the capacitors die down in the bag (still exercise caution, bag could still go off it you mess with it). Make sure your wheels are pointed straight ahead, steering wheel dead straight for reference. Remove screws on side, disconnect and remove bag, remove steering wheel, replace new wheel, connect and install bag, replace screws - done.

That is pretty much how it works - pull power, let it set for a minute to let the capacitors die down in the bag (still exercise caution, bag could still go off it you mess with it). Make sure your wheels are pointed straight ahead, steering wheel dead straight for reference. Remove screws on side, disconnect and remove bag, remove steering wheel, replace new wheel, connect and install bag, replace screws - done.

What tools would I need to remove the steering wheel? Do you know what the size the nut is in the center of the wheel?

You'll need a steering wheel puller - looks like a bar with two long bolts on the side that thread into the steering wheel and a central jacking screw to pry the wheel off its shaft assembly. Make sure to mark the steering wheel and shaft assembly to be able to return them to the right position (transfer this over to the new wheel). Not sure what size that center bolt is off the top of my head, but you'll need to torque it to 25 ft.lbs after you replace it.