Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Daytime Running Lights

by Cyberbilly, September 23, 2007

How can you disable the Daytime Running Lights in a 2002 LE?

Guest kadaboon

I've got a 2003-S, two things bugging me, DRL and lights that never turn off whenever I want them to. The lights have this nice safety feature of turning on when it gets dark, but when ever I want my lights off, it doesn't do it. How do I make my lights turn off when I command it to at night.

The DRL system and the automatic lighting system are the same on the Corolla. Basically with DRL, your headlights run in a low-powered mode all the time. Auto-lights system fully turns on your low beams when it turns dusk or dark out. This system was originally pioneered by Toyota/Lexus as a luxury feature on the LS400. Today, its pretty much standard on all cars, along side DRL.

Unfortunately, since both the DRL system and the auto-lights system use the same control, disabling DRL means you also lose auto-lights. Your headlights become completely under your control (or lack of, if you forget). I personally prefer that. I like things on my car to be completely under my control. Now if only I had a manual transmisson... default_sad

http://vamp.darkravers.net/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=107

This site works for all 8th gen Corollas (1998-2002). I used it to disable my DRLs on my 98'. Vamp also has a bunch of other cool do-it-yourselfs on his site.

That worked! Thanks. Now I am DRL-less and I prefer it that way. default_tongue

Bikeman982

<a href="http://vamp.darkravers.net/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=107" target="_blank">http://vamp.darkravers.net/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=107</a>

This site works for all 8th gen Corollas (1998-2002). I used it to disable my DRLs on my 98'. Vamp also has a bunch of other cool do-it-yourselfs on his site.

That worked! Thanks. Now I am DRL-less and I prefer it that way. default_tongue

I wish everybody would disable their DRL's.

They are an annoyance I would rather not have.

Bike,

Why are they annoying?

Its not like they are blaring at you?

tdk.

Now, would this work on a 99' Prizm??

I don't see why not.

I don't see why not.

hmm. I'm looking at my wire diagram and my red and blue wire is Pin#14 which connects to the Parking Brake Switch. I guess that sort of make sense seeing that the DRL also turns on right after releasing the hand brake. But I'm not sure if that is the right wire to cut.

Pin#23 which is a red and yellow wire connects to the Junction Block 3 behind the center of the dash.

You might try and see if a dealership will give you instructions on how to disable the DRLs on the Prism. About 98% of the electricals are the same between the clones (Corolla/Prism) - but those subtle differences can be a big issue. Technician should be able to hook you up - as there are area that you need control over your headlamps (light activated gates, military bases, etc.) Or if you feeling adventuresome, you could just cut it - find out if it works. If it doesn't, just need to throw on a butt-connector and try something else.

I'm not messing with my wires like that. I'd rather be positive and do it all at once correctly. Thanks a lot man, I'm calling a dealership and see if they either laugh at me or actually help me.

Bikeman982

Bike,

Why are they annoying?

Its not like they are blaring at you?

tdk.

I had Lasik eye surgery and my eyes are sensitive to all lights.

They are especially sensitive to bright lights and lights that are on during daylight.

When I look in my rear view mirror and I see a car with lights, it annoys me.

I know they are a safety feature, but I don't have trouble seeing cars without DRL's.

Ok, so none of the dealerships would help with disabling my DRLs. I already knew they wouldn't help me but it was worth a try. See, I live in Jersey, and I think Jersey law is a bit to strict, and anything that is a standard "safety" feature on a car (such as DRLs) should not be tampered with. If I get into an accident, I and whoever help me (such as any dealership, any mechanic, a friend) to disable my car will get sued. I understand features like the airbag, the seat beat, TPM system if equiped, those features make sense. But DRLs, now thats BS

I say, if a person hits me during daytime because he/she claims that they didn't see me shouldn't even be on the road. It's not like I'm blazing through suburban streets or driving like I'm racing againts everyone or the road. I'm a defensive driver. If I get hit because some dumbass decided to do some dumbass thing and got his dumbass into accident, then this dumbass should be the one to get his dumbass sued.

So, If any body knows what wire to cut, PLEASE let me know. Remember, my 99' Prizm's wirings are different from the Corollas. I tried unplugging the fuses related to DRLs but that just makes one thing work and another not work. One fuse when un-plugged would allow me to turn off my headlight when I turn the headlight swith ON. The DRL relay when un-plugged would turn off my the DRLs, but in return keeps the my side lights on. You got to laugh at it.

Bikeman982

Ok, so none of the dealerships would help with disabling my DRLs. I already knew they wouldn't help me but it was worth a try. See, I live in Jersey, and I think Jersey law is a bit to strict, and anything that is a standard "safety" feature on a car (such as DRLs) should not be tampered with. If I get into an accident, I and whoever help me (such as any dealership, any mechanic, a friend) to disable my car will get sued. I understand features like the airbag, the seat beat, TPM system if equiped, those features make sense. But DRLs, now thats BS

I say, if a person hits me during daytime because he/she claims that they didn't see me shouldn't even be on the road. It's not like I'm blazing through suburban streets or driving like I'm racing againts everyone or the road. I'm a defensive driver. If I get hit because some dumbass decided to do some dumbass thing and got his dumbass into accident, then this dumbass should be the one to get his dumbass sued.

So, If any body knows what wire to cut, PLEASE let me know. Remember, my 99' Prizm's wirings are different from the Corollas. I tried unplugging the fuses related to DRLs but that just makes one thing work and another not work. One fuse when un-plugged would allow me to turn off my headlight when I turn the headlight swith ON. The DRL relay when un-plugged would turn off my the DRLs, but in return keeps the my side lights on. You got to laugh at it.

I don't have a Prizm, but my suggestion is to get a wiring schematic and examine the DRL portion.

You could probably figure out which wire(s) to disconnect. It might also mean bypassing a relay or two.

Definiley a reliability problem for the dealers and they won't risk getting sued by tampering with a safety feature.

I don't have a Prizm, but my suggestion is to get a wiring schematic and examine the DRL portion.

You could probably figure out which wire(s) to disconnect. It might also mean bypassing a relay or two.

Definiley a reliability problem for the dealers and they won't risk getting sued by tampering with a safety feature.

Actually, there is a TSB out there that provides instructions to the dealer on how to disable the DRLs. If Toyota published the instructions on how to disable the DRLs, that would certainly imply that Toyota was OK with the idea. I'm no lawyer, but that might shield the dealer from liability. Not sure if a similar service bulletin exists for the Prizm.

Bikeman982

Actually, there is a TSB out there that provides instructions to the dealer on how to disable the DRLs. If Toyota published the instructions on how to disable the DRLs, that would certainly imply that Toyota was OK with the idea. I'm no lawyer, but that might shield the dealer from liability. Not sure if a similar service bulletin exists for the Prizm.

If the dealer has the instructions - why won't he disable them for people??

If the dealer has the instructione - why won't he disable them for people??

Because they would loose a lawsuit if they did it. It's part of their insurance.

Topic List